Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-24-2007, 07:47 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default How I've been

While away, I had an epiphany of sorts.

I've been caught up in numbers, in dieting, in losing weight so much that nothing has changed for me in the last year. Nothing I have done has worked.

But I had a dream, something that had a strong message (it wasn't religious), but it made me realize that I need to live TODAY...and stop worrying over the small things.

So I've given up on numbers (my weight, my calories, the time it takes to lose weight), and I broke my LIFESTYLE into 3 phases from where I am now.

Since I still eat a lot of junk food, my first phase is to learn how to eat only when hungry, one plate/bowl of food at a meal, and to eat 3 meals a day. No snacks.

It works surprisingly well for me. Learning to wait until I'm hungry is the hardest part. But I get more things done...and I feel so much better. I don't have to worry about a diet anymore.

I'm gonna weigh only once a month, and when I start to slow with weight loss...I go into phase two. Which is taking my 3 meals, and putting in healthy foods in place of the junk.

When the weight loss slows, I go into phase 3. Which is record my exercise and conciously add more exercise in.

When the weight loss slows, I keep to these simple things and just wait it out. By the time my weight loss slows the third time, I'll be near my goal, and it's only a matter of waiting (or checking my portions).

I've been doing well the past 3 days with my eating...I realized I was slipping in snacks when I didn't need them, so I am fixing that. Today was my first 3 meal a day (no snacks).

I don't know my weight or if I've lost from this, but I'll weigh on the first. And I'm pretty much coming back to 3fc.

I realize now that I was way too obsessive before...and that I just need to work on my life, not my diet. The diet will follow.

How has everyone else been?
Gamerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:53 PM   #2  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Glad to see you back!

Oftentimes people who are prone to unhealthy obsessions and eating disordered behaviour should probably keep from focusing on the numbers and try just focusing on the health aspect.

But checking those numbers has an allure that I can't seem to shake, I'll admit!

Anyway, your plan sounds like a good one, provided that you think that you can keep to it and that it will work for you.

As always, I wish you all the best in your healthy endeavours.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

You do what YOU need to do to change your lifestyle. Please let us know how you are doing.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:10 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Glad to see you back here at 3FC. It sounds as if you have mapped out a plan custom made just for you. Good luck!!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

Gamerchick, when I was younger (in my 20's), I successfully lost 30 or 35 pounds, simply through doing your phase 1. I ate 3 meals a day, of whatever was going, including restaurant foods, and typical university junk. So I'm sure that if you keep up with what you've started, you will have success, without expending the mental energy that goes in to tracking all those numbers. Good luck!
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:31 PM   #6  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Sounds perfectly reasonable. It's those junky snacks that get us, anyway! Thanks for checking in; please continue to stop by now and again.
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/172/142

Height: 5' 5"

Your plan sounds very workable. If it is succesful for you, maybe you should write a book! Your approach makes more sense than some stuff I have read (and paid good money for).
tj north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:06 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Gamer!!!! So glad to c u! I like your plan--it is simple to follow. I like the "phases" as well. I'm sure just having regular times for eating will be helpful.

So glad you checked in! We missed you!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:24 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

I'm glad you came back to tell us how you're doing. And it sounds like you're doing very well.
A very well thought out and considered plan ... suited to you and your life and style. That's a huge accomplishment.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:57 AM   #10  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Hi Gamerchick- You might want to check out "Intuitive Eating #4" thread under "General Diet Plans". We all do what you do, and it's SO freeing. I would never have believed that banning fitday and the scales would feel so good!

If you're looking for further reading to support yourself and your plan, then I'm sure the lovely ladies over there can recommend things. Personally I have a UK book which I love, but I think it's expensive to ship to the US.

Glad you're doing well
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:18 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Hey Gamer! I guess I'm the odd "man" out . I personally would switch phases 1 with 2. I think the quality of the food is more important than the quantity. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what your plan is, but I dont see the virtue in eating three meals of junk food, as long as its just 3 times a day.

I would switch to healthy foods first (though I'm no "purist" so I eat some candy or other unhealthy things a few times a week but usually just one or two servings at a time), and then try to get a handle on the portions. I dunno, its hard to overeat too many strawberries (I'm staring at an empty container from last night on my desk) or even the higher in calories banana, or a bunch of chicken or yogurt.

You do remind me of myself with all your planning and epiphanies . I think that's a good thing. You think of how you need to improve and you set out a plan to get there and you try that plan. Sometimes we're not as great at carrying out a plan as we are at creating it in our own mind, but trying is really the key. Not talking about you there, more myself .

Let us know how things go.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:31 AM   #12  

Height: 5'6"

Well, the main thing with my phase 1 being a good thing is because those 3 meals, even if they are junk, are a lot less than I would be eating regularily if I was just being myself. And because I want to start off small. I don't want to try and do 3 meals AND healthy food, make myself feel like I'm doing too much at once (I easily overwhealm myself and make the standards stricter), and binge. So...I'm just doing what I know I CAN do.
Gamerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:49 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerchick View Post
Well, the main thing with my phase 1 being a good thing is because those 3 meals, even if they are junk, are a lot less than I would be eating regularily if I was just being myself. And because I want to start off small. I don't want to try and do 3 meals AND healthy food, make myself feel like I'm doing too much at once (I easily overwhealm myself and make the standards stricter), and binge. So...I'm just doing what I know I CAN do.
Gamer, you need to do you -- like everyone's said. Just wanted to clarify that I meant starting off eating healthy foods, but in the quantities I wanted. So rather than worrying about quantity, I'd learn how to eat healthy. If I overate on healthy food, well so be it, I'd get a handle on that later on in phase 2. I'd first start out getting used to planning, thinking of easy quick things I can eat that are healthy but without really worrying about portions or calories. I just think if you focused on eating healthy, the weightloss would easily follow forever.

If I was limiting myself to eating 3 meals of junk, I'm just not sure how long it might be before I started craving more seeing as the junk was in my home and in my system, causing me to crave it, yet at some point not being able to deny it since its around already as its part of my "diet".

I agree that, when starting out losing weight, its fairly easy coming off when we make small changes. And I think moving in phases is a perfect start for you.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:04 PM   #14  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

I`m with Mami on this one. I believe that lots of good food trumps junk any day. I eyeball my portion sizes, I eat when I´m hungry, I`m sure I eat more fruit than is necessary or even safe. But all of my food is good, healthy, nothing that comes from a packet, bag, or a can. But that`s only my 2 cents.

In any case, the best plan is the plan that works for you. And this looks like a reasonable plan that you can stick to. GOOD LUCK and keep us updated.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:30 PM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

As I said before, I like that you're doing one thing at a time and then seeing how that works. Yeah, healthy food is better--but as you noted, you don't want to have to do too many things at once.

Proceed with your plan! Hope to hear from you again soon, Gamerchick!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote