Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-21-2007, 01:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Thumbs up Discoveries - Good and Bad

I just checked the Burger King veggie burger's calories on Calorie King, and the first result almost made my cry. 420 calories... I swear that I read somewhere that it had 290.

The 290 result made me curious to try it out, so after work on Thursday and before we went grocery shopping, my bf and I stopped at BK.

It was the tiniest, most shriveled up, yucky, burned veggie burger that I've ever had! It comes with a white sesame seed bun, the burger, onions, tomato, pickles & ketchup (I requested it without onions). The ONLY reason that I ate it was because the bun tasted good, and I was soooo hungry. NEVER again! Such a waste of calories and money!

But then...I discovered Ben & Jerry's 100 calorie ice cream packs - I can't wait to try them! Plus, sugar free chocolate jello (under 100), and Oroville popcorn 100 calorie packs. I also got the 100 calorie Dove chocolate bar (toffee) to try, as well as 4 differant kinds of rice cakes. Rice cakes are so versatile, low calorie and yummy! I am totally obsessed with them. Today for lunch, I had two rice cakes with a little can of flavored tuna (160 cal for the spicy thai flavor) and two TB almost FF cream cheese (40 cal) on top. Yummy!

I haven't binged in atleast 3 days, and I think it's because I'm having foods that I might consider treats, yet still staying within my calorie range...and also eating really healthy. Today one of my coworkers brought in donuts and muffins from Tim Horton's...I didn't touch them...and then the two other people who work in the office with me mentioned that on Fridays, they don't cook, so they have a pizza night. I came home and had teriyaki salmon, a baked potato, and corn. SO much better, and yummier, too!

I'm really proud of myself
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

You might want to check it again on BK's website. I thought that more like 350 if you got it without cheese and mayo. They have it so you can customize all of their items.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:52 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I went to Subway about two weeks ago and had a Veggie Patty sandwich (the small one, trying to pick a healthy sandwich) anyway there was NO nutritional info anywhere in the store..... after I ate it I freaked b/c I thought OMG watch it be loaded with fat and just as bad as a whopper.

I just went on Subway's website and could not find the veggy patty calories.

I went on the UK Subway website and it had it listed there at 377 calories w/cheese (I didn't have the cheese) so I'm thinking maybe the sandwich was 277 calories.

If its in your calories range I would suggest getting it, it was pretty good....but the cheese is the killer (dang nab it)

Anyone try the regular Veggie Sandwich?

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I really like the Subway roast beef or turkey subs--I've not tried them without the meat. I skip the cheese and just get salt, pepper and balsamic on the sandwich, along with lots of veggies and they're quite good! The treat is in the bread. How do they make those giant 6" rolls with so few calories???
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post

I just went on Subway's website and could not find the veggy patty calories.
A veggie patty? Hmm, I've never seen a veggie patty at Subway.

However, I went and found the nutrition info for the veggie patty. This info is for the patty alone.

Calories: 160
Total Fat: 5
Saturated: 0.5
Sodium: 520
Carb: 12
Fiber: 3
Protein: 15

The bread info, for a 6" wheat bun is 200.

So just the veggie patty alone and the bun is about 360 calories. That doesn't include condiments.

I personally like veggie patties, although I've never had Subway's. But I think a veggie sub with tons of fresh veggies is even yummier. I like having them pile on lettuce, tomato, onion, spinach, cucumber, green peppers, banana peppers and then give me a sprinkle of that sweet onion sauce! Occasionally I'll also get black olive if I'm in the mood for it.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 04:01 PM   #6  

RememberHowToSmile - I never thought about the fact that I didn't get cheese...according to the cashier, it only comes with ketchup, even though CalorieKing had one listing with mayo. To be honest, around 300 sounds so much more realistic to me then 450, because that tiny patty couldn't have been over 90, and the bun itself would be 200, tops. Then there was some ketchup and a couple of pickles, along with the lettuce and tomatoes.

LLV - I've always wanted to try the veggie patty sandwich from Subway. I used to go to Subway all the time - they have the best sandwiches because they bake their bread fresh, and they are the only company whose seafood sandwich tastes good to me. Lately, if I go, I'll get them to put the seafood or tuna on a salad rather then the sub to save calories and carbs. I never ask for sauce, though, because they put so much mayo in the fish.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:27 PM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_a_dreamy1 View Post
LLV - I've always wanted to try the veggie patty sandwich from Subway. I used to go to Subway all the time - they have the best sandwiches because they bake their bread fresh, and they are the only company whose seafood sandwich tastes good to me. Lately, if I go, I'll get them to put the seafood or tuna on a salad rather then the sub to save calories and carbs. I never ask for sauce, though, because they put so much mayo in the fish.
I love getting the seafood salads! Like you, I never use sauce or dressing on the salads because of the mayo in the seafood. Once I mix it all up together, it tastes just fine without dressing.

At least they use the "lite" mayo!
Old 04-21-2007, 06:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 171/168/135

Height: 5'5ish

Good for you for having the salmon and corn instead of the pizza Keep up with the no-binging!
gonnabelean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:37 PM   #9  

LLV - how did you find out that the mayo was lite? I used to work there, but I can't remember what the package said.

gonnabelean - thank you!
Old 04-21-2007, 08:35 PM   #10  
LLV

Quote:
LLV - how did you find out that the mayo was lite? I used to work there, but I can't remember what the package said.
I really don't remember. All I remember is reading that Subway uses lite mayo in their seafood and crab salad. Not sure about the tuna, I've never eaten their tuna salad. But one day when I was at Subway, I asked about it, if they use lite mayo in their seafood and crab salad and they told me they did.

But that may not apply to all Subway restaurants. It's possible some of them use the full fat.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:54 PM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
A veggie patty? Hmm, I've never seen a veggie patty at Subway.
Yep they have em, I got mine in NY. Where I live in NJ we don't have a subway near my home, instead we have Blimpies which I don't think I've ever tried... anyway... Subways veggie patty is tasty.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:39 AM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
But then...I discovered Ben & Jerry's 100 calorie ice cream packs - I can't wait to try them!
What are the 100 calorie ice cream packs? I'd be interested in what they offer for 100 calories because the only thing I've seen of theirs are their single serving cups which are nearly 300 calories. Is it a bar of some type?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:24 AM   #13  

Linda - I've noticed that just because a store has the name of a specific chain doesn't mean that all of the details are the same. That's especially true when it comes to Canada and the US.

Nelie - I got the brand wrong - it's actually Breyer's. They are Chocolate Fudge Brownie, and they're actually little cups...I tried one tonight, and I savored every little spoonful. Yummy!
Old 04-22-2007, 10:48 AM   #14  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
Yep they have em, I got mine in NY. Where I live in NJ we don't have a subway near my home, instead we have Blimpies which I don't think I've ever tried... anyway... Subways veggie patty is tasty.
Maybe I'll try it sometime, if our Subway's serve them. I've never seen it on the menu, but then I'm pretty set in my ways as to what I order from Subway. Usually I already know what I want when I walk through the door, so I don't really stand there and study the menu too much. It's possible it's there and I've just never noticed.

Quote:
Linda - I've noticed that just because a store has the name of a specific chain doesn't mean that all of the details are the same. That's especially true when it comes to Canada and the US.
Very true! I imagine some of the Subway's use the full-fat mayo.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:17 PM   #15  

Linda - I guess the only thing that you can really do is exactly what we are doing...just be aware that they put a rather large amount of mayo in the tuna and seafood salad, and eat it on a salad without dressing. That way, we can still have something that we enjoy without having a 'bad' meal