Old 04-13-2007, 11:52 PM   #1  
kamby

S/C/G: 212/212/160

Height: 5'0"

Default Low Calorie Diet?

ok so in the past ive tried the southbeach diet (which does cause you to lose weight its just a very hard diet for me to stick to)

So that didnt go well.

Now Im trying to do a Low Calorie diet
im age 22 weight 207 height 5'0"

Low calorie seems easy maybe too easy or maybe im not doing it right, Ive been counting my calories with a calorie tracker for the last few days but im only avg. about 1200 calories a day when I heard Im supposed to have more than that.

Ive been taking a diet pill (Green Tea Fat Burner) im also taking a Womens One a Day vitaman (weightsmart) which really helps curve my appitiete so I dont snack on anything between meals

I try to eat a big breakfast, a small lunch, and a big dinner
I tend to stay away from sweets now (however occasionaly will have one)
I also try to get some good exercize in, I will try to do some walking on my work breaks and everynight I try to walk the dog (if its not raining) around my block which is nearly a mile, then sometimes I use my workout bike for about 20 minutes

Ive lost about 5 lbs in a month, am I on the right track? Or could you give me some tips plz.
kamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:10 AM   #2  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

Congratulations on the 5lb loss!!

If you do want to change things up a little, I wouldnt be surprised if you'd drop even more by eating a few more calories..you could try 2 snacks, at around 80 cals each, like an apple and a plum.

You might think its a waste of cals if you aren't hungry, but 2 weeks ago was only my second week on plan..and I didn't have my snacks as I wasn't hungry, and actually gained a lb that week! AnD I worked out 3 times!
SO I was really disillusioned, but when I chatted with my weight loss coach he said I wasn't eating enough and to eat 5x/day..add the snacks no matter what..so I thought I would be up again, but I listened to him and lost 3 lbs. So there really may be a reason they say to eat 5 small meals a day..lol
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:28 AM   #3  
kamby

Thanks, I will eat some apples in between... or some sunflowers or something. However I was told the weight gain may be caused by muscle increase during workouts because muscle weighs 3x fat
Old 04-14-2007, 08:54 AM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamby View Post
Thanks, I will eat some apples in between... or some sunflowers or something. However I was told the weight gain may be caused by muscle increase during workouts because muscle weighs 3x fat
Yes, muscle weighs more than fat (well, a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat, but if you have a chunk of muscle and a chunk of fat the same size, the muscle will weigh more). But, unless you're taking steroids or working out with weight incredibly intensely and for long amounts of time, women's bodies are NOT built to increase muscle very quickly. I read one study that researched this a bit and found that a woman (well, they had more than 1 woman in the study, obviously, but I say "a woman" as a generalization) who works out properly with weights (alternating muscle groups on alternating days, doing enough reps and sets, doing the exercises properly, and increasing the weight appropriately as time goes on and fitness level increases--most women who work out do NOT do ALL of these things correctly so would get even lower results), would only gain about 5 pounds of muscle in a YEAR.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I think you are doing great! I have been on just about every diet out there and have come to the conclusion that counting calories is the best for me.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:39 PM   #6  
kamby

Can someone give me an example of what I should eat during the day to meet the amount of calories I should be meeting?
Old 04-17-2007, 05:34 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamby View Post
Can someone give me an example of what I should eat during the day to meet the amount of calories I should be meeting?
Well, no one can really tell you how many calories a day you should be eating. Based on the starting weight in your stats, some people could lose on nearly 2000 calories a day while others have to be much lower (maybe 1500). It depends on your body composition, your genetic makeup, your level of exercise, the business of your lifestyle, how/if dieting in the past may have affected your metabolism, etc...lots of factors.

Anyway, regardless of th enumber of calories you eat, I personally believe you should focus on whole foods. This means nix the processed junk. Go for fruits and veggies, beans and nuts, lean meats (fish, chicken, turkey breast, lean beef, etc.), lower fat dairy, and whole grains.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:39 PM   #8  

Before I went back on weight watchers I was losing weight on about 1600 calories a day. One thing you could do is vary your calories. For example maybe do 1200 one day, 1600 another and 1400 another. Also be sure you are getting some protein at each meal.
Judy
judyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:07 PM   #9  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulapie View Post
kamby - I just plugged your numbers into this site:

http://www.yeraze.com/scripts/calories.php

Wow! According to this thing, I should be eating about 2,000/day. I'm trying to keep it under 1400. To tell you the truth, I was kinda beating myself up for not staying close to 1200. However, some days I'm hungrier than others. Also, since Lent is over, boobalah is pushing beef every chance he gets. I had to tell him no more for a while last night. So, what do I do today? I forget my lunch and went for a bowl of chili at Chili's. They post their menu and all nutritional values online, so you can decide before you go.

Tomorrow night we are going to this steakhouse that we got into a fight about because boobalah miscalculated when Lent would start.

Thank you for this link. The numbers I got were very similar to the ones I got when I did the calculation from F Factor.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I agree with Jilly that you should concentrate on eating whole foods. Stay away from any foods that contain the following words in the list of ingredients: Enriched, partially hydrogenated (or hydrogenated) and high fructose. Make better choices (whole wheat rather than white bread, brown rice rather than white rice). Eat a fruit rather than drink its juice. Try to keep your fat intake low while keeping your protein and fiber intake high. Use FitDay to track your food and nutrients.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:26 PM   #11  
kamby

Thanks I will play with that a bit! Thanks everyone for the input so far
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulapie View Post
kamby - I just plugged your numbers into this site:

http://www.yeraze.com/scripts/calories.php

According to that, you use 1734.05 just being alive. Just with light exercise, you're burning 2384.31 per day. To lose two pounds a week, you need to have a 1000 calorie deficit per day. That would mean you need to eat 1384 calories per day. If you exercise more, you'll need to eat more. If you don't eat enough, you're body will resort to burning muscle = really really bad. Hope that helps!
Old 04-19-2007, 08:16 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

We have an entire section of the forum here devoted to calorie counters-please visit!
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:45 PM   #13  
kamby

Thanks everyone who replied and has been helping me out here, I decided to go ahead and try WeightWatchers because I also feel like I need some real life motovation to stay on trac and so far it dont look like such a bad plan!
Old 04-30-2007, 07:58 PM   #14  
Back to make it to goal!

Location: Seattle, but an Original CA girl! I miss the sunny days!

S/C/G: 204/see ticker/140-135?

Height: 5'3

Aphil- Could you please link that forum on here? Pretty please?

Thanks
Tinky009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:24 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Just click up top on the purple link for the weight loss community that is right under the cute little chicks-and it will take you to the general community page which outlines the entire forum and all of the groups and categories.

I could link the calorie counter area directly, but then you might miss out on some other areas that may be of interest to you!
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote