General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 10:52 PM   #1  
Losin' it forever!

Default Children's books

I honestly think I am losing my mind...but in a good way!

I have already set as one of my goals once I reach a healthy weight is to learn to horseback ride. I have been infatuated with horses since I was a kid and yesterday my kids and I rented from the library and watched "My Friend Flicka". I know I read this book as a child, so after the movie I was off to eBay to place a bid on a copy of it. It got me to thinking about what my favorite childhood books were. What I remember:

The Black Stallion Series
The Trixie Belden Mysteries
The Bobbsey Twins series
Charlotte's Web
Little Women and Little Men
The Laura Ingalls Wilder series

How about the rest of you? Were any of you big readers as kids and if so, what did you read?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:18 PM   #2  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Growing up I read everything by Enid Blyton especially The Famous Five and Mallory Towers.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:37 PM   #3  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Some books I remember were those by Beverly Cleary like Ramona the Pest, Ramona the Brave, Henry and Beezus... or even the "Betsy" book series by Carolyn Haywood.

I was into the Black Stallion series as well.

Remember the Boxcar Children?

The movie Flicka is on my Netflix queue, you've got me interested now.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:30 AM   #4  
Working to be an after!

S/C/G: 269/151.6/149

Height: 5'2''

I was also infatuated with horses growing up. So my favorites were The Black Stallion series, The Saddle Club series, and The Thoroughbred series. I think I read the entire series of each. I also read many of The Babysitter's Club.

There were also four books by Frances Miller, the first one is the Truth Trap. I feel in love with the story and her way of writing. So like three years ago I searched all over to find all four of them. I was able to find three of them, but not the first one. So I stole it from the library. I told them that I had lost it, and paid them for it. I had to complete the set!

And I still read anything written by Lurlene McDaniel. I started reading her stories when I was 13 y.o. and I still enjoy them.

I was a huge reader as a child. I don't read as much anymore, but I still enjoy it.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:47 AM   #5  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I have always been a voracious reader, but two of my faves as a child were The Great Brain books and The Borrower books. I read and re-read.

Also enjoyed The Boxcar Mysteries and Encyclopedia Brown books.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 268/204/150

Height: 5'5

I read all of the time (still do)...i think my favorite book was Are you there God..It's me Margaret. I think I should get a copy and reread it.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 347/332/150

Height: 5ft 7in

i was big on the Sweet Valley series, im still trying to collect them all. umm i also loved lurlene mcdaniel.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:44 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Believe it or not "Bridge to Terebithia" was my all-time favorite. My daughter absolutely did NOT believe me when I told her that....because the movie just came out she is convinced it's new. hahaha I had to get out my old, dog-earred, ratty copy and prove it to her...and she confiscated it!

I also loved the Chronicles of Narnia (which have evolved into a love for all things written by Lewis), Judy Blume's books (Tiger Eyes especially), Where the Red Fern Grows, and as a younger child I loved the Pippi Longstocking books.

After typing that list I'm going to have to revisit all-time favorite and stick Where the Red Fern Grows in that slot. I've probably loved that more and longer than any other book.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:00 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 347/332/150

Height: 5ft 7in

judy blume!! i knew i was missing someone...i was amazed to learn when i was older than most of her books are banned in schools, i used to read her books all the time, and never really saw anything terrible, just life. lol. sure they tortured that poor girl in blubber, but that was life for some of us, she was someone i could understand. i think she holds the record for most books banned, but im not quite sure.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:15 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Anne of Green Gables That was an awesome series growing up.

Although when I was preteen/teen, I started moving toward books not aimed at young teens. I would read lots of Stephen King and V.C. Andrews. Although I guess V.C. Andrews is aimed at younger readers because I tried to read one of her books again when I was in college and I thought it was dribble. I don't know why I loved it when I was 13 and 14 though
Old 04-13-2007, 11:23 AM   #11  
Losin' it forever!

Yes! I forgot about Anne of Green Gables! I loved that series. I thought of another story I loved too: "The Secret Garden". I saw the musical of that as well and loved it

I also remember reading the "Sweet Valley High" books as a young teen and remember the other book about the overweight girl, "The Cat Ate My Gymsuit"? Was that Judy Blume too?
Old 04-13-2007, 07:09 PM   #12  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeGirl View Post
I also remember reading the "Sweet Valley High" books as a young teen and remember the other book about the overweight girl, "The Cat Ate My Gymsuit"? Was that Judy Blume too?
The Cat Ate My Gymsuit was Paula Danziger. I think I read that one but I don't quite remember it.

Loved Judy Blume as a kid too... Deenie, Blubber and most other titles I could find, even the book Summer Sisters as an adult. My son likes the Fudge series: Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and Super Fudge.

I liked Roald Dahl as well: James and the Giant Peach and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Keep those titles coming, this is a fun trip down memory lane.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:34 PM   #13  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

I read all the time when I was younger! Let's see, I was really into all of the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary, the Fudge series, Roald Dahl, Judy Blume (I distinctly remember Deenie for some reason), the Little House series, The Berenstain Bears!!!!, Amelia Bedelia series (I'm going WAY back on memory lane I guess... like to when I was 6 haha), The Magic School Bus, Mrs. Frisby and the rats of Nimh, The Stinky Cheese Man, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, The Little Prince, Eric Carle's books, I could go on and on...
Old 04-13-2007, 10:06 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Nancy Drew!! I think I checked out every single one in the series when I was in 4th grade! Now they are coming out with a "newer" series, I don't know if they are new stories or if they just updated the jackets........been meaning to check one out to see and to find out if my daughter would be interested in reading them.
I never read The Little House series as a kid, I did love and watch the show, but last spring I bought the series and we've been reading them together. We even made a special trip to DeSmet last summer to see the homestead. The kids had a blast!!
Old 04-14-2007, 03:08 AM   #15  
Pending Email Confirmation

didn't think anybody else knew of the Trixie Belden books. They were my dads and he read them to me when i was a kid, it's a nice memory I have.

I read all the Ramona books, the Judy Blume books, I had over 100 Baby Sitters Club books though! They were my favorite. When I got a little older, like middle school I devoured everything that Robert Cormier wrote. Also there was a teen horror writer I enjoyed Christopher Pike. Now that I think back on it, those were really intended toward older teens, not a tween.
Bridge to Terebithia was one of my favorites too.
Closed Thread