Old 04-16-2007, 03:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/214/150

Default Help figuring out what plan for dh!

I need help figuring out what plan dh would be on. He weighs about 205 and is 5'11". He would like to get down to 170-175. Also if he does the plan without bars does he get anything more, meaning more of one type of food such as another protein, starch or the such like?
Thanks for all of your help!
Dawn
ministerswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:59 PM   #2  
Kristen-LAWL

S/C/G: 251/215/155

Height: 5 8 1/2"

Dawn
Usually if you are not on Lites you go up a food plan. Maybe one of the guys can answer that is close in weight as it might be hard for us ladies to guess.
Did you have any luck looking into the online for specials??
KrispieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:04 PM   #3  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Dawn - I'm not sure of the answer on what plan your DH should be on, but if he does an all food plan, he gets an additional veggie and protein portions are usually a little bit bigger. It doesn't seem fair to give up a yummy treat (LA Lite or equivalent) for a veggie and a few more ounces of protein, does it?
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #4  

Thanks you all! I just got back from the store and it is so depressing how expensive things are when trying to eat healthy. (Can you tell I haven't tried in a while?) The bars are so expensive, but I am hoping I will be able to get them at Sams for better deal. Otherwise I will have to do it without the bars. Dh says we will do it so don't worry but I still do when it is me doing the shopping.
Joni yea giving up a treat is bad if it is replaced with a veggie not fruit.

KrispieD the online deals a still so expensive, I think I'm gonna just do it on my own.

Thanks for all of your help.
Dawn
Old 04-16-2007, 09:48 PM   #5  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Dawn - we've had some previous discussions about the high cost of eating healthy, but there are different thoughts on this. Some folks no longer eat out as much as they were before and don't grab quick snacks from vending machines or wherever. You may want to start a thread such as "Tips to keeping the grocery bill down while doing LAWL" since I do recall seeing tips along the way, just wouldn't know where to begin to find them. When I'm doing the bars I only buy them when I find them on sale. Super Walmart seems to have the best bar prices, but most of the time I do the no bar/all food program since the bars are good, but full of junk.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 223/ticker/140

Height: 5' 7"

you know, Alton Brown (food network, Good Eats) Had an episode about making your own protein bars. He talked about how unhealthy most store bought protein bars are and that you can have bars that are more healthy and way cheaper and taste better, if you make them yourself. I am going to look into that, and look at the recipe, I wonder if we could be making our own bars????

stay tuned....
Lettie
zambejaly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:55 PM   #7  

Letti here is the link for those bars. I'm not sure if it will be the same or equal to LA Lites.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...ml?rsrc=search
Dawn
Old 04-16-2007, 11:33 PM   #8  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

LOL - it's got more than five ingredients, so the odds of me making those are slim to none! Plus all those ingredients are NOT in my pantry, so I fear this recipe would cost me a small fortune to make.

My favorite bar to supplement the LA Lites are the Kashi Go Lean bars. I buy them at Wally World and they are 77 cents each or I can get a box of six bars for something like $3.85 which works out to about 65 cents each. Not too bad.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:39 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 223/ticker/140

Height: 5' 7"

Ok, I will agree this is a little intimidating! But if you break it down its not so bad. You have your core ingredients and then you have the added ones that are exchangeable. Like all the dried fruit. (You know Cassie you can jump in here anytime and take over!) Soy Protein Powder you can get at Walmart or any health food store. then you got your flour and Oat bran......... wheat germ. I think I would tweak the sugars and cut back on the fruit, otherwise it would be too much fruit. but If you just look at the nutritional facts this is how they compare:

Alton's Bars LAWL's Bars
160 -----------------calories----------------- 190
21g -----------------carbohydrates---------- 30g
2.14g ---------------Fiber------------------- 0g
8.41g ---------------Protein ---------------- 8g
91 ------------------sodium ----------------- 85g
4.7 g ----------------fat -------------------- 4g

So they are very similar with Alton's bars looking even slightly more healthy.
zambejaly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #10  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

I think that dude is too funny...........i am going to have to go check out the recipe now.............

and Dawn...........I do not use any bars (soy intolerance), although I try to trick my body into accepting them every now and then.........and although I am kind of in a slump (or was anyway), I have had much success when I stay OP. I actually prefer to do it w/o bars, as I think they make me crazy. I used to feel like my whole day revolved around when I was going to get to eat my treat, and really, that is no way to live. Now, I just truly enjoy my foods, and I am not just trying to make it seem better than it really is. I still wish I could eat junk all the time, and when I do, it tastes really good........but for me personally, I think the plan works better without the bars. And as far as DH, I believe he would be on Red II, but I am not completely sure. If I were you, I would PM Cassi (biizlawchik). She seems to know all of the breakdowns very well.

Best of luck to you
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:33 PM   #11  
Ann

S/C/G: 202/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

This is LA's recomendations:

Menu Plan Worksheet
Use this worksheet to figure out which plan to follow.
Take your present weight deduct your ideal weight, and you will have the amount you need to lose. Example: present weight = 200,
deduct your ideal which is 130, and you have 70 pounds to lose.
Work out on the chart below which category you fall into, then take your take your ideal weight plus the amount you need to lose, and
you will see which plan to start with. Remember that once you start seeing that you are hitting a plateau, move up to the next plan.
Healthy Females 18 – 65 years
old
Ideal weight + 10 = Green
Ideal weight + 50 = Gold
Ideal weight + 40 = Purple
Ideal weight + 50 = Red
Ideal weight + 100 = Red
Healthy Males 18 years old and
older
Ideal weight + 80 = Purple
Ideal weight + 70 = Red
Ideal weight + 100 = Red
Do not drop below Purple plan
Cardiac: Male & Female
Ideal weight + 100 = Red
Ideal weight + 150 = Red
Do not drop below Red Plan
Insulin Diabetic: Male & Female
Ideal weight + 100 = Red
Ideal weight + 150 = Red
Activity greater than 5 hours a
week: Male & Female
Ideal weight + 100 = Red
Ideal weight + 150 = Red
Shift Worker: Male & Female
Ideal weight + 100 = Blue
Ideal weight + 50 = Red
Ideal weight + 100 = Red
Do not drop below Blue Plan
Oral & food controlled Diabetic:
Male & Female
Ideal weight + 50 = Red
Ideal weight + 100 = Red
Breast Feeding Mothers
Ideal weight + 100 = Red
Ideal weight + 150 = Red
Senior Female
Ideal weight + 50 = Red
Ideal weight + 100 = Red
Senior Male
Ideal weight + 80 = Purple
Ideal weight + 70 = Red
Ideal weight + 100 = Red
Do not drop below Purple Plan
Teenagers: Male & Female
Ideal weight+100 = Orange
Ideal weight+150 = Orange
Do not drop below Orange Plan

Hope it helps. Ann
DreamerNTn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:02 PM   #12  
sherri on LAWL

S/C/G: 160/156/130

Height: 5'6"

ooh, i'm curious to know what the green plan is! don't tell me they drop you down to 1 starch when you only have 10 lbs to lose.... anyone here on green?

Last edited by sherbear; 04-17-2007 at 04:21 PM.
sherbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:18 PM   #13  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

Where'd you get that forumla?

I know COD has expressly told me I will never drop below RED even though I only had 20 pounds to lose. It was soley based on activity level alone! I was told that even if I only had 4 pounds to lose if I was going to be doing 5 hours of cardio a week I needed the calories for my body to burn fat. I really don't think they have any simple cookie cutter formula to determine what plan people go on.

As for the 8 gr of protein and 30 some odd grams of carbs, the Slim-Fast bars have the same ratio. And I know those are a lot cheaper than even the Kashi or Luna bars.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:31 PM   #14  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

I am curious where the formula came from as well........I thought the plans were based only on your current weight and activity levels.
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:56 PM   #15  

Marzbe and Nicole this formula is also in the stuff I got from a friend. Of course it is all confusing to me. Too much fat clogging my little brain I guess. I don't have a clue about all of it I'm just struggling through and hoping to lean on you all for help if that is ok. You all have already helped me so much.
Thanks,
Dawn