Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-15-2007, 04:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Question Cold treats

Since the weather is getting progressively warmer, I'm researching treats that I can buy on the go that will fit my healthy lifestyle. I have some questions, so I hope you all can give me a hand

I can only find the nutritionals for a 10 oz Tim Horton's ice cap on their website, which I'm presuming has to be a small. According to CalorieKing, a 12oz ice cap (with milk instead of cream) is 180 calories. Do you know if a 12 oz is a medium?

Also according to CalorieKing, a small DQ icecream cone is 240 calories! Has anyone seen any differant information? I mean, I never eat the cone, so I'm sure that that shaves off calories, but that still seems like alot for just a small cone of icecream (even regular).

And last but not least, what are your favorite diet friendly iced drinks from places like Starbucks and Second Cup, and how many calories are they? I've never tried any of them, but every time I see someone with one, I'm tempted

TIA!

Last edited by just_a_dreamy1; 04-15-2007 at 04:04 PM. Reason: my spelling :|
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

If you really want ice cream, I think McDonald's soft serve are fairly low calorie. I usually order a ice cream cup, eat 1/4 or 1/2 of it (depending how I feel) and throw the rest away. It satisfies my craving.

Only thing cold at Starbucks I'd have is an iced latte with nonfat milk or their iced teas. Their iced teas are really good and aren't sweetened.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:47 PM   #3  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

Those freezie pops! Mr. Freezie (I think that's the name) is the most popular brand I think. My dollar store knock offs are only 15 calories each!

And as far as ice cream, sorbet all the way! I can't stand low-cal/splenda stuff. But lemon sorbet is naturally lower cal and tastes great.
SavingServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:04 PM   #4  

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info, guys!

Nelie - I'll definately try the latte from Starbucks.
According to McDonald's website, a small cone has 140 calories, so that would definately be ok. I like DQ alot better, though

Colleen - I agree - sorbet is delicous! That reminds me - alot of icecream places often offer sorbet or nonfat yogurt, as well.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:11 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

For me, I think there are WAY too many hidden calories in drinks and frozen treats from restaurants. I much prefer to have something at home where it's more measurable and controlable. There are lots of ice cream treats now by Healthy Choice and Weight Watchers and such (there's another brand that makes a lot of yummy ones that escapes me right now) that you can buy in your grocer's freezer--and I don't just mean actual tubs of ice cream. I'm referring to ice cream bars and sandwiches and other novelties, which are also much easier to control the portion sizes for since you aren't just scopping into a bowl where you could scoop too much. They're also much friendlier on the wallet since they're typically less than $1 per piece in a box and are even often on sale for even less. When Jeff and I go to Dairy Queen, we can spend $8 easily on 2 frozen snacks for us, and to me, that's just insane
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:21 PM   #6  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

When I get a craving for ice cream, which practically NEVER happens, I go to TCBY and order a small (it might be considered a junior... whatever is closest to 4 oz.) white chocolate mousse soft serve. It's been my favorite for years, and once every few months it isn't so bad. They have nutrition information available on their website. The soft serves range from 90 cals for 1/2 cup for the no sugar added nonfat flavors, to 140 cals for the 96% fat free yogurts (which doesn't seem all that low haha).
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:26 PM   #7  

Klondike Slim-a-Bear are super yummy and low-cal. you could either get the sandwiches or the fudge pop-my fave!!
Bean87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
For me, I think there are WAY too many hidden calories in drinks and frozen treats from restaurants. I much prefer to have something at home where it's more measurable and controlable. There are lots of ice cream treats now by Healthy Choice and Weight Watchers and such (there's another brand that makes a lot of yummy ones that escapes me right now) that you can buy in your grocer's freezer--and I don't just mean actual tubs of ice cream. I'm referring to ice cream bars and sandwiches and other novelties, which are also much easier to control the portion sizes for since you aren't just scopping into a bowl where you could scoop too much. They're also much friendlier on the wallet since they're typically less than $1 per piece in a box and are even often on sale for even less. When Jeff and I go to Dairy Queen, we can spend $8 easily on 2 frozen snacks for us, and to me, that's just insane
I wish that worked for me but one of my favorite binge foods used to be boxes of various ice cream treats. Good humor strawberry shortcake, ice cream sandwiches, chocolate covered vanilla bars, etc. I tried buying a box of low cal ice cream treats a while back and well it was gone in 2 days so no more for me That is why I like McDonald's soft serve minus the cone and only eat half at most. It is low cal (although ingredients aren't the greatest), costs 99 cents and means I don't keep ice cream in the house.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:51 PM   #9  

Jill - I definately agree that it's cheaper and easier to control calories at home. However, we're going on vacation for two weeks this summer, and my bf often suggests something cool when we're driving around.
Lindsey - thanks for the tip. I don't think we have TCBY in Alberta, though.
Bean - I'll check for that in the grocery. Thanks!
Nelie - I'd have to agree that in some cases, it's a better idea to just have something diet conscious out every once in awhile, instead of keeping it in the house. I only have a hard time with the scoop icecream, though - if it's in a one-serving package, I can stick to just one
Old 04-15-2007, 08:32 PM   #10  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I wish that worked for me but one of my favorite binge foods used to be boxes of various ice cream treats. Good humor strawberry shortcake, ice cream sandwiches, chocolate covered vanilla bars, etc. I tried buying a box of low cal ice cream treats a while back and well it was gone in 2 days so no more for me That is why I like McDonald's soft serve minus the cone and only eat half at most. It is low cal (although ingredients aren't the greatest), costs 99 cents and means I don't keep ice cream in the house.
You know, I'm not sure why it works for me with frozen treats. I mean, I can't keep the 100 calorie snack packs of cookies and such in the house because I will do the same thing--just eat a BUNCH of them instead of a single pack

dreamy, have you tried checking the restaurants' sites instead of things like CalorieKing? I know you mentioned the Tim Horton's site, but others have info as well. Starbucks has nutritional info for all of their drinks--I know they include whole milk, so you could at least use them as a guideline for the higher end of calories: http://www.starbucks.com/retail/nutrition_beverages.asp
Dairy Queen actually has a calculator where you can even remove toppings and such, like if you order a sundae but without nuts (yup, it's 240 calories for a small vanilla cone--and the actual cone itself is only 30 calories, so not much help )
http://www.dairyqueen.com/NCPublic/D...Calculator.htm
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:50 PM   #11  

Thumbs up

Jill,

Thanks for the Starbucks website! It definately has some helpful info
Old 04-16-2007, 12:06 AM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

My husband was craving ice cream the other day, and since we've been doing really well, we decided to go. I decided I would have a rootbeer float made with diet rootbeer. It was a local place, so I wasn't sure how to count it, but I'd had a similar float at A&W Rootbeer, so I looked that up and it was 180 calories. I think this place was a little more generous with the soft serve, so I added another 100 calories, just to be on the safe side.

I'm pretty sure that the ice cream cone part alone, has about 60 - 100 calories for most small to average size cones (60 for the flat bottom cone, and a little under 100 for a sugar cone). That's if my memory is correct, off the side of the boxes I saw in my mom's cupboard last summer.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:22 AM   #13  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

A standard flat-bottom cake cone is actually lower than that...one wafer-type cone is about 17-20 calories. Even the chocolate-dipped wafer cones you buy at the grocery store are only 30.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:37 AM   #14  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

I don't usually eat the wafer cake cones. My big big weakness though is a really good waffle cone, like you'd get from Marble Slab or Cold Stone Creamery. I could eat those plain. Probably comes from going to school in Belgium for 4 years... haha. Waffles of all types are well received (by my tummy, and hips, and everywhere else they tend to glue themselves to ).
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:38 PM   #15  
LLV

A junior Frosty from Wendy's is 155 calories

I love the vanilla Frosty's!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote