Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-16-2007, 08:41 PM   #1  
Ready for a better life!

Default Fell off the wagon-big time

It started so innocently. We got delayed going out for dinner by a few hours, no snacks, no water. By the time I got some food, I hadn't eaten in 8 hours and was feeling starved. I wolfed down a huge roast beef sandwich, salad and fries. The next two days, it was like, well, I've already blown it. That was my excuse to hit the McD drive through -twice- in one day, eat pizza and breadsticks, a huge donut. Here's the weird part. I didn't enjoy it, but I continued on. Eating all the things I had been avoiding but getting no pleasure from it, but not stopping.

Today I was determined to stop the cycle. It's almost bedtime and I've been on target today. I hope I can do the same tomorrow as well. The strangest thing is that today, counting my calories, drinking my water, measuring my food, I've been happier today than I have been since I fell off the wagon.

Also, I've been wanting to go back to the gym but it's now co-ed and I know myself well enough that I wouldn't be comfortable and therefore wouldn't go. So today a friend comes up to tell me she and several friends got together and hired a personal trainer who will work with the group twice per week for an hour each time. By the time we split the cost, it will only cost me $2.50 per hour! I couldn't believe it! We start this week and I'm excited.

Anyway, thanks for listening. I had a lot I needed to get off my chest. I've been avoiding the scale but I think I'll get on tomorrow. If I have gained, that's my lesson right there. If I've maintained, I'll thank my lucky stars I got away with it once. I have to remember, this is for my heart health, not just for my appearance.
LookingForHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:46 PM   #2  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

A slip-up followed by a GREAT RECOVERY! Looks like this one was a true learning experience with a BONUS! That's fantastic about the trainer!!!
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:47 PM   #3  

Boy part of that story sounds familar... We all have seemed to have fallen off the same wagon. HOW DO YOU THINK WE ALL MANAGE to FIT IN THERE in the first place...hehe Sorry gotta have some humor to it sometimes.

I have been on this same old journey for a long time...however, I have found much peace here in supporting others as they support me.

I hope I can continue on my journey and see great results. As I look around here I know it IS possible and the only one that can defeat ME is ME!!!

God Bless...
chelbell95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Why would one meal blow your weight loss plan? I look at my weekly rather than daily calorie count, so I would just try to make up a high calorie count with a lower day some other time during the week.

I definitely dont think you should beat yourself up over this. Guilt is a wasted emotion. I just don't get that mentality and excuse that "you've blown it" so might as well eat everything in site. Forgive me for being blunt, but this reasoning just doesn't fly. People dont normally gain a lot of weight from one or two over-the-top meals or from a donut once in a while, its more the constant eating of these foods that brings on the pounds.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Gosh! I'm so glad you stopped when you did! Whew!

Limiting food and increasing activity is stressful, and so it's not surprising that the added stress of not eating for 8 hours and being super hungry would push you over the edge. All that "force feeding" (because that's what it was) afterward was some kind of reactive mode...

Your lesson for it could be: Don't let yourself get in a position where you have no food or water for 8 hours, if you can possibly help it! Carry a snack bar, like a Kashi bar, with you at all times for an emergency. And always have some water in the car if not with you.

Sure glad you did OK today! Keep on! Hang in there!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:00 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I think you've learned a valuable lesson. You learned how unhappy you were being OFF the wagon and that you actually ENJOY being on plan!!! Then of course there's the starving issue. Definitely not a good thing, it is an invitation for disaster. Don't we ALL know it only too well.

That sounds like a great plan you and your friends have worked out at the gym. I am soooo jealous. It sounds great!! Enjoy.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:37 PM   #7  

Boy I so related to your post!!!! I went off the wagon yesterday, too!!! It was like a temper tantrum for me. All my plans kept just falling through and I just placated myself with food. Then this morning i decided to jump on the scale!!! How bloomin stupid is that???? But it actually worked out good. I was up and it really annoyed me. All of the sudden i was mad that I had let all my hard work be wasted!!! Somehow I fit in two three mile walks today. I have declared myself forgiven!!!!

I am so happy you found the deal with the personal trainer!!!! It is great to have friends like that!!!! Remember, today is a new day!!!! We all fall off that bloomin wagon!!! It is time to give yourself that big pat on the back for scrambling back on!!!!!
ibbasquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:01 PM   #8  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Wow - I agree with Cheryl -nice recovery!! Good Job!

You know what I always say? 'I can't fall off the wagon - I'm driving it!' ...so maybe you had a little pit stop, that's all!

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Hey Lookingforhope, BTW I forgot to mention I go off the wagon myself a lot. I guess I was just focusing on the excuses part in my quick response. I dont make any to myself and I dont let myself feel guilty either. I do continue to count calories and try to exercise when I'm overeating or if I eat something unhealthy. So I never let myself slip away from reality (by still counting the calories) and it helps me get back on track faster. I dont feel bad though as I somewhat consider it part of the plan; I'm not one to deprive myself but I am able to be strict for a few days, just long enough to counteract my high days. My weightloss HAS been slow because of it, but its very steady so that's a good thing. Best of luck getting back OP !
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:08 AM   #10  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Good luck getting back on plan from me as well (since you didn't let another 'bad day' happen, it seems to me like it's going well today?). Having sessions with the trainer to look forward to can only give even more of a motivation, I'm sure.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:20 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Haha I've been there MANY times. But nice recovery! And a personal trainer-awesome!
noodleskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 182/154/135

Height: 5'4

Sounds like you didn't let it get totally out of hand (I've been known to go on week long binges!) and that personal trainer thing sounds like a fantastic idea. Lucky you.

Don't beat yourself up about a slip- it happens to us all.

ibbasquish- that is exactly what happens when I go off plan. It's absolutely like a temper tantrum, like a little rebellion. Most of the time it's not even about the food I just having a bold toddler moment!
doozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:45 PM   #13  
Ready for a better life!

Thanks to everyone for the support. I had a really good day yesterday, and a pretty good day today. I am looking forward to the trainer because I could use someone prodding me along!
I did get on the scale today, up 6/10 of a pound. Not too bad!
LookingForHope is offline   Reply With Quote