Old 04-10-2007, 09:24 PM   #1  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

Default Salad dressing!

Okay...I love salad and I am very aware of the danger of HFCS and that it is basically in every salad dressing on the market shelf. I do not like the taste of vinegar or oil on my salad (maybe this is mostly phsychological, I don't know). I also cannot tolerate a "dry" salad. So....in light of the above, just what CAN I put on my salad? I do use low-fat/fat-free dressings when eating out and I always dip my fork in the dressing instead of putting it all on my salad. I have found this reduces my intake a LOT!

I'm trying to follow a wholefoods plan of eating, by the way.

Anyone have suggestions to remedy the above? Thanks again! You people are fabulous supporters, and I really appreciate it!!
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:31 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I use various kinds of salsa. Delicious and low calorie.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:38 PM   #3  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Oh, now that's a good idea. I love salsa. Thanks!!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:45 PM   #4  

Height: 5.6

I use Briannas Homestyle dressings - they are really really yummy - - and all natural ingredients and lots of different flavors. No HFCS on my veggies.
Penney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:47 PM   #5  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penney View Post
I use Briannas Homestyle dressings - they are really really yummy - - and all natural ingredients and lots of different flavors. No HFCS on my veggies.
Really!? Where do you buy these? I have never seen this brand. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:48 PM   #6  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I make my own - they're not low-fat but they're good fat:

Poppy Seed Dressing (makes 1 cup)
1/4 cup sugar (you can use splenda or honey if you prefer)
A couple of slices of onion
1 teaspoon dry mustard
½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
½ cup cider vinegar

Buzz through the blender. Serve of lettuce, sliced strawberries and wafer-thin onion slices.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:52 PM   #7  

I have purchased them at my grocery store - Bloom, they are actually have a really good healthy selection.

I looked on my bottle - they web site is: briannasSaladDressing.com

Jessica- your dressing sounds good.... I have never tried Poppy Seed Dressing before... I think I am going to have give it a shot.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:54 PM   #8  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penney View Post
I have purchased them at my grocery store - Bloom, they are actually have a really good healthy selection.

I looked on my bottle - they web site is: briannasSaladDressing.com

Jessica- your dressing sounds good.... I have never tried Poppy Seed Dressing before... I think I am going to have give it a shot.
THANKS! I will have to look for them in our stores (no Bloom here). If not, at least you gave the web site! Thanks so much!

And, Jessica, I too will have to try your dressing. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:55 PM   #9  
Starting over 3/24/2017

I stand corrected! When I went to the web site I immediately recognized the bottles. However, I have looked at them before and thought I did see HFCS in them. Do you buy a particular flavor that maybe doesn't have HFCS or am I just losing it and think that I saw this?
Old 04-10-2007, 10:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Ritzy - The Newman's Own Light line are in my opinion the best (healthy and tasty) that you can buy. I don't always have time to make homemade, but I do occassionally. The rest of the time I use Newman's Own which have NO HFCS. Check out a bottle - the ingredients are good and wholesome. My favorite one happens to be the lowest in calories (45 for 2 tablespoons). It's the light balsamic vinigreitte (sp). When I have a huge salad for me meal, like I did for dinner tonight, I use 2 servings (4 T = 1/4 c.). It makes even a HUGE salad plenty wet. I drizzle a little balsamic vinegar over too. I do not like a dry salad. The other flavors are really good too - a bit higher in calorie.

You can buy them most anywhere and Newman's products donate a portion of sales to charities. You can't go wrong!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:13 PM   #11  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking2lose View Post
Ritzy - The Newman's Own Light line are in my opinion the best (healthy and tasty) that you can buy. I don't always have time to make homemade, but I do occassionally. The rest of the time I use Newman's Own which have NO HFCS. Check out a bottle - the ingredients are good and wholesome. My favorite one happens to be the lowest in calories (45 for 2 tablespoons). It's the light balsamic vinigreitte (sp). When I have a huge salad for me meal, like I did for dinner tonight, I use 2 servings (4 T = 1/4 c.). It makes even a HUGE salad plenty wet. I drizzle a little balsamic vinegar over too. I do not like a dry salad. The other flavors are really good too - a bit higher in calorie.

You can buy them most anywhere and Newman's products donate a portion of sales to charities. You can't go wrong!

Okay...I'm convinced - I'm officially "losing it." I have looked at Newman's too and thought there was HFCS. I am making a special trip to the store just to read salad dressing labels!! Thanks so much for sharing this!! I thought my salads were hopeless. I am finding out they aren't!!
Old 04-10-2007, 10:16 PM   #12  
Living and Learning

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

Hi there,
I thought I would throw my two cents in

Hellmann's makes Salad Spritzers
You spray on your salad for good coverage but waaaaaay less calories. In fact, they are only 15 calories per 10 sprays (plenty for a dinner salad). If you follow WW that is 0 points.
They come in different flavors:
~Raspberry Breeze
~Asian Mist
~Balsamic Breeze
~Red Wine Mist
~Tangy Italian
I believe there are a few more, I just can't think of the names of them.
All I can say is YUM! And sooo low in calories it's not even funny :P

Just thought I'd share. I love them! Don't know what I would do without them!

Cheers,
Lisa
gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:21 PM   #13  

I am looking at my bottle it says sugar - but it is not HFCS. There are only natural ingredients in these dressings....

I have used the salad spritzers as well.... those are good! If I remember correctly I liked the Raspberry Breeze.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:25 PM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

In Oklahoma, Hellman's probably doesn't exist but the brand would be Best Foods I believe.

I do buy Newman's Own light for DH because they have the best ingredients and calories for dressings that I saw.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:40 PM   #15  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I use a SBD Kraft Ranch dressing occasionally that has 70 calories 2 T. with no HFCS (not whole foods, but I still use it occasionally for something different). Also, I make my own "honey" mustard dressing with mustard, splenda, light mayo, and paprika. I just tried a Newman's Own Lighten Up Sesame Ginger dressing over the weekend that was very good with no HFCS.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote