Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 05:05 PM   #1  
A new Mom

Default Pregnant & Staying Fit ~ February 2002 :)

Ok... I posted a response to Ann in last month's thread and realized we hadn't started a February thread yet so here it is.

Thursday night Brad and I had our first Prepared childbirth class. The classes are 3 hours long but only for 3 weeks. It was pretty interesting, but 3 hours is a long time. Brad was great... he didn't even complain when the instructor kept picking on him to help her with things. It was also interesting that about a third of the women there are my OB's patients, and probably another third go to her partners. And except for 2 women the rest of us all have due dates within a 4 or 5 day window. The hospital will be BUSY. Brad was intrigued to see that 2/3 of the men were in his or a closely related field (networking/computers).

I had my OB appt that day too. I'd been having contractions a lot that morning and the day before, mostly right after coughing, so she checked me out. I'm not at all dialated or efaced or anything and she thinks that my muscles were just sore and tired and complaining when I coughed and the baby moved. The contrax have stopped and I figure that now my muscles are just saying "whatever!"

The baby is still moving quite a bit, although we do have some quiet times when I wish that I would feel something. I guess that's when the baby is sleeping. The antibiotics seem to be finally kicking in and I'm starting to feel a little bit better although I'm still very congested and coughing quite a bit. Brad helped me with that the other day too... he pointed out that if when I start feeling a coughing fit coming on I try to relax and focus on breathing normally I only cough once or twice rather than repeatedly til I feel like I can't breathe. Of course it doesn't keep me from coughing at all but I think part of the "fits" is a bit of fear of not being able to catch my breath...

Well, that's enough for my book... I hope everyone is doing well, happy and healthy...

Lara
Old 02-06-2002, 01:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 320/210/180

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Hello all,

I did it again. I don't know how I managed it but I lost another 5 pounds according to the doctors scale. I don't know what I can do to gain. I thought I would never say something like that. I now also have an ear infection. But baby is doing fine. I have to go back next week to weigh and see if I lose anymore weight. If I lose another 5 pounds I will be in critical stage. He has told me if I lose next week he is sending me to an obstitrician to run a whole bunch of other tests to make sure everything is OK. I have been cut down to 1/2 days at work. We will have to see how things go. I had the strep B test done today and we will find out the results of the test in a couple of days but if it comes back positive I am already taking Amoxicilin and that is what is recommended to take for this. The cervix is still closed which is good also. The baby's heart rate is strong so the only thing I am worried about is my weight right now. He is running the thyroid blood work again to see if that may be causing the flucuation in weight. That should be back tomorrow and I will have to see what it says. Well take care all and hope things get better for me and all of you.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:58 AM   #3  

Hello,

Just thought I would post a note. My thyroid levels are normal and the strep test came back positive. Now I am on antibiodics for 10 days and see what happens. I am a little bummed about this but it will be OK.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:48 PM   #4  
A new Mom

Tamara... I'm sorry to hear that you are still losing. Are you eating enough calories? maybe adding some extra protein and fat to your meals might help that? I'm glad that your thyroid test came back ok. I can understand the discouragement you are feeling about the strep issue. I haven't tested positive for it myself... yet... but I have this horrid sinus infection that just keeps recurring.

My mum is here visiting for a week, which is fun. She'll be back again after the baby is born too. We went to look at carpet today for the baby's room, I'm going to have to take Brad along to help choose, but there actually is some acceptable carpet that is well within our budget, which was really nice to see.

All seems well with the baby, I just keep getting more pregnant looking. Yesterday when I had to sit down in a store while my mum was trying on clothes the woman who worked there started looking worried and asked just WHEN was my due date. I think she was afraid I was going to deliver right in her store.

Lara
Old 02-14-2002, 04:55 PM   #5  
A new Mom

I just had my latest OB appointment. Everything is going well, and she is quite confident that I will deliver on schedule around the 21 of March. I measured at 35 weeks, and the baby is starting to drop but not staying down for any real lengths of time. The baby's heartbeat was at 135 again.

I was down a 1/2# from my visit 2 weeks ago, and have my next one scheduled on the 28th. So far (according to the TOPS scale) I have gained 23# since I got pregnant. Since my first appt at 11 weeks along I have gained 15 1/2 # on the Dr's office scale. I'm doing pretty well if I do say so myself.

I hope all is well with everyone else, I'll check in again later.

Lara
Old 02-14-2002, 05:44 PM   #6  

Hi, I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Nicole, I am 26, and I just found out today I am pregnant. This will be my and DH's first, so we are both very excited! But, I am only about 3 wks along, so I don't even have a drs appt until March! I think I'll go crazy!
I normally post on the 100lbs club board, but I saw this one, and thought I would introduce myself! It is nice to meet all of you.

Nicole
251/229/150
Old 02-14-2002, 07:51 PM   #7  
A new Mom

Welcome Nicole

Congratulations on the coming addition to your family. This is my husband's and my first child too. Pregnancy is an exciting time for both of you... but be prepared for some changes... BIG changes.

Mostly good ones. I have been truly blessed throughout this pregnancy with no real complications and only the annoyance of sinus infections for illness. After I got over the throwing up every time I moved that is... hopefully you won't be blessed with morning sickness the way I was.

I am due around the 21 of March and so is Icewoman, but I think Dreamer is due closer to you. Which reminds me... we haven't heard from dreamer yet in February.

I hope everything is going well for everyone.

Lara
Old 02-16-2002, 06:40 PM   #8  
A new Mom

I think I'm starting to feel a little more ready to have this baby. I went shopping today and picked up some really sweet outfits from Taget (ok so I was supposed to be shopping for a friend's baby shower). And I got a great backpack at TJ Max's to use as the diaper bag. I also got some baby toys.

Tomorrow afternoon Brad and I are going to go and choose the crib we are going to get, and possibly buy the car seats (one for each car) and the stroller as well. I'm looking forward to it. We still have to choose carpet for the baby's room too.

I hope all is going well for everyone,
Lara
Old 02-17-2002, 12:50 AM   #9  

Lara, You must be so excited! It seems like it will take forever for me to get to that stage! I have the due date figured out at around October 20, that seems sooo far away!
Does anyone have an estimate of how many calories I should be eating at this stage? I was eating 1600, to lose weight, but that seemed really low, for pregnancy so I have uped it to 2000, which seems like a lot of food! I have read that I only need about 300 calories extra, but I assume that it is 300 extra calories from a non-diet count, and I have no idea how many I should have been eating! I don't want to gain to much, but I want to make sure I am eating right!

TIA

Nicole
Old 02-17-2002, 07:17 AM   #10  
A new Mom

Nicole,

I am really not certain. That is probably something you should be talking to your Dr about. If your insurance covers it maybe (s)he will refer you to a nutritionist for help.

For my part, I haven't counted calories at all. I just make sure that I get a lot of salad and veggies in, a good amount of protein, and as for carbs, I try to keep them relatively low. I eat lots of fruit, and don't worry about the carbs in veggies (although I eat few potatoes and little corn) but I really try to avoid refined carbs like white pasta, white bread, sugar, etc. This seems to have worked for me. I have to admit to the occasional soda, and while I had severe morning sickness I just ate whatever I thought would stay down. Just remember that natural is better for the baby so the less refined and chemical the food is the better. I try to stick tothe whole fruit rather than the juice, and I stay far away from MSG, and artificial sweeteners -- if I'm going to have something sweet I'll go with the real thing rather than the diet version and then just be extra careful the rest of the day/week.

Oh, and make sure you have a good prenatal vitamin.

I hope this helps, but do make sure you talk to your dr about this.

Lara
Old 02-20-2002, 11:48 AM   #11  

Hello all

Congrats nic251.

I am doing good. I have been having a hard time kicking this ear infection. It finally started to drain this last week but it won't quit. I may have to go in and see if it is normal drainage. I have started to count the days till my Due date. 26 days not counting today. It's under a month and only 3 weeks and 5 days. Oh it's getting so close I can't wait. Lara that means you are getting really close too. I have gotten to where I can't wait to have this baby I am so tired of being sick and not being able to take the strong medicine to kick it out of the system. But I still won't be able to take the strong stuff because I will be breastfeeding and you have to watch what you are taking at that time also. I didn't take a lamaze class this time but I think I can remember everything I need to do for breathing techniques. I have really started to nest though. I have been cleaning the house and trying to get things in order and it only took me 1 week to get the kitchen clean. The last 2 days have been just sitting around and not doing much else. I bruised my little toe the other day when I was walking down the hall and it really hurts so if I do to much so I have to take it easy. I also gained 2 pounds according to TOPS scale this week. YEAH!!! I thought I would never say that I needed to gain weight. I never seemed to have problems gaining before I got pregnant. well I better go and will check in later in the week.

Take care all.
Old 02-21-2002, 06:45 PM   #12  
A new Mom

Yep... I'm down to 4 more weeks... I'm getting really excited. I can't wait to meet this darling baby. I feel huge and am having trouble sleeping at night so I don't have a ton of energy durring the day. Next Friday is my last day at work before I start my maternity leave. My dad arrives then for a few days to visit... I'm going to have to find a project or two for him to do as he loves to feel like he's made a real contribution on his visits.

Tamara, I'm glad you had a gain this week, I know that your weightloss through the pregnancy has been a real concern to you.

I hope everything is going well for nicole and dreamer too...

Lara
Old 02-24-2002, 08:23 PM   #13  
A new Mom

Well, I've had a pretty good weekend so far. Yesterday was my birthday, although I sort of forgot about it -- I guess it really isn't the most exciting thing going on in my life at the moment. Brad, my wonderful hubby woke me up before he left for work (I was sleeping in late for a change) with a Happy Birthday and I responded with "it's my birthday?"

We went out to Claim Jumper for dinner and split a rack of baby back ribs. I ordered an appetizer sized ceasar salad and he ate the side of rice and garlic cheese bread. For those of you who don't know about claim jumper, they have gigantic serving sizes. I couldn't finish all of my salad and realistically have any room for ribs -- and that was the appetizer size. Their full size salads are about enough to feed a family of five. The first time we went there was with my family, we made the mistake of ordering the appetizer sampler... keep in mind there were 8 adults there... I swear there was enough on that platter for a party of at least 20. Then everyone had ordered their own meals... there was barely enough room on the table. The amount of food was overwhelming. My dad ordered a slice of their chocolate cake for desert to take home. He told us later he thought they were going to cut a slice for him... he didn't realize that what he thought was a whole cake WAS the slice!

But anyhow... enough about Claim Jumper... suffice it to say that I had an enjoyable evening out with my DH. Today I went to church and then to look at baby books/scrapbooks. I'm not sure which I want to do, a traditional one or a build my own type, so I just was taking a look at what is available.

I'm also working at getting all my junk cleared out and packed up so we can get the carpet in here changed for the baby and the baby furniture in.

I hope everyone is happy and healthy, talk to you all soon.

Lara
Old 02-27-2002, 03:29 PM   #14  

Hi everyone, just wanted to pop in and see how everyone is doing!!! Lara, your definately at the home stretch!!! Soon enough you'll be holding you little one! Tamara is they do an u/s and verify that baby is growing according to schedule, I wouldn't worry too much. Nic, good luck with your pregnancy!

Being a new mom is just as exhausting as I remember it! Matthew is definately more high mainentence than my daughter was. But I know right now this busy period will be short lived. Well I better move along as he is about to wake up shortly.

Take care,
Ann

Matthew 1/23
Old 02-27-2002, 05:09 PM   #15  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Hi ladies.
Just a pop in to say congrats. Lara, I am glad i found this... I was wondering how you are. glad to see you are well and a happy birthday.

-L
Closed Thread