Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-11-2007, 09:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/132-Hit Goal on 12/21/06

Default Trigger Foods

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some books on trigger foods. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
chrissyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #2  
Lifetime Fat Fighter

S/C/G: 237/235/150

Height: 5'2"

I have no suggestions for books.

I have a list of foods that I cannot control myself around. When I find a new one I add to the list. I know and my husband knows that those foods are not allowed in the house at all. I have to treat them as a drug that I've been addicted to. That is the only way I can keep from eating them. It's helped me because I realize that in order to be healthier I have to have that list.

I hope you can find some books that help.
nicolbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

I can't recommend any books specifically on that topic, but I think that in a nutshell, the best advice is to keep them out of your house. There may come a day when you can handle them better, at least in certain situations (or maybe not), but if you know they trigger you now, stay away from them.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

here's a dumb question...why are you looking for a book about trigger foods?? I don't really have any trigger foods, i just like them all...except veggies!!! lol. which i am trying to find a way to fit more of them into my lifestyle. something other than canned corn and canned sweet peas which is what my kids like the best!!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:16 PM   #5  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 167/167/125

Height: 5'0

try reading sugar blues!
HotDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:27 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I agree with HotDoc. Sugar Blues is a great book--a classic. Most trigger foods involve carbs, I think, although there are exceptions.

Ice cream is a trigger food for me, and it's the worst combination--sugar plus fats. But I think it's the sugar that gets me.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #7  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Chris!

One of my diet "bibles" is The Thin Commandments by Dr. Stephen Gullo. He talks extensively about triggers in his book. Check out the handy index in the back of his book!

It was in reading his book several years ago that I first heard of the word "trigger" in relation to foods that make us go out of control. The whole idea was very new to me and has since helped me realize that I just have to STAY AWAY from certain foods and that I can't even have one bite of them without abusing them! My triggers, by the way, are chocolate, cheese, chips, Chalupas, breads/rolls with butter, and cookie dough!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:55 PM   #8  
Beach Babe Wannabe

S/C/G: 257/226/125

Height: 5' 4" - 51 years old

I would think that "trigger foods" would be so individual - as each person is an individual.. I think the most important thing to find out is what your's are..
I don't know that a book could help you with that?

Mine are:
cereals of ANY kind, chocolate cake (I want the whole cake, but a cheesecake I can have one small slice), salty chips (fritos anyone!), pecans, and sweet cocktails (I can have just one regular martini, but I want THREE cosmos..)
Runundefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/132-Hit Goal on 12/21/06

Thanks for your suggestions everyone

lumifan4ever-To answer your question as to why I am looking for a "trigger book" - I am finding that I can be SO on plan and in control 99% of the time and then I hit a day where I feel so out of control and I am realizing that it has to be food-related, so I am on a quest to learn all about trigger foods and hopefully figure out what mine are
chrissyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #10  
Lifetime Fat Fighter

S/C/G: 237/235/150

Height: 5'2"

Write down what you eat each day (if you aren't already). Then when you do feel like you are getting out of control, look at what you've eaten that day. Try to find the point at which you turned and started eating more. Do this a few times and you will find your trigger foods.

I have been working on my list of foods for years. It started with ice cream sandwiches. I could never eat less than a whole box of them. Then when I stopped eating those it slowly moved to peanut butter rice krispie treats. I used to make them and end up eating them all within 24 hours. I had to add those to the list. I've also had to add homemade baked goods (breads, cookies, etc.), any kind of ice cream, and chocolate (especially holiday candy). I also have a hard time controlling granola, although it's nearly not as bad as other trigger foods, but since it's usually higher in calories I just try not to have it in the house in the first place. Mine are mostly sugar based so I know I have to be cautious with anything that has sugar in it.

I definitely think it's individual and we are all gonna have different lists. I think it'll take time to find out what yours are. All you can do is pay attention and when you find one, don't allow it back in the house.
nicolbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:32 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

oh...thanks crissyk...i've never really thought of trigger foods. i don't know if I have any. I do know that every so often i have a craving for something. some days it may be something sweet, other days it may be something salty...like chips. I find I over eat most when I get home and am cooking dinner...or looking for something to cook and I start snacking. that is my "trigger" point. I don't have one food that i gorge on...but i will gorge on whatever i can find if i am hungry and don't have a clue what to have for dinner. and again...when i am hungry and start looking around the house for something to eat, it is usually either sweet or salty. Thank goodness i don't keep much of either in the house.

Good luck in figureing out what your trigger foods are!!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote