Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-23-2007, 07:37 AM   #1  
Meg

Default The Reality Of Fast Food

Check out what was in Hungry-Girl this morning: Fast Food: Ads vs. Reality

Something to keep in mind the next time our mouths start watering over the TV commercials!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:23 AM   #2  

I'm pretty sure I should NOT have started my day looking at that!

Yes, there's a reason I'm a 99% vegetarian (the exception being beef salad in a Thai or Vietnamese restaurant--yum).
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:42 AM   #3  
LLV

Has anybody ever seen the movie Falling Down with Michael Douglas? That movie is like watching fantasies because he does so many things that many of us would like to do, but don't. And one of the scenes is him in a fast food restaurant and when he gets his food, he goes off because the food doesn't look like the picture.

Anyway, you'd have to see it to know what I'm talking about, but it was very amusing.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:19 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Something funny is that since DH and I no longer watch regular tv and don't see commercials, we are fascinated when we actually see commercials somewhere. I think both of us were in a store that had a tv channel on with a commercial and both of us were watching with a weird sense of awe. I think it is weird that I could easily ignore commercials when they were a normal part of my life but now when I see them, I can't help but watch them. I do think they have more power than I believed they do.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:57 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

We discussed this exact topic at some length in my marketing and advertising classes in college. Some hve tried to argue that showing the foods so perfectly in ads is misleading and false advertising. However, the rebuttal from the restaurants is that the length of time required to shoot a commercial/perform a photo shoot is too long for the food to remain looking fresh under the hot lights and whatnot. Because of this, the food in the ads often isn't even real--it's all plastic and latex and other yummy things
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:50 PM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
We discussed this exact topic at some length in my marketing and advertising classes in college. Some hve tried to argue that showing the foods so perfectly in ads is misleading and false advertising. However, the rebuttal from the restaurants is that the length of time required to shoot a commercial/perform a photo shoot is too long for the food to remain looking fresh under the hot lights and whatnot. Because of this, the food in the ads often isn't even real--it's all plastic and latex and other yummy things
I can understand that, but it seems to me that if you are going to make a plastic replica of your food, the replica should look like the food it is supposedly replicating! This is something that has driven me nuts about fast food (and other restaurant) advertising for years!

But sadly, it's not just fast food advertising, it seems like it is practically every ad you see these days.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:06 PM   #7  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

And it is so hard to ignore the commercials since they are usually at a higher volume that the programme they are supposed to be part of . . . they know all the tricks to get your attention.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

The Filet o' Fish and the McMuffins seem to come the closest to looking like their photos. . .
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:48 PM   #9  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Unfortunately, I think I've tried everything in those pic's. LOL, but that was a LONG time ago. Sad, though it still looks good to me even with it all squished and drippy looking.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:05 PM   #10  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-Bee View Post
The Filet o' Fish and the McMuffins seem to come the closest to looking like their photos. . .
Well there isn't really much you can do to screw up a fish sandwich, I suppose. It's just a deep-fried fish fillet on a bun slapped with a TON of tartar sauce and sometimes cheese, LOL.

I remember ordering (eons ago, it seems) those fish sandwiches from McDonald's because, admittedly, I used to love them. And they'd slather them with so much tartar sauce that the first thing I'd do is open the sandwich up and scrape half of it off. I like a LITTLE tartar sauce on fish sandwiches, not 3 cups.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:22 PM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

My niece used to be a photo assistant - i.e. she'd set up the stuff to be photographed. She said watching what they do to food puts you right off eating! She did this for a now-defunct dept store, not fast food places, so they actually did use "real" food, as often it was used as an accessory, not the product being sold.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:46 PM   #12  
No more fake foods!

S/C/G: 190/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Ew, that KFC Famous Bowl looks the worst. Ugh, it's so nasty.
I wouldn't like to know what it's famous for...
PurdueGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:23 AM   #13  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGal View Post
Ew, that KFC Famous Bowl looks the worst. Ugh, it's so nasty.
I wouldn't like to know what it's famous for...
I was wondering the same thing. If they're so famous, how come nobody has heard of them?

Them babies are approx. 700 calories EACH.

I can think of WAY better things to spend 700 calories on.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:26 AM   #14  

I thought the taco salad didn't look too bad at all.

I make my own at home all the time. They don't look nearly as good as the one on the ad either!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote