Old 04-25-2007, 08:19 PM   #1  
Becca on LAWL

S/C/G: 220/193/123

Default Peanut Butter...How much is too much?

Hi, all! I have another question, as I am making my way through Week #4 on LAWL.

One of the things that I have become particularly fond of as a protein (especially for breakfast) is Reduced Fat Skippy Peanut Butter.

My question is this: my weight loss has slowed a bit since my first couple of weeks (I've been told this is normal)...could it be the peanut butter? I am having it about 4 times a week for breakfast - is this too much?

And if it is, can anyone recommend another protein to have for breakfast? I've tried chicken & I've tried turkey...but eating them for breakfast is hard for me to do...

Thank you in advance for any guidance here!!
stitchinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:32 PM   #2  
Sarah

S/C/G: 170/127/127

Height: 5'4"

I have it almost daily, and on the odd occasion more than once in a day. I go to bed excited for breakfast because of the deliciousness of peanut butter. My weight loss doesn't seem to have suffered, but everybody's different. Most people have at least one problem food that, even in small amounts, messes with their metabolism; I hope for your sake that it isn't the case for you!

As for other things you can have for breakfast, I know how you feel. I can't stand meats for breakfast; in fact, the only two proteins I've had for breakfast are the peanut butter and frosted flakes with milk (carb cravers), which isn't the best option in the world either. I imagine light cheese and crackers might be tolerable for breakfast. Good luck finding the right combination for you
momerath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:45 PM   #3  
Danette lawl march 20/07

I have for breakfast 1/2 cup of kashi go lean cereal and count it as a 1/2 protein. The kashi go lean is high in protein so thats why my COD wants me to count it that way. They also told me the low fat version of peanut butter was a no no it's high in salt thats why they want you to have the all natural. Next time your in the grocery store compare the all natural and the low fat for the salt content you will be surprized. My all natural peanut butter has more calories but less salt.......SALT IS THE ENEMY

By the way I slowed on my loss at 10 pounds also for two weeks and was starting to panic but the group here calmed me down. I gained .6 on monday and weighed intoday and lost 2 lbs don't get upset it will start moving again!!!!!!!!!
fan4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #4  
Sarah

S/C/G: 170/127/127

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan4u2 View Post
I have for breakfast 1/2 cup of kashi go lean cereal and count it as a 1/2 protein. The kashi go lean is high in protein so thats why my COD wants me to count it that way. They also told me the low fat version of peanut butter was a no no it's high in salt thats why they want you to have the all natural. Next time your in the grocery store compare the all natural and the low fat for the salt content you will be surprized. My all natural peanut butter has more calories but less salt.......SALT IS THE ENEMY
And the all natural is quite good, once you get used to it (the Kraft stuff is very liquidy for the first little while, so it's weird, but ohhhh so good )
momerath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:06 PM   #5  
Jill on LAWL

S/C/G: 192/157/155

I'm afraid to try the natural because of mixed reviews. But anyway, I use reduced fat almost daily and have not had problems. Last time I was on this diet, it was more restrictive and advised using it only three times per week. The trainer at my gym has a real problem with reduced fat stuff because he claims that when they take some of the fat out, they're replacing it with something artificial that is even worse for you. As far as other breakfast suggestions, I use a hard boiled egg or one egg omelet for 1/2 protein. I also make the LA French toast for 1/2P, S. The recipe is in the old cookbook. I've also done reduced fat ritz with the reduced fat cheese cuts. Good luck!
Jill
Jillibean1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:24 PM   #6  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

I'm pretty much going steady with Peanut Butter. I use Kraft reduced fat. I don't think it has affected my losses negatively.

My breakfast protein options (without starch) are usually celery with PB or celery with laughing cow cheese or cheese by itself. I can't bring myself to eat a chicken for breakfast either, and I don't eat eggs.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:27 PM   #7  

Height: 5'2"

I also eat a lot of peanut butter, and it hasn't seemed to affect my weight loss. AND, I don't use the reduced fat; I use the reduced sodium (Simply JIF).
mamato2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:08 AM   #8  
Deb on LAWL

S/C/G: 256.8/see ticker/150

I had a counselor tell me once that peanut butter sticks with you a bit longer. I love peanut butter and I haven't had any problems with it, but I don't use the reduced fat. The higher carb and sodium counts are the reason I don't.
The calories are exactly the same - Fat grams are 4 more in the regular - sodium in the RF is 250 mg., regular is 150 mg.- carbs in RF is 15 gm. and in regular is 7 gm.

Wendy- The simply Jif looks like a good choice, I've never seen it here in MT before though.

As far as 1/2 Protein breakfasts, How about a boiled egg, eggbeaters omelette, cottage cheese with fruit, RICOTTA PANCAKES, ricotta cheese with fruit, 3/4 c. soy milk is a protein or 1/2 oz. of any variety unsalted nuts, or 1 1/2 oz. cheese w/ 3 gm. or less fat per oz.
MTdebster921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:50 AM   #9  

Height: 5'2"

Deb - That's exactly why I chose the Simply JIF. The calories and fat in the reduced fast didn't seem to be enough less to be worth it. And, the Simply JIF only has 65mg of sodium (Dan would be proud!), and it only has 2g sugar vs. 3g in the regular. Plus, I think it tastes better than the regular...has a more peanutty taste.
mamato2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:09 AM   #10  
Jill on LAWL

S/C/G: 192/157/155

It's about time for a new jar of Peanut butter for me. I'll be checking all this out. Thanks.
Jill
Jillibean1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:21 AM   #11  
LAWL since 2/07

S/C/G: 240 / 226.2 / 130

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suziewan View Post
I'm pretty much going steady with Peanut Butter. I use Kraft reduced fat. I don't think it has affected my losses negatively.

My breakfast protein options (without starch) are usually celery with PB or celery with laughing cow cheese or cheese by itself. I can't bring myself to eat a chicken for breakfast either, and I don't eat eggs.
Hold up! Have I been wasting a dairy? I count celery and laughing cow cheese as 1v 1d. I thought 2 of the little wedges counted as 1 dairy and 3 ribs of celery is 1 v. Is that not right? Well my book actually says 1 rib of celery is 1v but I think someone told me 3 was correct.
smjezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:48 AM   #12  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

on the subject of peanut butter--I ordered the PB2 from Bell Plantation and I think it is really good. It's just roasted and pressed peanuts--powdered, which is a little weird--but I've tried it mixed and on my rice cakes and it's really good.
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:46 AM   #13  
Deb on LAWL

S/C/G: 256.8/see ticker/150

Shannon, there was an update for the veggies a long time ago. Only certain centers got them. It did say that 3 ribs of celery was 1 v. In my new book, it's back to 1 rib. I like celery, but couldn't eat 3 ribs at a time or throughout the day. I too have got to have something yummy inside the celery to eat it.
MTdebster921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:04 PM   #14  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

As for the PB I only get the fresh ground stuff. Most supermarkets have it for less than $3 a pound, and I know if I use the 1 1/2 Tbsp for my half protein, all I'm getting is peanuts no added sugar or anything like that.

As for other options I can barely do chicken in the morning, but I can do Morning Star patties without a problem. Also, I at least one morning a week do a lean pocket breakfast pocket, it counts as 1/2 P and a S, plus it can be eaten as I speed off to work at the late morning time of quarter after five. Ricotta with berries spread onto a light english muffin also works really well.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #15  
Becca on LAWL

S/C/G: 220/193/123

Oh, thank you ALL!! I feel better about my PB, although I have to admit I'm going to go in search of the "Simply Jif" as I agree with you on the carb & sodium counts...I could be on Dan's patrol as a "Sodium Sheriff" - I have become quite fanatical about it!!

I appreciate all of the suggestions...It is so wonderful to be a part of this community!
stitchinchick is offline   Reply With Quote