Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-17-2007, 01:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/219/150

Height: 5'2"

Angry This is so not fair.

So I got up and weighed myself this morning like I always do. I haven't been to the gym yet this week, but my eating has been right on track (and besides I'm not so good at getting to the gym more than 3X a week anyway, so I guess that's also right on track). I got on the scale. I swore. I got off the scale, stripped, and got back on. I swore loudly enough that my roommate, who was on the other side of the house, asked what was wrong. I went to bed weighing 225 pounds. I woke up weighing 228.5. What in the **** is going on here? This has never happened to me before and I'm kind of upset about it. I don't feel bloaty at all. I just feel angry. Any thoughts?

(And no, I'm not moving my sliders back to 228.5, so there.)

I'm a total dumbass and there's a typo in the thread title, and there is nothing whatsoever I can do about it. Apologies.

Last edited by kella; 04-17-2007 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Clarification
kella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:21 PM   #2  

Are you close to your TOM? Maybe you are retaining water
carolva77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Yeah, that sounds like period-related water retention to me. Go to the gym, eat on plan, stay away from the scale for a few days, and don't weigh yourself until the end of the week. (And if you get your period, just acknowledge that your body needs to do what it needs to do.)
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:43 PM   #4  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Definitely sounds like water weight. What else could it be? To have gained that much fat in such a little time, you'd have to eat.... god I can't even DO the math!..... around.... I think.... 10,500 calories!!!!! I don't think you can eat that much in ONE day.

Do you?

Yup, water weight! Which can fluctuate between 1-5 or MORE pounds in any given day or two. Hateful bein' a woman sometimes, ain't it?

Try not to stress about it! - it'll go away the same way it came on.

~peace
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:48 PM   #5  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Sounds like water weight to me as well. Or whatever the scientific name of that thing is.

No matter what, it is just completely illogical and pretty much impossible to gain 3 pounds over the night. Even if you were eating in your sleep without knowing it, I doubt this would happen!
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:56 PM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Ok, so WHY did you weigh yourself last night and again this morning???? Weighing in ONCE A WEEK is probably the best for assessing your weight loss/gain trend. Weighing in DAILY is the best means for maintaining your weight. SMALL FLUCTUATIONS ARE NORMAL, even overnight. One glass of water accounts for a lb of weight. You might find that getting on and off the scales every 12 hours is SELF DEFEATING. A normal weight fluctuation has now sent you off into a negative spin.
Try a weekly weigh in. Get off the numbers rollercoaster. Trust me...
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I agree with everyone else here....impossible to have a 3 pound fat gain overnight!!! It truely has to be water and possibly close to TOM! You may be eating on plan but you could have had something yesterday with more salt than you realized. Don't fret it....it will disappear as mysterically as it appreared!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

If you log your daily weight on a spreadsheet, its easier to see OVER TIME the up and down fluctuations and to deal with them better. I've been logging my weight daily for over 13 weeks, so I can SEE my pattern very clearly. Every week I fluctuate up and down by approximately 3 pounds. I also log my calorie deficit (the difference between the number of calories I ate minus the number of calories I burned through lifestyle and exercise) and every week I have achieved a deficit that amounts to close to 1 pound and sometimes over 1 pound. Therefore, I KNOW that I could not have gained any real fat because I've had a deficit EVERY week. This helped me realize that its impossible that the fluctuations were fat.

I record my ACTUAL TRUE weight at the end of each week in bold. Guess what number I pick as my ACTUAL weight? The lowest number I've hit yet (my NEW LOW). If I didn't hit a new low during a given week, then I still consider my weight to be my New Low from the prior week (rather than recording a gain).

This will NOT work if I am not achieving WEEKLY (not daily) calorie deficits however.

Therefore, with my method I always get to record my lowest weight ever (since gaining my weight) as my actual weight, rather than recording my weight once a week on some arbitrary day where I could have fluctuated upward for just that day. Now THAT would be discouraging!
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:46 PM   #9  
hara hachi bu

Yeah, don't sweat it. It'll come off, if you're doing what you know works. I understand the frustration - I weigh weekly and this past week I *know* how sound my food choices were and I should have lost but I stayed the same - so hang in there. I decided I'm going to make sure I drink enough water this week. That always helps.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i say put away the scale...step back from the scale NOW! okay...you are getting a bit obsessed if you are weighing yourself night and day. Relax. You will fluctuate daily..and retain water certain times. So if you want to drive yourself mad and possibly ruin your weight loss attempts, step on the scale night and day. But if you want to relax some and make the most of you weight loss....put the scale away and weigh only once a week. All weight loss experts say that weighing more than that can cause you to stress seeing the differences in weight. I personally weight the same day, when i first get up and right after i pee and nakid. If i weighed myself daily i would go nuts. So first off...relax....you can do it..don't stress over every little thing.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:52 AM   #11  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

I can totally understand you are upset about this!

The scale is one of those things though... you can't measure your success by that number alone... try to remember ALL of the positive steps you are taking to lose weight and become healthy! Those things count sometimes even MORE than what our-so-called-friend the scale has to say about it!

I do think it's more helpful NOT to weigh to often. I know it's such a temptation to get on after we KNOW for a fact we've done REALLY well. I honestly think it's more important at that moment to savour the in-progress success instead of risking the scale wrecking our whole day when it doesn't reflect what we think it SHOULD be.

Hang in there!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:53 AM   #12  

Height: 5' 7''

Hey Kella, its probably TOM...personally I flucuate maybe 7-8lbs around that time, so my advice is to keep going the way you are and it will drop off again in time.

I just wanted to ring in on the weighing thing - I generally weigh each morning and evening...I don't get hung up on the number but it helps to keep me in focus and also to understand my body and its fluctuations. Yeah I can see peoples point about weighing in each week but different folks different strokes..do what works for you.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:31 AM   #13  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I weigh in every morning. I'm not sure why. I don't take it seriously if the scale shows a pound or two UP, but I sure do celebrate when it's DOWN.

I also measure myself. Usually once a week. I'm trying to take notes & see the differences between my body on a diet with no exercise & my avatar body (which was exercise & diet). It's very interesting.

I think if we don't UNDERSTAND our bodies, we will never be able to help them get to a healthy weight.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:40 AM   #14  
Beach Babe Wannabe

S/C/G: 257/226/125

Height: 5' 4" - 51 years old

I weigh every morning as well.. but I only document my weight each Monday.
I, like Claudia said, have charted my weekly weight for a year now.. I have noticed that EVERY month.. the week before I am to start my period, I gain about 1/2 a pound a day (up to 4 pounds).. I know this is going to happen.. and I actually add about 100-200 calories a day that week.. your body needs more calories and my Dr. told me you will burn up the extra calories.. (yum.. 200 cal of chocolate a day!- just kidding)..

start keeping track..
if it's not TOM..
did you eat Chinese (MSG always does this to me) or something very salty.. OR have lots of Caffeine?

don't worry about it.. and keep on keepin' on..
Runundefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:22 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 145/145/110

Height: 5'3½

I just don't get on the scale at all. I know that sounds crazy, but scales are jerks So, one day I'll wake up and squeeze back in to my 5 juniors, and THEN I'll weigh myself. Besides, it feels so much better to, one day, realize you're in your skinny jeans again than it does to watch the scale move down a pound or two. But that's just me.

And as far as water weight goes, I gain a good ten pounds every month. I've learned not to let it get to me.
inoxia is offline   Reply With Quote