Old 04-10-2007, 03:49 PM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Talking Lentil Cookies

I know...this sounds weird! (or at least a little like the black bean brownies... ) I love lentils, though, and when you look at all the other yummy stuff that's going in these, I think they just might be delicious, full of fiber, and added protein because of the lentils! Yum!

Enjoy!

Quote:
Lentil Cookies
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2006

Ingredients:
9 1/2 ounces whole-wheat pastry flour, approximately 2 cups*
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
8 ounces sugar, approximately 1 cup (substitute Splenda or other sugar sub)
6 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature, approximately 3/4 cup (substitute Smart Balance or other healthy fat)
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups lentil puree, recipe follows
3 1/2 ounces rolled oats, approximately 1 cup
4 ounces dried fruit, approximately 1 cup (look at P2 list for ideas...maybe apricots? Make sure they are UNSWEETENED!!!)
2 1/4 ounces unsweetened dried shredded coconut, approximately 1 cup

*Cook's Note: If desired, a quarter of the whole-wheat flour can be substituted with lentil flour for a denser, stronger flavored cookie

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and allspice.

In the bowl of a stand-mixer with a whisk attachment, cream together the sugar and butter on medium speed. Add the egg and mix until just incorporated. Add the vanilla and lentil puree and mix until combined. Add the flour mixture and blend on low speed until just combined. Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in the oats, dried fruit and coconut.

Form the dough into balls about 2 teaspoons in size and place on a baking sheet with parchment paper, leaving about 1-inch of room in between. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until an internal temperature of 195 degrees F is reached on an instant-read thermometer.

Lentil Puree:
4 ounces lentils, approximately 2/3 cup, picked over and rinsed
2 cups water

In a small pot over medium heat, combine the lentils and the water. Bring to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Remove from the heat and puree. If using immediately, let cool. The puree may be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days or in the freezer for 2 to 3 months.
Yield: 1 1/2 cups lentil puree
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Ooh that sounds good!! thank you!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I made these today, and I'm not thrilled with the results. They're pretty dry, and not worth the all the trouble of making the puree and searching for unsweetened coconut. If you make them, after rolling them into balls you might want to flatten them, as they don't spread out while they're baking. They're not awful though, they taste pretty much like an oatmeal cookie.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:14 PM   #4  

Default Tried these?

Has anyone given these a try? What did you think?
karma7382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:36 PM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Thanks for the tips, Cottage! I tried another recipe from this same program (lentil salad) and it was TERRIFIC!!! YUMM I wonder if we could add something to make it less dry? Unsweetened applesauce, maybe?
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote