Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-20-2007, 08:27 AM   #1  

Default Would you say to someone at the gym?

" HEY Looks like you GAIN A TON of weight"
I did gain some weight!!! I used to go to this kickboxing class and a woman there saw me after a few months and she was like "YOU GAIN SO MUCH WEIGHT!!!" Iwas like Geez I know....
I am taking ZUMBA now and she goes there too.... I just hope she does not recognize me....
But what would you say back to her ???
carolva77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:53 AM   #2  

bump
Old 04-20-2007, 08:56 AM   #3  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

"And you've lost so many neurons!"?
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:57 AM   #4  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

you could look at her and say "gee thanks, i'm feeling much better now after my near death experience"

she's just rude and inconsiderate or maybe she's like me with ADHD and she just has no internal monolouge controls. however if you did gain weight, it' merely a statment of fact/observation not a judgement.

i'm sorry if she hurt your feelings.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:57 AM   #5  

I hope she does not talked to me ever again, cause believe it or not I do know I have gain some weight
Old 04-20-2007, 08:58 AM   #6  

well lol not my feelings but I dont need the constant reminder...I know I have gain weight....I just find such an observation rude.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 246/244/143

Height: 5'6''

Snide "Aww, aren't you the sweetest?" or "Yes, and I'm so glad you are here to make me feel better about it!"

In-your-face "Yes, on the other hand I still have all my brain cells - how unfortunate you sweated them out!"

Get away "I know, it's stress-related - kickboxing really helps! Though it would help more if I could actually kick some really rude annoying people... you know what I mean?" (delivered with a smile)

what mood to choose, that's the question!

Of course you could also go the adult way:

Open and honest "I did, but to be honest I find it quite insensitive and rude on your part to make this kind of observation - it's not helpful at all."

but again, that depends on the mood
FitMomEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:29 AM   #8  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

I find it incredibly rude when someone say's things like that to you. Good God, if they can't find something nice to say, they need to not say anything at all. I know for myself, when someone so rudely reminds me of my weight, it makes me feel worse than I already do and I eat that much more.

A few yrs ago, upon meeting my BF's father, he was so gracious to let me know that I am a big girl. I've hated him every since. Since this past Sept, I have been under an extremem amount of stress, and beings that I am a stress eater, I've gained back 10 + of the weight I had lost. When the BF announced that dear Daddy was coming down for a visit, I told him he needs to pull his Dad aside and let him know NOT say say a freaking word to me about unless he wants things to get REAL ugly.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:30 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

If I saw someone after a long period of time and she had gained 800 pounds and had to ride one of those motor scooter things because of it, I STILL wouldn't mention it. It's just rude. If the person wants to talk about it, she'll bring it up. Otherwise, you just DON'T SAY ANYTHING. People who make comments like that are complete idiots.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #10  

Quote:
If I saw someone after a long period of time and she had gained 800 pounds and had to ride one of those motor scooter things because of it, I STILL wouldn't mention it. It's just rude. If the person wants to talk about it, she'll bring it up. Otherwise, you just DON'T SAY ANYTHING. People who make comments like that are complete idiots.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:07 AM   #11  
ONEderland here I come!

OK but can i ask a question of you all?

do you say anything to the same person when you notice they've lost a lot of weight? and if so why or why not?
Old 04-20-2007, 11:10 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugnessa View Post
OK but can i ask a question of you all?

do you say anything to the same person when you notice they've lost a lot of weight? and if so why or why not?
If I know the person maybe yes... If they have gained weight NOT
Old 04-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #13  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

Because usually, it is a compliment to someone who has been trying to lose and they have, I know I like the recognition, don't you? I know for myself, I do not need to be reminded that I have gained weight from anyone. I have to live with myself and see myself in the mirror everyday. IMO, it's just plain rude, unless of course it's your Trainer and it's weigh-in day.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #14  
ONEderland here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolva77 View Post
If I know the person maybe yes... If they have gained weight NOT
but why is it different.

why is gaining so negative and losing so positive?

i ask because i've lost 50 pounds and it's noticable. but i have folks afraid to say anything to me (not at the gym... at the gym everyone ignores me)... but they think "OMG what if she's sick"

I just think that we set ourselves up for problems if we give negative and positive connotations to weight.

I'm fat. It's not a negative statement. It's not an insult. I've had folks try to INSULT ME with 'your fat'. my response is "your very observant" tends to really annoy them.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #15  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

I can only speak for myself, but when I lose weight, and someone notices and comments on it, it's a MOST positive experience for me.