Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-16-2007, 10:11 AM   #1  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Am I weird?

I'm just wondering if anyone else has this issue. I keep feeling like I'm incredibly weird because I just *hate* the idea of going to the gym WITH someone. My housemate keeps trying to get me to go with her, and I keep finding excuses. I really *want* to go to the gym this morning; I even got up early and didn't hit the sleep button once! But I just heard her get up, and the ONLY reason she's ever up this early is to work out. I just don't feel that, for me, working out is a cooperative effort.

The problem is, now that she's up, my plans of going to the gym this morning are absolutely shot. Because if I try to leave while she's up, she'll see me and bug me to just take one car and go with her because it's easier, and then she'll want to introduce me to HER cardio/weight routine (I know this, because she's said it many times) even though I have a plan I've been wanting to try. If I sneak past her and go alone, she'll see me there, and be hurt that I avoided her. So instead of being at the gym by 7 to do my cardio/weight work, I'm going to end up going up and using the track at the gym, outdoors, instead of the treadmill (which I prefer), but not until around 9 when she's done, and I'll probably end up either doing the weights after that or doing a lighter version with the weights I have at home.

Argh. Is this silly of me to be so against working out *together* with someone? Am I the only one who sees my workouts as my pure, unadulterated, inviolable ME TIME? I kind of feel like it's "wimping out" to not go to the gym at all just because she's going...but that doesn't stop me from doing it.

Anyone else have this issue?
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 299/259/175

Height: 5'7"

I don't think it's wierd. I think everyone is different, and you just need to tell her that you have a plan that you wish to follow and while you really appreciate how much she wants to help, you feel the need to do this solo.

I don't mind working out with someone else, if it's something that I enjoy. However, for myself, I know that I get a better workout done if I on my own. I have this thing where I don't want other people to know where I am really at as far as fitness- so I'll either go do more than I should or I do less than normal.

Just try to explain to her that, for you, exercise is not social time. And then hope that she can understand and accept it Good luck!
Luxorbea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:49 AM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Sometimes when my boyfriend and I go to the gym together, he will find me and try to talk to me.

I hiss at him to get away from me, because I'm working out.

Also, people are kinda competitive. I have enough issues trying to hit my running distances or reps. So no, I don't think you're weird, but I'm a little worried about myself now...
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:48 AM   #4  
Goodbye Fat!

I don't think your weird at all! I have a standing workout date with a friend, but we my no means workout together. It is more of an accountablity thing for both of us to show up. We both do different things at different times because we are on different fitness levels. Sometimes we will run together ont he treadmill when we are doing intervals to motivate one another, but that is about it. I also understand about the "me" time at the gym, it is a time for me to relax and not have to worry about work or anything else.
dollypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 260/248.5/150

Height: 5'3"

I don't think it's weird at all. I don't go to the gym to be social. I see people all the time who aren't working out as hard as they normally would because they're deep in conversation with a friend.

I like to go alone, do my own thing in the manner and amount of time that I want to and not have to worry about anyone else.

You're not alone!!
BackPorchPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:38 PM   #6  
Life's tough Get a helmet

S/C/G: 195/195/145

Height: 5'3"

I agree and don't think you are weird at all. It's all a personal preference. For me, I enjoy working out alone. I love putting on my music and getting into a zone. It is "ME" time. I don't have to worry about talking to anybody and can relieve a lot of stress and worry by being by myself!
Spunkster5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:55 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I think if you want to work out alone you need to be up front about it. Avoiding her is only hurting you. Gyms are big, driving together wouldnt bother me IF it doesnt mess with my schedule, but do your own thing when you get there.

Quote:
The problem is, now that she's up, my plans of going to the gym this morning are absolutely shot.
This is the part you need to get over. Either go with her or dont, but dont let her WANTING to go with you derail YOUR workout.

So weird for wanting to workout alone - NO
Wimping out for not working out because she is up/will be there - yup
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #8  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Definitely not weird. I'm also very hesitant about working out with other people (although the only person I could truly work out with was my ex, because he sure wasn't a slacker ^^). In most cases, I've found out that being with friends led to more 'conversational time' than was truly useful, and I think I'm even more hesitant now -- I have less time than before to work out, so when I go to the gym or to the park to run, it'd better be a darn full workout and not some half-assed attempt interrupted by socializing.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:28 PM   #9  
Am I there yet?

S/C/G: 205/197/130

Height: 5'5"

Not weird - I totally prefer going to the gym alone. I used to work out with my DH and it would annoy me because he's so much more in shape than I am, and I felt like I couldn't keep up. Plus now that I go to my own gym, it definitely is ME time that I use to just focus on myself and how I'm feeling that day.

It would annoy me too if she was constantly trying to get me to do her routine.
2Fat4myJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:34 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

I love to workout alone 99% of the time, 1% I'll like the company and the competitiveness...

Tell you're roomate that if she insists on going to the gym with you that you need to be alone because you don't like talking (or whatever reason you can think of) in the gym and you want to concentrate on you workout...

DO your workout don't get derailed because of her...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:56 PM   #11  

Could you possibly compromise? Maybe walk a lap or two on the track to warm up with her or when you are done? I do this with a few friends, or I do my 20 minutes on the eliptical next to someone and then we move on to our own work outs? In any case, let her know you are sure her work out is great for her, but you prefer to go in a different direction. Save the gas money, car pool, but it's not junior high, you don't need a companion the whole time you are there.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:39 PM   #12  
Being lazy is easier!

S/C/G: 224/216/170

Height: 5' 7"

Nope, not weird at ALL! There is nothing wrong with using this time as ME TIME--I get lots of thinking done while working out. I invited my husband to join me one night at the gym (kind of as a nudge that he's getting large in the tummy) and we walked on the treadmill for a bit and I could see his reflection in the window (It was night) and even though he wasn't even looking at me, I felt that he was judging or critiquing me/my style/my efforts/etc. So then, of course, I felt (psychologically, not logically) that I had to 'show off', so we did weights. It was probably the most uncomfortable hour I've ever spent in the gym. I told him that if he wanted to come back with me, we would have to work out seperately.
But he's not ready to come back yet--he has to get over some issues that are addresse din a different thread--he feels that he will be stared at the whole time and he won't fit in. Ah, men. We have to love them!
amykay9377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I don't think it's weird either. I don't like to workout with someone because if you're doing weights, you have to wait on the person to do their set, then you do your set, then you wait on them to do their set, and so on and so on. And I feel like I should hurry thru my set so as to not make them wait so long. Weird I guess. But, I don't mind taking a class together with a friend. That actually is very cool. I take a zumba class with my boyfriends sister and soemtimes she comes into my ultra do all class. But I am so focused on what we do in class, that i barely even know she's there. But i hate working out on the weight machines or treadmill with other people. I just want to do my thing, go into my own little world and get the heck out of there!!!

So no, you are not weird. But i agree. You should probably just tell her that you have your own workout that seems to work for you, but maybe if it stops being effective, maybe you could come to her for some different excersizes.

Good luck!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote