Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-23-2007, 09:37 PM   #1  
on my way to fabulous

S/C/G: 239/218.2/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Numb feet?

Hi, all! I don't usually hang out on this part of 3FC, but I'm having issues and hope maybe someone could offer a suggestion or 2. My feet go numb every time I use the elliptical. That's the only time...they're fine during other types of exercise and workouts. I thought it was because my shoes were too small/tight, but I just recently replaced them and the problem still exists. Went from size 9 New Balance to size 9.5 Adidas. Thoughts?
jetsetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:43 PM   #2  

I'd read somewhere that happens if you put your weight on the balls of your feet, or your toes. The numbness stops if you lean back more and put your weight on your heels. I had the same problem, and yeah I felt a bit off-kilter at first but the numbness in my toes sure went away!

Good luck,
Sara
gaylors79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I did some research on this a while back, because my feet *always* get numb on the elliptical and I assumed it was the fault of my sneakers. Apparently numb feet is endemic to using the elliptical and doesn't have much to do with sneakers. I just try to shift my weight around on my feet as I go, and especially when I feel the numbness coming on. This is probably a good strategy anyway, as leaning back onto the heels puts more responsbility for the workout onto the gluts instead of the quads. It's a bummer--the elliptical is my favorite, and it seems like a *major* design flaw, but, there it is.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:03 AM   #4  
on my way to fabulous

Thank you both so much. It's really good to know that I'm not the only one with the problem, and that there may be a solution. I definitely put most of my weight on the front half of my feet. I'll concentrate more on my balance next time around.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:13 AM   #5  
Slowly, slowly.

Height: 5'2"

Do you spend some time going in reverse too?
I have had the numb feet thing (its awful when you get off and you cant feel your feet!! lol) If I spend a few minutes going backwards it seems to help (and my! I can feel it in my Butt!!)
HTH
mum2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:22 AM   #6  
on my way to fabulous

Yes, come to think of it, that's exactly what I've been doing when I can't take it any longer!! I guess putting the weight on my heels alleviates whatever damage I've does to the rest of me feet. Hmmmm...food for thought.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:28 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I get numb feet and legs on other equiptment too, like some bicycles and rowing machines. In my case, it seems like when the equiptment is set up for someone with shorter legs than I have, it's more likely to happen. If I can fully extend my leg, I have fewer problems. I think it's a nerve impingement thing - like sitting cross-legged on the floor.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:37 AM   #8  

I get the numbness too, but only on my right foot????
Berlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:37 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/192/145

Height: 5'6"

I went down to the running store and got some Powerstep inserts and that seems to have taken care of some of the numbness. They seem to redistribute the weight on my feet just a bit. They're also really comfy.
harrypotterybarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #10  
No excuses this time!

S/C/G: 279/249/154

I have the same thing happen to me when I use the recumbent bike - next time I might try my feet further away and see if that helps - glad others experience it too though...
mumtoliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:01 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 217/See Ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

I know this thread has been kind of dead for awhile, but I just wanted to add that my feet go numb when I walk for long periods of time. On my 5 mile walks, and about mile 3 my feet go kinda numb so I stop and flex them a few times, then keep going and it seems to go away after awhile.
KCWMU is offline   Reply With Quote