Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 11:34 PM   #1  

Default HOAX?? i have been wonderin...

ok so i have been hearing about "weight loss hypnosis" since like forever and i was just wondering if this works. i know that it is not a replacement for diet and exercise but i was thinking if it could be a nice motivational kind of thing.
I searched on the internet for it and there are cds or scripts you could buy (not happening lol) and there are scripts you could record for yourself.

Has anyone ever heard of this helping on the weightloss journey? or is it a complete waste of time. It also kind of reminds of that thing people do, like stand in front of their mirrors every morning and continuously say a good thing about themselves for acheivement and support.

Just curious..any feedback appreciated
Old 04-21-2007, 01:19 AM   #2  
it's always something

We've heard from some members that have had some success with hypnosis. We've heard from more that tried it and it didn't help them. It's a very individual thing
Old 04-21-2007, 03:07 AM   #3  
resident lactivist

Look at it this way. If it doesn't work, at least you haven't been putting God-only-knows-what into your body, like with diet pills. Cost, of course, is another issue altogether.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

In college I had a little training in therapeutic hypnosis (not enough to ever use it in practice, except on myself). Hypnosis is related to progressive relaxation, and creative visualization. It can't "make" you do anything, and very few people can be drawn into deep hypnotic trances (where you can be persuaded into not remembering the content of the hypnotic suggestions)

Persuasion is a good way to look at hypnosis. If you hear something enough, you are more likely to believe and act on it, so one time hypnosis tends not to be very effective. Tapes and even positive visualization and "self-talk" can be helpful tools. The advantage to self-hypnosis, is that its easy to learn, and free.

I have been hypnotized for weight loss, (the hypnotist gave me a tape, and I also used self-hypnosis from my college training), but it is something you have to keep up to be helpful, and I got out of the habit too quickly. I do often use it at night for joint pain, muscle cramps and insomnia. I use soft music with no words, or words I can't understand (I like Enya and other Celtic soft vocal music in Gaelic. If I understand the words, I listen to them instead of concentrating on my thoughts and mental images). While listening to the music I try to relax as fully as I can, and I start visualize myself floating on a cloud and the pain going away or falling asleep.

In a nutshell, that's hypnosis, whether you do it yourself or have someone else do it. You relax and while relaxing concentrate and imagine or visualize changing your behavior, condition, and/or image of yourself. Deep relaxation, for some people can be tricky to learn on your own, so renting a good tape or paying for a session or two can be a good investment. If you can find a hypnotherapist who is trained in teaching self-hypnosis, all the better.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:54 PM   #5  

ooh very interesting...thank you all for the replies!!
Closed Thread