Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-28-2007, 07:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/250/225

Height: 5'10"

Default Ugh!!!! Need answers.

How much does that TOM affect your weight loss. I haven't lost anything this week and I even lowered my points just a bit because I 'm getting frustrated and I think I was using maybe too many anyway. I'm exercising. I don't get the munchies. I account for everything I eat. So its got to be because of that TOM. Hate that.
kgood2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:29 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey kgood!

TOM can artificially raise weight--I say artificially because it's water weight. 2-3 pounds is not unusual, but only time will tell whether that's the cause of your weight not changing.

It would be nice if weight loss were a smooth, straight line going down, but it doesn't work that way. Drat! Some weeks you'll drop more, some less, and some not at all. Some weeks you may even go up a little, even though you haven't changed what you've been doing.

Don't despair! Keep going! Stick with it!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:41 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh that scale be sooooo frustrating!!!! I think TOM affects all women differently. For me I know it doesn't affect my weight at all. But I have heard of other women who it really does affect, up to as much as 3 or 4 pounds worth. But keep in mind if it is affecting your weight, it's only water. Whatever fat has left your body will remain gone. TOM will not put FAT back on.

Regardless of whether it's TOM or not, our weightloss will not remain constant week to week, even if we do things exactly the same things. There are going to be good weeks and then some, well not as good weeks. Doesn't mean it's our fault, or anything that we've done "wrong". It's just the way our bodies work.

Keep up the good work and the weight will come off. In it's own peculiar way.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Height: 5'8"

Don't worry about the scale. It happened to me for over a month the scale didn't move. I was not consuming more and was doing everything right. Finally it moved 4 lbs in one week. It felt great but that averaged out to 1 lb a week which is a good rate of weight loss to keep it off. Measure yourself instead of weighing if you are getting so upset. Stick with it don't let that terrible scale get you down.
sharonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/152.8/135

Height: 5'3"

This just happened to me. I gained almost 3 lbs this week (from 154.4 to 157) Today, I went back down to 154.4. I really hope I can still lose a pound this week.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I felt really bloated this week and what helped me was eating low-carb for a few days (avoiding all bread and starches and eating mostly lean protein and veggies). I also did longer slow walks on the treadmill.
AllyCat30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:47 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

TOM arrived this week. A couple days before, I stepped on the scale and was 4 pounds heavier than the day before!! EGAD! Yup, water weight. I'm not always successful, but I try to avoid the scale a couple days before and during TOM because I don't want it to bum myself out.
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:02 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/250/190

Height: 5'4

During my TOM I usualy get up to 5lbs more. This time after my TOM I lost 3lbs it must be from joining the gym.
JennelleV86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:58 PM   #8  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

I am also one of those unfortunates that can gain 2-4 pounds of water weight during TOM. The crazy part is that it's not consistant. I may gain 4 lbs. this time, but nothing next time. Russian Roulette on the scale every time TOM comes around!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:59 PM   #9  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

In the second year of my weight loss I seemed to get into a nice pattern of eating and exercise and I lost 1kg (2.2lbs) EVERY week for almost a year. It was SO regular it was amazing. In that year I was on a contraceptive needle and didn't have a TOM at all. In fact, I hadn't had one in quite a long time. Well, I stopped the needle (due to problems) and a few weeks later had my first TOM. THAT was a shock to the system. That week I GAINED a kilo instead of losing one! Not what I wanted to see. It kinda messed with my head quite a bit, because I didn't expect this to happen (not having had TOM for SUCH a long time) and I didn't know what I was doing 'wrong'. I am now used to it and expect it to happen, but I still don't LIKE it. I can easily gain 2kg without blinking and with doing EVERYTHING right. How depressing. I know it comes off again, but not as quickly as I would like it to. Oh the joys of womanhood.

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:45 AM   #10  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

The day before my period I gain 1-2lbs and maintain that for the duration period. The weight one morning, normally 2 days after the end of my period- it magically dissapears.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:56 AM   #11  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

I REALLY swell up...my waist size goes up by about 4 inches, and I "gain" 4-6 pounds. This happens as soon as I ovulate and lasts until TOM starts...UGH.
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by maalisse View Post
I REALLY swell up...my waist size goes up by about 4 inches, and I "gain" 4-6 pounds. This happens as soon as I ovulate and lasts until TOM starts...UGH.
Wow Maalisse, that sounds ghastly! Does that mean you need to keep a separate set of clothes that work for you when you're pre-menstrual?
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:23 PM   #13  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by baffled111 View Post
Wow Maalisse, that sounds ghastly! Does that mean you need to keep a separate set of clothes that work for you when you're pre-menstrual?
I generally wear skirts during the second half of my cycle, because they can easily shift around depending on my waist. (It doesn't always stay that puffy 24/7; it comes and goes.) I think part of the reason I puff up so badly is that I have a chronic pain condition in the area that is aggravated by TOM hormones, so my theory is that my body is making a little protective padding when I'm sore. If I let my tummy hang out, I look pregnant. Good for scaring the dbf. (Kidding.)

Though, to be honest, my PMS is generally pretty good otherwise...I'll take bloating over the wild PMS mood swings I had in my teenaged years, hehe!
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote