Old 04-12-2007, 12:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/252/175

Default Wanting to start ~ but SO confused ~

I'm so tired of being overweight, and tired of losing 30 lbs ... gaining 35 lbs ... losing / gaining ... yo yo! Really really tired of it. Once again, I'm going to start the challenge!

So this morning I decided to do a search of online weight loss programs. Now I am totally confused.

I have done Weight Watchers in the past, but just got tired of it.

The ones I seriously considered this morning are:

* Bob Greene's The Best Life Diet

* Anne Collins online diet

* Jillian Michaels

* Suzanne Somers

* Sugar Busters

Now that's enough to confuse me for sure!!!

Any suggestions?

Thanks ~ Anne
changing-anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:40 PM   #2  
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

Anne I did pretty much all of those for years and gained and lost close to 200 pounds. Same as you -- lose 30 find 40 etc etc.

Last year I dug in my heels and started to watch my portions, count my calories, be completely honest with myself -- got rid of the junk and moved -- really moved I am now taking minimum 3 exercise classes a week.

It really is a simple solution -- eat less + exercise more = weight loss -- problem is its slow and steady -- results aren't immediate but they are lasting. This time last year when I started I was 267 pounds -- I am 233 today with a goal to lose another 30 this year and the last 30 next year -- I just do NOT want to put any of this weight back on.

I hope this helps -- main thing is to do what you can for the rest of your life -- this isn't a diet its a lifestyle.

Joanne
Jayjay55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:58 PM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Think about this as a permanent change to your eating habits. If you want to maintain your weight loss, you can't just temporarily change the way you eat and then go back and the way you were eating before after you've lost weight. You have to permanently change the way you eat. Once you get to maintenance, you probably won't have to be as strict about it as you are while you are losing weight, but it will still be your overriding strategy towards eating.

So as you look at each of those programs, ask yourself if you can continue to eat like that, more or less, for the rest of your life. If you don't think you can, then that program probably isn't the one for you.

I do not follow any one particular program. I do a combination of calorie counting, whole foods, and volumetrics (and I exercise like a mad woman).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:36 PM   #4  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

These ladies are offering you very good advice. It's a lifestyle change to eat healthy and exercise. It must continue AFTER you lose the weight or you will once again regain it all plus interest.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:45 PM   #5  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Another one here for the "change the lifestyle" idea. I also just cut the junk, no sugar,no flour, eat whole foods and eat smaller more frequent meals (every 2-3 hours). I never feel hungry or deprived and expect to eat this way forever with no struggle.

With that said, I do not give up "special" occasions. But in the 10 months i've done this there have only been 2 of those. New Years Eve I had champagne and ice cream and one special date I had with steak, wine and a yummy chocolate tort! I just enjoyed it and went on like it never happened. That's how I do this for life.
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:50 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Just to echo, it really isn't about some temporary "diet". It absolutely must be looked at as a lifestyle change. Something that you will forever and ever. Diets have an end (when you reach your goal), When you get to that end, then what. You must, must make it a plan you can live with forever. That is the key to taking it off and then KEEPING it off.

I myself count calories, eating mostly lean protein and tons of veggies. From all those plans you mentioned you might want to pick and choose different aspects which appeal to you and make up your own "diet". Again one that you can live with forever.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/252/175

Oh thank you all so much! I really and sincerely mean it!!! I do appreciate each one of you and your taking the time to reply. What excellent advice. Thank you so much. My challenge now is to maintain the motivation I feel today! ~
changing-anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

See the trick is to come to 3FC everyday and just gather up the motivation
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:20 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hello!!!

I also agree that permanent lifestyle changes are the way to go!

A lot of the plans will make you lose weight, but you have to be able to love with them. Honestly, out of the plans that you mentioned, the only one that would be liveable for ME would be Weight Watchers-because in a nutshell, it is a lower calorie diet-the same as calorie counting, which is what I do now-simple eating less and exercise.

I could never live permanently on Atkins-where food groups are cut out completely or extremely limited, or Somersizing, where you have to eat foods in certain combinations only. I just couldn't do it, so I might lose weight, ut eventually I would gain it back because I would end up going off the plan.

For ifestyle changes, use exercise for instance-even if you only start with 10 minutes a day, walking around the block. After it becomes a habit in your life, then slowly increase it to 15 or 20 minutes. Then 30. Slowly change up the routine if you wish-take a class, or add a yoga or strength dvd-anything YOU like to do. (My biggest motto is the best exercise is the exercise that YOU will do!)

Start making small changes in your lifestyle-little by little, so that it becomes part of your life, not part of your "diet".

And visit 3FC for friends who understand, and are here to support each other!
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Go to 3FC webpage, click on diets,.there you will find reviews of various diets. I personally count calories.I have been on pretty near every diet available.I just refuse to pay to diet(been there, done that)I plan my meals ahead and keep a food diary.That only takes a few minutes a day.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote