Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-01-2007, 06:51 AM   #1  

Angry Not losing weight....

hi everyone

I weigh about 220lbs and 2 weeks ago I got fed up with everything so I joined my local gym and vowed not to give up (Even though I am possibly one of the laziest people by nature) I started going as soon as I joined, and I've been 12 times in the past 14 days, i do a good 25 mins on the cross trainer a day and about 25 on a bike/treadmill.... i go to a boxercise class once a week too, and no matter what i always leave the gym/class sweating..
I also cut down on my food, on a 1500 cal a day diet... I havent lost any weight according to the scales.... i can feel my muscles gettin stronger and , my stamina growing but i just need to see some weight lost
beautifulstruggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:12 AM   #2  
Dream Big

S/C/G: 233.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Default Same boat here

I hope someone can answer this cause the same thing is happening here! I thought I was crazy! I do circuit training 3 day a week with 30 min of cardio, yoga and cardio on Tuesday and 60 min of cardio on Thursday. Instead of losing weight I have gained 3lbs in the last 2 weeks. My calories are at 1500 and I am really working it with the exercise so what's up?
timmyshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:13 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

You seem to be doing the right things. With that much exercise you could be gaining muscle mass as you lose fat, and that's a good thing, because well-toned muscle helps burn more fat. Good for you!

How are you tracking your calories? That is, how do you know you're getting 1500 a day?

If everything is as you say it is, workout and calorie restriction-wise, then just be patient. The scale will move. Keep going!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:17 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I say the first thing, is to be sure that you are calculating your calories and portion sizes accurately. The second thing, I would watch WHAT you are eating, as much as the calories. You will get better results with better/healthier food. More fruits and veggies, lean protein, etc.

The third-give it some time. It is very common for me, to not lose one week, and then lose 2 pounds the next week, etc.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:20 AM   #5  
LLV

Hmmmmm, well, it sounds like you're eating the right amount of calories for your weight. I was 220 as well and when I started out, I think I was eating about 1600 calories a day. Boy do I miss that! LOL

But I'll ditto Jay's question, are you tracking calories and you're SURE you're only eating 1500 a day? If so, then maybe your body just needs to adjust to the new calorie levels and exercise. If this is new for you, your body is probably just a little 'shocked' right now because it doesn't understand what the heck is going on and it may be reluctant to let go of the weight right now. However, it's only been a couple of weeks, so I'd definitely stick with what you're doing, make sure you're keeping track of calories (it's soooo easy to eat more calories than we need if we're not keeping track) and the weight will probably start to come off soon.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:55 AM   #6  

You may be adding muscle. That will sometimes happen when you start working out, while you may be losing fat and gaining muscle- the scale doesnt show a loss because it can equal out.
Good Luck, you are on the right track!
KTna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:13 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

i would also chime in by saying..it might have helped if you took measurements of hip, bust, thighs, waist. Sometimes you may not lose weight if you are putting on muscle. But after a month of doing it...you will find you've lost inches.
Also, HIGHLY, important you tract all you eat. You'd be surprised how much you can occasionally "Graze on" without thinking about it. Also try eating healthier stuff. I find i loose more weight when i'm eating fresh fruit/veggies and less processed food..also switch to whole wheat carbs. Good luck
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:04 AM   #8  
hara hachi bu

Take measurements, if you haven't already.

Also, I've always found that if I drink about 64 oz of water a day, the weight comes off more quickly.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:46 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Height: 5'8"

The same thing has happened to me. My scale didn't budge for over a month. I exercise ate lots of vegetables and healthy stuff, counted my calories using fitday, varied them from 1200 - 1300. Then raised them to 1400 and last week I lost 4 lbs. Stick with it the scale will catch up to your new lifestyle. Take your measurements instead if you are getting frustrated with the scale. The scale will move.
sharonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:29 PM   #10  

thanks to each n every reply.... it's a relief to know I'm not alone!!!
I've switched from processed foods (which i used to always eat) and cook for myself everyday, mostly veggies (because they fill me up) with like you said lean protein..
i'm going to DEFINITELY measure myself... hope i start seeing results soon and i won't give up lol
good luck timmy!!!!

thanks again
Old 05-01-2007, 01:45 PM   #11  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Please measure yourself! The scale is the last thing that is going to tell you that you are doing the right things for you in your journey! Things that you can measure your success by are:
1) How do you FEEL compared to when you weren't working out and eating less?
2) How are your clothes fitting?
3) What is your skin like? Clear, fresh, "clean" feeling?
4) Measure EVERYTHING
5) What's your energy level like?

I KNOW it's hard not to see that scale move, but in all honesty sometimes it's the OTHER things that mean more, the other things that keep us going!

Hang in there, it WILL move, you just have to be patient!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:36 PM   #12  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Same here.

No losses in weight or measurements in 3 weeks! However, I think I have to up my calories. I am working out. I think I have to up it from 30 min/day.

During the last 2 weeks we have been so busy pulling off my daughter's surprise party. That reminds me. I have to make a post about it.

So, when the scales and tape measure didn't move on Sunday, I decided to make some adjustments. Now I have to enter some of the recipes we're doing into FitWatch and get the analysis so I can put them into my FitDay.

Don't give up. It'll happen.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #13  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

at 220 pounds you need about 1500 calories per day just to exist. IF you work out daily and burn 500 calories you have a deficit of 500 that gives you 1000 to live on.

personally at 1500 calories per day with a workout buring 500 calories you are not eating enough.

my BMR is about 1700. I eat about 1900 calories per day because i burn about 700 in the gym daily... I suggest that if you are excercising so much maybe you need to increase your calories to compensate for that. otherwise your body holds on the the weight in fear of starvation.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:27 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 126/114/115

The other question is, how easy is it really to gain muscle? Men who have higher testosterone levels than women work REALLY hard at gaining muscle, even when they take supplements and eat more protein. So is it possible for a woman to put on muscle in just two or three weeks? I just don't think it's that easy for women to gain muscle quickly and in a short amount of time.

I would agree that measurements are the way to go, and maybe just weigh yourself once a week.
MicheleKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:21 PM   #15  

hey just thought i'd update i've lost 9lbs im very happy
xxx