Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-28-2007, 11:59 AM   #1  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Default Yummy - Jicama Hashbrowns

I used to make these a lot and totally forgot about them. I had them this morning with my eggs.. yummy and I had never really looked at the nutrition info before 75 calories (for an ENORMOUS portion) and 10 grams of fiber.

Peel and shred the jicama (jicama doesnt cook like potatoes so it is much better if you shred with a food processor or grater rather than trying to cut small)

Put the jicama in a medium hot pan coated with cooking spray and salt and pepper liberally - spread in a thick layer

Place a heavy sauce pan on the jicama (this is optional but helps develop browning)

Let cook until getting brown, turn and put the sauce pan back on.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 01:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

That's a great idea, Ennay! Would it work to add garlic or onion, and other traditional hash brown seasonings?

I had jicama for the first time while I was in Mexico recently. We ate it sprinkled with lemon juice and it was very crunchy and refreshing. Makes for good diet food
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 02:07 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

oh yes, you could add other stuff to it. Its a little sweeter than potato, so you may need to play around with what flavors go best. My guess is that the onion flavor would be more pronounced. I use so much onion in my omelet I dont really need more.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:03 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

That sounds interesting.

One of my favorite treats as a young child was sliced jicama, cucumbers and orange pieces mixed together. Sprinkle with lemon juice (or lime juice) then sprinkle with a bit of salt and cayenne pepper. I still make it once in a while
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote