Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 07:57 PM   #1  

Default anybody working on the deep/emotional issues behind fat?

Hey guys, I'm at a place where I KNOW that my fat is not because of any diet. And no diet is going to solve it. Why? Because I don't stick to diets. Because diets don't address what's really going on. The fact that I don't love myself enough. The fact that I don't know how to set limits (and get scared as **** when I try). The fact that I don't know how to take care of myself. The fact that dealing with emotions is scary and hard for me.

If you feel even remotely similar, lets work through our issues together. I'm thinking of starting up a group. I hope that some people be interested, I really think it could be wonderful...

(I posted this in the diet buddy's forum too... i hope that's okay?)
Old 02-24-2002, 04:41 PM   #2  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Default the non-diet approach

Hi Wanderlusty!

There is such a thread going. It started out as "The Non-diet approach." You can find the older ones if you search for it by thread. IMHO, there's a lot of value to going back and doing the exercises (taken from a great series of non-diet books by Geneen Roth - check them out if you get a chance).

I agree with you 100% that dieting is not going to solve this thing for us. But by seeking out the reasons why we have this dependency on overeating and dealing with them, we shall overcome!

If you want to start a separate thread to deal with these issues, I would be interested in that, too.

Good luck!
babette
Old 02-25-2002, 07:47 PM   #3  

Default Hi Wanderlusty

I've been reading LIFE STRATEGIES by Phi McGraw. This book literally peels away at our psychy and that's when the fun starts.
This book is like no other book I've read and if you've watched Dr Phil on Oprah then you know he doesn't pull any punches. He gives it to you straight. And that is what I need. Straight talk !
If anybody wants to join me in this journey he has assignments to do as well. Eyeopeners they are.

Have a great evening.
Kathy

over350/over350/155
Old 02-26-2002, 09:52 AM   #4  

babette, yep I've read at least one book by Geneen Roth, although I'm too lazy to go find the title

kat, I answered you in my other thread
Old 02-28-2002, 09:44 AM   #5  

Hello,

I can relate to what you are saying. I feel so depressed, and overcome by my weight that I let it run my life most of the time. If I have a good day or not depends on how I did with my eating, if I am a good wife and mother also depends on how I am doing with my "diet".

It's very frustrating, and I am really sick of beating my self up over this. I really have some issues to break threw. I know it's not normal to feel like I don't matter just because I am overweight.

Kat, I would like to hear more about the assignments that you mentioned also.

Thanks for listening.

feffyy

235/207/128
Old 03-02-2002, 09:59 AM   #6  

Default reading phil mcgraw, too

I am doing the life strategies book, too. It is helpful, and very eye opening as well. I haven't looked at the book in quite some time, due to other things going on in my life. BUT priority here to get back to it again. I am dealing with another death in my family, #6 in a year and a half.... so dealing with death is becoming too familiar to me. MY sister of 42 just died from brain anuerysms. I need to get my weight, blood pressure, etc. under control. I don't want to die like that. so maybe we can help each other here. kurly
Closed Thread