Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 01:24 AM   #1  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Default Memphis in May for the Worldly Chicks

Ok ladies - say goodbye to Australia - it was a lovely visit. Pack a book, get comfy - we're traveling "across the pond" and spending the month of May in Memphis, TN - U.S.A.

Trying not to complicate the thread with lots of graphics so I'll give you a visual tour as you touch down.

Not that big of an airport, is it? At least you don't have to lug your luggage far - hey - is that the definition of luggage - stuff you lug? Ok, as we cruise out of the airport, notice the huge airfield off to the left. That's the home base of FedEx formerly known as Federal Express - when it absolutely, positively, HAS to be there overnight - or in a day or two. Let's swing by downtown on our way out of the airport (can you tell DH is driving). Memphis is rich in music history - some say Memphis is the birth place of modern rock and roll. There's Sun Records which was known for giving notable musicians such as Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, and Johnny Cash their first recording contracts and helping to launch their careers. There's also the Stax Records which created the popular Memphis Blues and Southern Soul sounds. We'll take a walk down Beale Street and listen to the music one night later on in the month. Over on your left is the Peabody Hotel. Every morning a family of mallard ducks makes the trip from their rooftop home, down the elevator several floors and marches through the lobby in a grand parade to spend the day in the hotel lobby fountain. Then again at 5 they make the return trip back up to the roof to their home for the night. It's cute to see and the Grand Master assures that the little children always get the best front row seats. Ok, we'll come back again for a better look but out the window you can catch a look at the Mighty Mississippi river. Pretty huge, isn't it? The Mississippi flows from the northern tip of the country all the way down to the Port of New Orleans in the south. They say the sunsets are quite spectacular down by the river and I'd have to agree.

Weather wise, it's pretty nice here right now. In the low 80's (F) during the day, around 58 to 60 (F) at night. Just for Carla - the magnolia trees are blooming. Giant white pods - longer than your hand from finger tip to wrist. They gently unfold like crepe paper to expose the blossom and if you get up close they have the most delightful fragrance of lemon. The blooms have faded from the azaleas and spring trees and have been replaced by the flowers and bulbs. The irises are a little past peak but still pretty. The purple and yellow and white pansies are loving the cooler weather and here and there you see peeks of hibiscus and other flowers poking about.

There's birdies everywhere - watch overhead If you listen carefully you'll hear the teletale high pitched peep peep of baby birds all about. The parents are still weaning their young so you'll see pairs of red bellied and downy woodpeckers, thrashers, cardinals and all sorts of sparrows and wrens. We have been feeding the mocking birds their favorite grapes and it appears that they also have a penchant for Kit and Kaboodle dry cat food which they steal up to the porch and sneak off with a piece or two throughout the day. Personally I think they picked that up from the blue jays who can empty a dish faster than any cat I know And just in time for your arrival - the ruby throated hummingbirds are back in town. I noticed one yesterday buzzing the empty hanging pots and we quickly made up some hummer juice. Today I noticed that there are 2 of them in the whole town and they both landed in my yard and are already trying to run each other off and claim the feeder for their own. (Extra feeders are being sanitized and prepared now). We have one baby robin who is a riot. He sees the other birds on the feeder and says "I'm gonna get me sum mah dat stuff". He sits on the top of the bench and flys at the feeder. Not sure how to quite land on it and he quickly flops off but as DH noticed, not before he awkwardly popped his head in a feed hole and grabbed a seed for himself.

Let me go rinse off the last of the pollen from the patio furniture so we can sit and chat. Make yourselves at home and welcome to Memphis... and say hello to the neighborhood cats. The gray and white one is ours.

A big southern hello to y'all oh and a mint julep for Meadow

Last edited by happy2bme; 05-01-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:38 AM   #2  
Choose your hard

Meadow - before I forget absolutely LOVED the "I'm FINE" graphic. You're outdone yourself again. Alright - better get these sleepy eyes off to bed. Catch up in the morning. 'Night all and a Good Afternoon for those of you boarding the flight at Sydney.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:28 AM   #3  

Default Happy May Day

Dear Happy, that was an enchanting entrance into Memphis. Thank you for the sweet welcome and the tour I enjoyed it very much this early morning with my coffee. It gave me the lazy laid back feelin' of just wanting to sit in the yard and sip and chat with ya all! Hope the month gives us more tours of your great state.

It is a beautiful morning here with the deer all over the hills. Teeka is feeling much better and back to her old self. Toby is busy looking out the window at the wildlife. I am about to do some more house work to be ready for my houe guest. I am so excited to have my friend Gail come for a few days.

Spring is such a grand time and it seems to fly by because we wait so long for it to arrive during our winter months. I do hope everyone is well and we enjoy our time in Happy's back yard.....
Peace,
Nae
Old 05-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #4  
Choose your hard

Good Morning Chicks,

The sun is shining, the birds are singing - the start of a new day **yawn, stretch**

Nae - glad you enjoyed the touch down here. I think you would enjoy many of the things here tho you would probably miss the big skies of your home state. The camping trip sounded wonderful - except for the ticks but that is a hazard this time of year. Have a great time visiting with your friend today. Always nice to have some company around.

Carla, good going on getting into those smaller jeans! Nothing says success as much as getting into smaller pants. Keep up the good work. Oh and you wanted to know about wildlife. The other day I was driving down the road and there was a dead armadillo - yes an armadillo laying in the road. Apparently they have made their way east from Painterwoman's Texas as predicted. We have a gazillion squirrels because apparently it's illegal here to shoot them and no bunnies to be seen (we've only seen 1 in the over 2 years we've been here) because as I'm told it's NOT illegal to shoot them. Can you imagine??????

Meadow - my SIL puts almond butter in smoothies and all sorts of things for the healthy protein boost. You're right about the pampas grass having knife like edges. Between the holly and the pampas grass I'm glad the DH does the trimming.

Shad - hope things have calmed down. Is this the big push to the finish?

Mel - looking forward to what kind of avatar you're going to pull up for this month. Memphis is known for blues, BBQ and Elvis. Take it from there.

Suzi - lunch is over, come back here

Wow Ceejay - you have to mop the floors at work? Cripes - that's as bad as being at home

Ok, got to get on with my day and thanks for the belated birthday wishes ladies.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

This chick is about an hours drive from Memphis. Are we going to the Pink Palace as well as Elvis's estate?

Not much to do today. I'll change out the chemicals around 10 a.m. or so.

Happy--We are a jack of all trades where I work.

Hello to the rest.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:48 AM   #6  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

DEAREST HAPPY YOU HAVE OUTDONE YOURSELF!! THE VISUAL IS OUTSTANDING AND I AM ALREADY IN LOVE WITH MEMPHIS. I AM ALSO LAUGHING BECAUSE THERE IS AN ADVERT ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THIS PAGE FOR A DEBBIE MACOMBER BOOK CALLED "BACK ON BLOSSOM STREET". IS THIS AN OMEN???
I AM NOT SURE IT WAS EVERYONE ELSES PICS....I THINK IT MAY HAVE BEEN MY OWN!!! THANK THE DH FOR PICKING US UP AT THE AIRPORT. SORRY HE HAD A TOUGH TIME GETTING MY CHAIR INTO THE TRUNK LET'S GO OUT ON THE PATIO AND CHAT AWAY MY SOUTHERN SISTER.
I BROUGHT THE STARBUCKS!!!

NAE~ GOOD TO SEE YOU HERE AND THERE! HAVE A GREAT TIME WITH YOUR FRIEND. I WOULD BE INTERESTED TO SEE HER TAKE ON THE BF THING TOO HOPE ALL THE DOGGIES ARE OK BY NOW. AGE IS A TOUGH THING FOR ALL OF US!! BUT I THINK DOGS HANDLE IT BETTER THAN THEIR HUMAN FRIENDS

MEADOW~ I LOVED THE FEELING FINE PIC. EVEN WHILE IT MADE ME LAUGH AND FEEL BETTER YESTERDAY. HAD TO READ IT TWICE TO GET IT THOUGH!!! ROFL

CEEJAY~ WISH WE COULD HAVE SENT YOU BACK TO BED ALSO!!! MAYBE NEXT TIME!! GOOD LUCK WITH THE ACTONEL!!! STAY UPRIGHT!!

CARLA~ WISHING YOU STRENGTH FOR THE CONTINUING OF "THE PLAN". STAY STRONG!!! I KNOW IN MY HEART OF HEARTS THAT YOUARE HERE.

WHERE FOR ART THE REST OF US???

HAPPY MAY DAY TO YOU ALL. I AM MUCH BETTER. BUT I'LL FOOD SHOP AT THE END OF THE WEEK. A WEE BIT GROGGY FROM ALL THE SINUS MEDS. NOTHING IS NEW OR ON THE AGENDA. HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY AND STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES.....OR IN THIS CASE THE MAGNOLIA TREES!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #7  
Happy September

Cool Let us all go forth and be LUSTY in May

The month of May was come, when every lusty heart beginneth
to blossom, and to bring forth fruit; for like as herbs and trees
bring forth fruit and flourish in May, in likewise every lusty heart
that is in any manner a lover, springeth and flourisheth in lusty
deeds. For it giveth unto all lovers courage,
that lusty month of May.
- Sir Thomas Malory, Le Morte d'Arthur, 1485
Old 05-01-2007, 12:15 PM   #8  

Don't forget, we have a lovely zoo here too! I think this is the lineup for our Memphis in May Beale Street festival so be sure and bring your boots as the last few years it has always rained!
FRIDAY:
The Allman Brothers Band

Iggy & The Stooges
Three 6 Mafia
Koko Taylor

Sum 41
Gov't Mule
Social Distortion
Richard Johnston

Sharde Thomas and The Rising

Star Fife and Drum Band

Robert "Wolfman" Belfour
The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Jerry Lee Lewis
Chevelle
Hubert Sumlin & Willie Big Eyes Smith
Plain White T's
The Derek Trucks Band
North Mississippi Allstars
Popa Chubby

SATURDAY:
Steely Dan
Godsmack
George Thorogood
Bobby "Blue" Bland
The Bar-Kays
Wolfmother
The Ohio Players
Walter Trout &The Radicals
Kenny Wayne Shephard
Taking Back Sunday
Taj Mahal
Ryan Shaw
Kelley Hunt
Old Crow Medicine Show
Jack's Mannequin
The John Butler Trio

Keller Williams

SUNDAY:
Alvin Youngblood Hart
Eddie Floyd
One Less Reason
The Duhks

Companyia Electrica Dharma -

(from Spain)
Daddy Mack Blues Band
Hawthorne Heights
David Honeyboy Edwards
Keller Williams

Counting Crows
John Legend
Hinder
Elvin Bishop
Barenaked Ladies
Corinne Bailey Rae
DAUGHTRY
Tab Benoit
Guster
Edwin McCain
Project Pat
Backdoor Slam
Umphrey's McGee
Ann Peebles
Papa Roach

Companyia Electrica Dharma -

(from Spain)
Watermelon Slim
Billy Lee Riley
Egypt Central
The Lee Boys
James "Super chikan" Johnson
Old 05-01-2007, 01:12 PM   #9  
Happy September

GMA~ OMG!! BARE NAKED LADIES.....THAT WOULD REALLY MAKE HOTCUPOJAVA HAPPY!!! SHE IS ONE OF THEIR BIGGEST FANS!!

Last edited by MELODY525; 05-01-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:36 PM   #10  
Choose your hard

Wow Mel - a Magnolia AND a flying Elvis

I have tears in my eyes! Love 'em! And Mel - I've been working on an email to you for the last 3 days - sorry I'm such a slowpoke!

And thanks for the info Gma2one - I think we have one of the best zoos in the country. Got Pandas too. Get a load of the names of some of those bands, eh? Steeley Dan, Wolfmother, the Ohio Players and George Thorogood? What a mix - something for everyone right?

The Memphis in May event, the zoo, Graceland, the Gibson Guitar factory tour, the Pink Palace and Blanchard Caverns if we take a ride out of state. Enough to fill up a month here and more.

Don't forget I'm putting you all to work in the garden

Last edited by happy2bme; 05-01-2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:07 PM   #11  
Happy September

DON'T WORRY HAPPY I AM A PATIENT LADY
JUST KEEP THE LITTLE UMBRELLA DRINKS COMING AND I'LL EVEN DIG IN YOUR GARDEN!!! PROVIDING I CAN TAKE A COOLING DIP IN YOUR FROG POOL AFTERWARDS.

I THOUGHT YOU'D APPRECIATE THE "MEMPHIS TOUCH".
Old 05-01-2007, 04:47 PM   #12  

Ooh, I am so jealous that Mel beat me to that avatar! I did find another version of the same thing, but still... Now we know what she was doing all day yesterday while she was "resting". Ha! Anyway, decided instead to pay tribute to the King and Happy's pool frogs in one fell swoop...

Today I worked and now I'm tired but soon to be less broke. Time for a nice nap in that lovely warm weather, enjoying Happy's drinkies, hummingbirds, and collection of cats. Wake me when the BBQ is ready...
Old 05-01-2007, 08:21 PM   #13  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

I did post yesterday- I did, I did. Strange things are happening with the computer system here and obviously out there. I posted before Happy took us to this magical place.

Nice to see you gma2one, soon to be 2. Thanks for the info. Pity I am not going to be in Memphis in May isn't it. Well not physically anyways.

Mel, Carla. Love the avatars, you are both funny girls for the avatars. Can't wait to see what happens in June (we've been to Japan - how about Jersey?)
Anyway that remains in the future.

I'm sorting out jobs which appear to be coming out of my ears here. Trying to get out of Groote because of the 4 day stint and near enough 4 days of travel as well. Did the interview for the Perth job yesterday but don't really know whether I want that either. Someone rang me for work in Melbourne yesterday as well. Why can't someone suggest some work in Brisbane?

Started to pack up the house last night. Mostly clothes that I'll not wear again up here and a few foodstuffs which I will give to my fellow trainer as well as my big potplant which would not survive well in drought ridden Brisbane. She can have those on Monday. I'm going to go to Cairns for the weekend just because I can. Not sure what I will do there yet. Maybe spend some more money - Cairns can do that to you.

Anyway, I had better go get on with the day. I've wasted enough time on problems which should not be my business but if I don't solve them, who else cares?
Old 05-01-2007, 09:47 PM   #14  
Smackin' into a Wall

Howdy folks! The madcat has landed in Memphis, ready to sit and listen to some music, eat some Q and soak in the ambiance. Did I ever mention I love George Thorogood?
Actually I have a massive sinus headache as a wet weather system storms in and then back out of our area. It’s not the rain, it’s the rapid change that is making my vision blurry. ‘Fraid I'm not going to be able to write much more than this. But I'll be back once the high pressure zone reasserts itself.

Think I'll have to find an Elvis cat avatar...
Old 05-01-2007, 11:25 PM   #15  

HI, nice new digs.

I am bleary, been going strong since 8am. Bon Jovi was on Idol. ***heart a fluttering*** Made me smile. Just placed a $1500.00 order. That's a lot of $ .99 lip balm.

Gas here has jumped again. It equals $5.50 US a gallon. sigh.

HUGS and LOVE!!
Closed Thread