Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 04-29-2007, 10:45 PM   #1  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Thumbs up American Psychologist: Eating Disorders

Hey, if any of you subscribe to or have access to (maybe through your university library or something) the magazine American Psychologist, you might want to have a look at the April 2007 edition. I just got it in the mail and it is entirely devoted to Eating Disorders.

Articles include (and I summarized the synopsis of each article so you get an idea):

Eating Disorders: A Call to arms--- emphasizing that although eating disorders have the highest mortality rating among behavorial disorders, reasearch about eating disorders is sparse.

Eating Disorders: NIMH's Perspective-- areas of research interest for them are effective treatments and identifying the pathways for eating disorders frfrom genes to proteins or abnormalities in the nueral system to behavior.

Eating Disorder Diagnosises: Empirical Approaches to Classification--- stating that 60% of eating disorders are not true bulimia or anorexia and thus are catagorized as unspecified and how this is problematic.

Risk Factors for Eating Disorders--- cultural influences as well as genetics contribute to anorexia.

Psychological Treatment of Eating Disorders--- cognitive behavioral is best treatment for bulimia and binge eating disorders but less is know about anorexia.

Should Medicare Reimburse Providers for Weight loss interventions?--- article said that lifestyle interventions and drugs can have long term impact, not dieting.

Medicare's Search for effective Obesity treaments: Diets are not the answer--- dieting predicted weight gain not loss.

Effective Obesity Treatments--- lifestyle and drug interventions have produced on average a 7lb sustained loss over a 2 year period
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Thanks Charlotte -- I hope I can find one on the newsstand so I can buy it -- or I'll have to be grossly engaged for awhile at the library. It sounds fascinating - can't wait to read it!
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

The journal isn't available on newstands, but if you have access to a college or university, most subscribe, and many get online access to this journal. I just got mine in the mail the other day and it looks worth checking out.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #4  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

I would love to read this magazine! I wish I still had access to my school library. This may take some work to find it but if I do, I'll share if I can!

Thanks for the heads up. I'm always interested in this stuff and what is being learned. My therapist actually prescribed cognitive behaviour therapy to me and we never even got into my eating disorders. I suppose there is a certain type of person who may be more likely to develop this type of disorder based on the way they think. I found the CBT was a huge huge factor in my ability to improve!
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 219/211/160

Height: 5"5

Charlotte!!?? Am I reading your signature right? Did you just meet your goal???
reneeks5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:11 PM   #6  
Co-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeks5 View Post
Charlotte!!?? Am I reading your signature right? Did you just meet your goal???
TeeHee! YES I DID!!! I posted piccys in the 100+ forum, the 20-somethings and the Maintainers!
Old 05-01-2007, 08:54 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 150ish/???/125

Height: 5'2"

Charlotte Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snowbunny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:08 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

"I would be interested in knowing who is the author of these articles, I have a cousin who specializes in eating disorders, His name is Scott Crow M.D.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:18 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Scott's mother is my first cousin (we grew up together ).While I know Scott I have never discussed eating disorders with him.I have , however eaten at his home, he is a gourmet cook..I always wondered if I would agree with him about eating disorders.

bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:08 PM   #10  
Co-Mod

Nope, no Scott Crow there.