Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-14-2007, 11:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 138/138/120

Unhappy does this sound normal to you?

hello there,
i don't know how to start, bear with me and try to make sense out of all of this. i just want to say that i'm about to give up on everything. i can't seem to stick to a diet, i start off the day right and then at the end of the day when i come back from school and all, i find myself binge eating. This has been happening constantly for the past 2-3 weeks, where i managed to put on 10 kg (22lbs) in less than 3 weeks! is it normal? what's going on here? pple gain that much in months not weeks! can you imagine fitting comfortably in a pair of jeans 3 weeks ago and now you need 2 sizes bigger? is my rate of weight gain normal? is there something wrong with me? because i sure think this is abnormal. i don't know i'm in a state where i'm like " %^&*( it!, you'll never be skinny again! so you might as well keep binge eating till you blow up and disappear!" Anyone who's been thru this before? or going thru this at the moment? i sure need to be pointed in the right direction ... any suggestions?
thank you all for ur time and consideration,
God Bless
doudou25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:44 AM   #2  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Hi

I'm going to advise you to see your doctor. 22 lbs in three weeks is a LOT to put on... and there might be something else going on...

Certainly depression (trust me, I KNOW!) might cause this kind of weight gain and overeating, and you should definitely have your thyroid checked out. At least it is a place to start, and you won't keep wondering 'what is WRONG with me?'

Let us know how you get on, hang in there, and check back in regularly for support here - this is a great place to be!!

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:45 AM   #3  

Hi doudou, I completely understand where you're coming from. I never really paid attention to how much weight I gained in a certain amount of time, but I can tell you that it happened very quickly. Every body reacts differently to food, especially if you go on binge and eat excessive amounts of high calorie food. Don't give up on yourself! You're the only one who can make it happen, it's so hard I know, but if you don't do it, nobody else is going to do it for you.

I'd strongly suggest you go to the "Maintenance Library", you'll find a lot of infomation about weight loss and the reality behind it all. It's a very eye opening forum, and contrary to what the title says, it's for everyone who's serious about losing weight and keeping it off for good. Trust me, go there!

Here's a big HUG for you,, don't let this get you down, put it behind and move forward, you can do it!
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:58 AM   #4  

thank you Heather and Friendlycat4u for your inputs.
Heather i am dealing with depression and that's why i binge eat very often. i went to see my doctor at school and tried to explain to him my situation and all he said is that i need to take control over my eating habits. I told him that i try all the time, every day yet i collapse at the end of the day when i feel the loneliest. (i am a graduate student far away from home, living by myself, no friends around). Anyway today i started atkins again since i feel that this is the only plan that help control my cravings if i do it right. ( i am a big bread addict, that's where my calories come from, bread and cheese).
thank you guys for your support, greatly appreciated. I just need to find the will and power in me again.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:54 PM   #5  
Heather 2.0

Honey - you need a new doctor!! I've been on a variety of anti-depressants over the years, and only this year (and I am talking about 15 years of switching back and forth and all over the place) have I been stabilized enough to actually focus on my weight in a positive way.

'Control your eating' when depressed is bulls@#$. I gained a LOT of weight at University and during my postgraduate work... and I can only speak for myself, but it would have been impossible for me to lose more than about 15 pounds, and I couldn't keep it off once I did...

Seriously, it's only my opinion, but you need to see someone else, someone who will take you seriously. I managed to gain over 100lbs in a similar situation to you, and now that I am 'stabilized', I wonder how I ever did.

Heather

PS - sorry - meant to add: Good for you for being here, for starting Atkins and for looking after yourself!!!
Old 04-14-2007, 01:20 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

doudou25, This is not normal. It's unbelievable that you could gain 22 pounds in 2-3 weeks, so it could be that you have an actual medical condition that is responsible. If not, then you are having serious psychological difficulties and need help. Go to your school's counseling center and talk to a professional counselor AND go see a doctor. Do you have friends at school you could talk to as well? I hope so--because we can only help so much here, being in cyberspace and all.

Please go get some face-to-face help! Let us know how you're doing!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:59 PM   #7  

couldn't agree more Heather, i think that it is impossible to take control over your life especially over your eating habits when depressed! and the forums here could help to a certain extent Jay, unfortunately with no friends around this is my only resource. As for the counseling part, i went and talked to a psychologist at school and she ended up referring me to someone else so i gave up on her since i specifically asked her to find someone within a walking distance from school yet she did the opposite. (i thought those pple are good listeners!)
The hardest thing to me when dieting is to keep myself busy and not think about food. Since i'm either at school or home all day (like today), i tend to start eating and eating to make time go faster. However, it's 3 pm and i'm still hanging in there , though not sure for how long. Yet i will do my best to control myself and just keep myself busy by studying since the finals are next week. And oh how hard it is to not eat junk food while studying for the exams, with all the stress and anxiety.
Anyways thank you guys for your support!
Old 04-14-2007, 05:10 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

doudou25, you can't just give up on counseling because one person made a mistake. Go back to her and tell her it won't work to go that far, that you can't do it, and who else could she recommend? Same with seeing a doctor. And there must be some people in your classes or graduate program who can help. It sounds like you could be isolating yourself further--don't do it! You aren't all alone in the world!

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 04-14-2007 at 06:45 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:13 PM   #9  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I'll stand with the others here, you definitely need a better physician. Telling you that was just bull**** in my opinion, it just... can't help at all. "Get control over your eating". Well, DUH! Sure, nobody at all can realize that on their own. If it was that easy, this term wouldn't even exist...

It may also indeed be a medical condition, given the gaining rate you mention. Hypothyroidism comes to mind first, however there might be other factors. (A shine in the dark, though: if it's a thyroid disorder, you can have hope in losing weight again after the medication has started kicking in. There are several people on the forum here, even, who are in this case, and managed to lose *and* maintain. )

Now, this may seem odd, but since you're a student as well, how exactly do you work? I mean, do you go home straight after classes to work on your papers? If it's the case, would it help, maybe, if you were to do that at the campus library, a library that is open late enough in the evening (like 10 pm), or in any similar place in which eating isn't really an option? (Unwrapping a Twix bar at the library here is enough to get you angry stares, so you do it once, but not twice.) Of course, I know this won't do anything for the depression, or against feeling alone, but... it might help against the binges in what seems to be a daily time of darkness. (I, too, tend to find it hard to not much during study time, but if I'm at the library, I know it's forbidden to buy food, and the whole 'ambiance' just tends to 'kill the eating mood', so to say. I don't know. It might work for you as well.)
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:56 PM   #10  

all right you guys here's the deal ... as soon as those 2 weeks are over (since i have finals and need every second of the day to study), i will go back to my counselor at school and ask her to refer me to some1 near by. As for studying at the library, i find it terrible since you are allowed to bring in beverages and food if you're not in the main computer room. And oh my God! you should see the amount and type of food pple bring along with them. Also in order for me to get the most out of studying i prefer to be at home where i'm sitting comfortably and all. Anyways thanks again for all your inputs. I know it's going to be a long and tough journey especially with the ongoing binge eating but i will try my best to not fall in that cycle again and whenever i'm about to binge eat i will ask myself the following "and then what?"... i know that food could keep me busy and i know that it could relieve the stress but that only happens momentarily. and to be honest my depression has a lot to do with the weight i put on in such a short period of time and i believe that as soon as those kilos are gone, i'll be more cheerful again ... So i just need to focus and dropping those kilos and hopefully, i will start feeling better physically and emotionally.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:14 PM   #11  
Heather 2.0

Okay - two quick suggestions:
1. Go see the counselor again ASAP, and ask to be referred elsewhere for TWO WEEKS FROM NOW - that way there isn't a waiting period when your exams end.

2. Walk. Take a walk and breathe deeply. Doesn't have to be far - just do it. Then come home and study again. You WILL feel better - I'd bet on it!

Godo luck with exams - keep checking in and letting us know how you are!!

Heather
Old 04-14-2007, 11:39 PM   #12  

I agree mostly with what everyone else has said. Good luck with your exams, but please make sure you book that doctor's appointment asap! Before you crack open a book!

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I think it might be possible, but it would depend on what a person was eating. Processed food is SO high in calories that it's easy to go over a reasonable daily limit just while eating 'normal' sized meals and a few snacks. If someone was binging as well, they could probably easily take in an extra 3500 calories, which would give a rapid weight gain like you experienced.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not discounting that there could be a medical reason for your rapid gain, but that you should also think about what you ate, add up the calories and see how much extra you took in and the weight gain that would result in.
senorita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:34 AM   #13  
Heather

S/C/G: 203/180/130

We all go through times when we feel like we are losing control of our eating. I, just a few days ago, I felt all my control slipping away, and I began to panic. I wrote to the ladies here and they talked me through it. Now, I feel like I am back in control again. Thank you, ladies, for helping me through it...

Anyway, do you record all the calories that you eat each day. If not, maybe you should start. Many of us use fitday.com, it's really good for keeping track of your calories and activites etc... I aim for 1500 calories a day, even though I sometimes go over or under, I do try to reach this goal each day...

Well, 22 lbs gained in 3 weeks does not sound normal. I do agree with the doctor when he told you that you need to control your eating habits. You need to learn to tell yourself "no" when you want that bag of chips or cookies or whatever you like to pig out on. You can control it. It may be hard, but you can.... It's up to you... If you like to snack often, maybe snack on lower calorie snacks. Or maybe eat meals that are more satisfying so that you won't feel the urge to snack. Stay active, becuase if you sit around alot, then we all tend to do alot of eaing out of boredom. Also, try drinking alot of water or tea, they tend to curb your appetite.

As for the rapid weight gain, Here are maybe a few things that may be the cause. If you are on birth control, especially the BC shots, you may be gaining weight rapidly becuase of that. Alot of women I know complain of rapid weight gain becuase of BC pills or shots. I have never been on them myself, but my friend was and she gained 25 lbs in like 2 months... when she stopped the shots, she lost the weight.

Also, have you had your thyroid checked? A malfunctioning thyroid can cause rapid weight gain. Maybe ask your doctor to run a complete blood workup on you, where they test all your levels at one time...

Also, do you have problems with water retention? Do you often feel swollen or extremely bloated? Especially at that TOM, we tend to put on sometimes 5 lbs or more due to water retention... After the TOM, we tend to release all of the water we retained...
cajungal328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:17 AM   #14  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Aw, that's too bad for the library. :| Every single one of them I've been to always had big signs "Food/Drinks not allowed", so I thought it was kind of the norm. Which is normal IMHO, but that's another matter. Well, sorry for the 'bad' piece of advice then! The walking bit mentioned above, on the other hand, sounds indeed like a good thing.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:10 AM   #15  

Default many thanks

thank you all for your help! thanks for taking time out to consider my situation. (i am not on birth control pills) however, i haven't had my period since January which is out of the norm for me since i get a regular cycle every month. I think it's all because of the stress from school. I will be seeing my doctor this wednesday with regard to that. I wont' go for the birth control pills to induce my period though. I heard they make you gain weight and that's the last thing i need now. A walk could do me good every once in a while yet so far i haven't been that lucky with the weather here in Boston!!! As for the binge eating i'll try to keep it under control as much as possible. thanks again and God Bless!