Old 04-17-2007, 07:50 PM   #1  
Becca on LAWL

S/C/G: 220/193/123

Cool Ideas for chicken...

Hi, all! I am in my third week (just started week #3 this morning) and I have hit a bit of a snag...I am still losing, but not at the rate I was in the beginning. I am attributing this to an overuse (I probably get a little heavy-handed) of the condiment of low sodium soy sauce. But it is really the only thing that I have been able to think of that I actually ENJOY and that is EASY to cook my chicken in - But I KNOW that some of you who have been on the program for a long time MUST have some other suggestions on what condiments/spices that I can put on this chicken...

PLEASE enlighten me!!! Thank you so much!!!
stitchinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:07 PM   #2  
Kristen-LAWL

S/C/G: 251/215/155

Height: 5 8 1/2"

Have a look in the recipe threads as there are some great dishes in there with flavor.. will give you a nice change! The LAWL cookbooks are super too.. I made Sweet and Sour chicken last week that was great and have used the Chicken Parm, Buffalo Chicken Tenders and Lemon chicken on a regular basis
KrispieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:08 PM   #3  
WonderWoman

Height: 5'5 and a half!

when i was doing LAWL the last time, pre-vegetarian, i used tons of mrs dash seasonings on my chicken. i still own every kind and use it on my veggies. it's a great way to season things without sodium.
JLem311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:20 PM   #4  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Mrs. Dash also makes some good marinades now that I have used and like.
Deb's cookbook also has about 100 chicken recipes that all look so yummy. Of course, everything looks yummy right now......I'm hungry.
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:29 PM   #5  
Michelle on LAWL

Height: 5'0"

i had some trouble with creative chicken too... so i did some experimenting and this is what i came up with... its really tasty. i counted it as 1Protein 3Veggies 1Fat and if you serve it with rice.. also 1Starch

one chicken breast..size to fit plan.. pound flat with meat mallet. in an oven/stovetop safe skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. season meat with pepper halfsalt and mrs dash on both sides. brown on both sides and remove from pan.

add 1 capful of dehydrated onions and 1 clove of chopped garlic to the pan and cook for one minute. don't let the garlic cook too much. add 1/8 cup of white wine.

add 1 serving of fresh spinach, 1 small tomato cut into wedges, and one serving of fresh asparagus. toss vegetables in wine mixture. sprinkle vegetables with mrs dash and return chicken to pan. cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

i served this with jasmine rice and spooned some of the sauce over the rice...
Wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:14 PM   #6  
The hotness! (AKA Kim)

S/C/G: 180/170/125

I like to keep it simple. Throw a chicken breast in the oven with some Mrs. Dash on it... if I'm feeling like I need to jazz it up a bit I'll cook it up with a little balsamic vinegar... Sorry, I'm not much help, but chicken is chicken, and I have yet to find a way to make it taste like a cherry cheesecake!... BTW, if anyone discovers how let me know ASAP
The best ME I can be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:46 AM   #7  
Becca on LAWL

Thank you for all of the suggestions...One question: where can I find "Deb's cookbook"? I have the LA Lite cookbook, but I have to say that I'd love to get some recipes from actual people who are ON the program - that have been tested & proved to be good!

And, for the record, give Kim the recipe for the cherry-cheesecake chicken, but if you find a way to make chicken taste like chocolate cake & still be POP, please let ME know!!!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:22 AM   #8  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

I have a copy but can't send it via this forum due to file size attachment limits. If you PM me with your personal email address, I can send Deb's cookbook to you from home tonight. It's about a 275 page word document. I keep it online; much easier. Sorry, but it doesn't contain cherry cheesecake chicken!
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:00 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 246/244/143

Height: 5'6''

I just made this yesterday, it was yummy! Basically I
- cooked a little bit of and then tossed it with a tsp of olive oil I had sauteed garlic in.
- Then I cut some chicken breasts in very thin slices, seasoned with salt, pepper and nutmeg and rolled them up with spinach in the middle.
- fixed the ends with toothpicks and sauteed the roll-ups in a little bit of olive oil, then added white wine and low-sodium chicken broth and let them cook.
-At the end I added a squeeze of lemon and thickened the sauce with a pinch of tapioca flour.
- Served it with steamed veggies and whole wheat noodles

My husband and even my picky 7 year old loved it

I love chickne, it's so versatile - it's definitely the kind of meat I buy the most!
FitMomEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:18 AM   #10  
Jill on LAWL

S/C/G: 192/157/155

Height: 5'4"

Well, I guess since I'm always so pressed for time, my recipe is super easy. I just marinate chicken breast in fat free Italian dressing and throw it in the microwave. Not very elaborate, but it works for me.
Jillibean1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:21 AM   #11  
Becca on LAWL

Jill,
I had thought of that! But I wasn't sure if you marinate the breast in the dressing if I have to COUNT the dressing - and if so, are you measuring it out or what??!!!

You will note that I am a COMPULSIVE measurer/weigher - going from one extreme (never doing so) to the other!!
Old 04-18-2007, 10:09 AM   #12  
Jill on LAWL

S/C/G: 192/157/155

Height: 5'4"

Yes, I do count the dressing and I do measure it. After I poke the chicken with a fork, it really doesn't take that much dressing to soak in and give it flavor. Just experiment to suit your tastes.
Jillibean1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #13  
Start Date Alli 1-4-08

S/C/G: 262/197.5/150

Height: 5'9"

Great ideas everyone!

Keep in mind too Stitchinchick that you may not be abusing the soy sauce but it is just natural for the loss to slow down after the first week or two. Personally, I lost 3 lbs the first week but since then only a 1/2-1 lb per week.
RaceGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:05 PM   #14  
Ann

S/C/G: 202/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

Is it ok to buy the already cooked rotisseri chicken you find at the grocery? It is delicious and melts in your mouth, I like the regualr roasted and the lemon pepper. I have only been on program for two days now. I have learned so much from the boards. I decided to get going. The chicken saved me today. Thanks
DreamerNTn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:20 PM   #15  
Becca on LAWL

I am relatively new too...I have to say that I really HOPE that the rotisserie chicken you find in the grocery store is "legal" - When we did the LA Express, we definitely ate it for those 2 days; Now that we are well into our 3rd week on the program, my dh and I will eat it on those nights when the kids have their activities late and there is no time to cook - but we only eat the white meat, we always measure and we never eat the skin.

I would be interested in hearing what those who have been on the program for a while have to say on this, though...