Old 04-25-2007, 12:54 PM   #1  
No more fake foods!

S/C/G: 190/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Angry FitDay is really off....

I just made an account on FitDay and I found that it is really off. Maybe I am not using it right, but I tried to add a 4oz. serving of non-fat yogurt and it said it was 117 calories. Well, the container the yogurt came in said 70 calories. And I also had a Subway turkey sub and FitDay had a "submarine cold cut sandwich" which was almost 500 calories, which the Subway sub definitely wasn't.

I found another site to track my food intake and it works MUCH better. They have brand name foods in there so I know exactly how many calories I'm eating. I like it a lot better.. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the URL, (if I'm not just edit it out) but it's ***********.com.

Has anyone else had troubles with FitDay?
PurdueGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #2  
it's always something

There are a lot of foods for which the calorie counts can vary quite a bit, and yogurt is one of them. I think FitDay gets their data from the USDA nutrition database. I use the FitDay PC version which I prefer because it tracks more info. Plus it's very easy to add custom foods, so I added my favorite yogurts to it.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:03 PM   #3  
No more fake foods!

S/C/G: 190/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Is FitDay PC worth buying? I would like to have something non-internet based. But since the FitDay online just doesnt work for me, I'm afraid to buy....
PurdueGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:13 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I have the FitDay downloaded program--it works well for me. I add my own foods and enter information directly from the nutrition facts label.

You can also get information from different companies' websites, like Subway, and enter that as well.

The only problem I've had with FitDay is that it tends to overestimate my calories burned daily, but I work around that by setting it at sedentary.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I have a problem with brand names because the foods I eat are Canadian. I customize a ton of stuff. Even the Cheerios I had yesterday were not quite right. And when I customize a food, it's there forever. I never have to hunt again.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:40 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I enter custom food on it all the time. I use the online version. It's easier for me because I can enter food throughout the day.

You do have to use the custom function because they really go all over the place.

I've notice the activities section is kinda weird. If you enter that you walked 3.5 mph for 1 mile for 20 minutes you'd think that it would give you bigger numbers than for 30 minutes. After all, walking a mile in a shorter amount of time requires more exertion. At least, that is what I'm entering for my WATP advanced workouts.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:58 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

It's not really fitDay's fault. I mean, go to the store and compare a bunch of diferent yogurts--the calories are all over the place Same with the sub--calories in breads alone can vary GREATLY, not to mention the amount of meat, the amount (if any) of cheese, the amount (if any) of condiments like mayo or oil, etc.

If you're not getting the numbers you want, the best thing to do is enter the yogurt YOU eat as a custom food. It's a pain to add a lot of custom foods, but once they're in there, you don't have to add them again. I was constantly adding new fods the first few weeks, but now everything I eat regularly is in there, so it's very easy.

Or, if you've found another site you like more, then just use that. There's no law that says anyone MUST use FitDay
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:34 PM   #8  

If you use fitday, log on and then log into the dietfacts website, you can find restaurant, particular brands, etc. and then at the bottom of the nutritional information it gives you a spot to "add to your fitday", I like the two, much faster than adding my own customs and once you add it through diet facts, it's a custom in your fitday.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:40 PM   #9  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby897 View Post
If you use fitday, log on and then log into the dietfacts website, you can find restaurant, particular brands, etc. and then at the bottom of the nutritional information it gives you a spot to "add to your fitday", I like the two, much faster than adding my own customs and once you add it through diet facts, it's a custom in your fitday.
OK. I went into FitDay and could not find the dietfacts area. Where am I supposed to look?
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:34 PM   #10  

Wasn't sure if I could list it here -- it's dietfacts.com -- you have to log into your fitday first and then go to the diet facts website, they have a spot to look up foods and then after you click on the one you want, most of the foods have a yellow box at the bottom to put it in fitday.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote