Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/205/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Low sodium cottage cheese

Where do you buy this? I have not been able to find it anywhere. Is it only in specialty stores? Because I do not have access to an of the chains of health food places..Jsut regular grocery stores..
silverose1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:55 AM   #2  
it's always something

I've never seen any cottage cheese labeled as low sodium. I actually didn't realize how high in sodium it was until I read the label last month. I was shocked!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:22 PM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I found it at a regular big grocery store here, not a speciality store. It was by one of the usual brands (Friendship, I think). I took 2 bites and threw the rest in the trash--it tasted like flavorless mud, but maybe that's just me
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/132-Hit Goal on 12/21/06

Hi, my answer to the high sodium content in cottage cheese is to rinse it. I dump the whole container into a strainer and run cold water through it until the water runs clear. Rinse the container. After the water has drained out, put the cottage cheese back into the container.

I prefer my cottage cheese this way and won't even it it out of the container without the "rinse cycle" first.

I put a little artificial sweetner on it and/or berries to jazz it up a bit
chrissyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

chrissy--I can't help but say...eeewww! For me, the ickiest part about cottage cheese is the texture of the curds, and rinsing it would just rinse away all the creamy non-curd part, wouldn't it?

Hopefully, though, this will be a good solution for some folks who do like the curd texture (just not me)
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:51 PM   #6  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

I rinse my canned veggies by I hadn't heard of doing cottage cheese this way! I was definitely unaware that it was high in sodium! Learn something new every day - actually, on this site, I learn many new things in one day! Thanks ladies!
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:33 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

Jill, I'm with you on the sort of rubbery texture of cottage cheese! I can only imagine how it would be rinsed - shudder. What I do is to stir in a spoonful of yogurt. It really seems to help. (Of course, it really helps if it's my DH's full-fat yogurt which I've resorted to because I'm out of ff ) I've also blended it with my stick blender and poured it over fruit rather than mixing the two together. That helps too. Most days though, I just suck it up and eat it. Don't get me wrong, I like the flavor fine, it's the texture. I have found that I like my store's own brand of lf the best.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:22 PM   #8  
Mel

The first time I tried Friendship cottage cheese, that was my reaction, too. But the taste kind of grew on me. I was really annoyed when the only store that stocked it locally discontinued carrying it. At this point, I eat so little salt that the sodium in cottage cheese really doesn't make a big difference to me.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:23 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 205/205/135

Height: 5'4"

I amy try the rinsing thing. I actually love cottage cheese. I grew up eating low fat cottage cheese as a snack..I never would have even thought of it as healthy!
silverose1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:05 AM   #10  

safeway/vons sells the low sodium cottage cheese (lucerne brand), at least here in SoCal. Takes some getting used to (try lemon juice in it to replace the salt) but now I make a special trip to get mine. The regular stuff tastes disgustingly salty now and you can use the CC in 'sweet' recipes without it ending up too salty.
featherz is offline   Reply With Quote