Old 09-26-2006, 01:15 PM   #1  
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Default Stuffed Chicken Breasts - 2 ways

This will be my first of many recipes that I will be trying in Phase 1 and posting for everyone. They all come from The South Beach Diet: Quick & Easy Cookbook and can all be made in 30 minutes or less. Some of them I have modified to fit my personal taste but I will provide both for your convience. I'll be guinea pigging these recipes with my fiance Daniel who is the pickiest eater ever and is not on the SB diet. Each recipe can get up to 5 for yumminess. Enjoy!
__________________________________________________ _________________

Original Recipe: Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Spinach & Goat Cheese
My Version: Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Spinach & Mozzarella
Family Rating:
Nutrition At A Glance: 280 calories, 10 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 42 g protein, 3 g carbohydrate, 1 g dietary fiber, 390 mg sodium
Servings: 4
Ingredients:
  • 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 (1/2-pound) bunch spinach, tough stems removed
  • 4 (6 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 4 ounces low-fat/low moisture mozzarella cheese or goat cheese
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Wooden toothpicks
Instructions:
  • Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
  • Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
  • Stir in spinach and cook, stirring constantly, until spinach is wilted and liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes.
  • Season well with salt and pepper and transfer to a plate. Wipe skillet dry with paper towels. (Be careful not to burn yourself!)
  • Beginning at the thickest end of 1 chicken breast, carefully insert a sharp knife into the center and cut a pocket as evenly as possible, leaving a 1 inch border on three sides. Repeat with remaining breasts.
  • Open each pocket and sprinkle with salt and pepper, the fill evenly with mozzarella (or goat cheese) and spinach.
  • Seal each with 2 toothpicks and season outside with salt and pepper.
  • Heat the remaining oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning once, until well browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.
  • Transfer the chicken breasts into a baking dish then place in the oven and bake until the juices run clear, about 8 minutes. Serve hot.

* Cooking times may vary due to differences in cookware and oven temperatures.

This recipe is so versitle so I decided to post it first. You can replace the spinach and cheeses with anything really. Just be sure that you are using Phase 1 allowed veggies and cheeses and you should be fine. My first try at this I used olives and mozzarella and it was delish!
chellez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:39 PM   #2  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

do you think you could do this as a rollatini?
KO is offline   Reply With Quote