Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-21-2007, 10:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

Default Cedar planks for grilling fish

I have to share this- I am at best a novice cook so, believe me, it's easy!

We bought the cedar planks for cooking fish that you see at practically every meat counter these days. You soak them in water then place them on your grill and put the fish- we used salmon steaks from Sam's- on top.

Awesome! It tasted like lean, moist, flaky smoked salmon and didn't even need seasoning. We served it with a big salad of mixed greens and wow! The flavor is so rich and full, one portion is sure to satisfy!

FYI: They do burn and are a one use only item.

Has anyone tried these with other types of fish?
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:57 AM   #2  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

I'm a salmon fan but my husband did Swordfish for his choice. You're right - these planks are wonderful. Just make sure you soak them the required amount of time. We stick them in a pan of water or in the sink with a weight on top to make sure they are completely immersed.

They do keep the fish moist give a wonderful flavor so that you only need minimal additional seasonings.

happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Another advantage to the planks is that if you serve the fish on them, the fish stays warm throughout your entire meal. When I cook fish, it seems like it is cold practically before it hits our plates. I haven't tried cooking with the planks yet (we are grill challenged in our household) but I've had fish served on them in restaurants and it was awesome.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote