Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-10-2007, 09:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Question Anyone else on Loratadine (claritin, clarinex or alavert?)

Is anyone taking something for seasonal allergies and have you found it impacts your cardio or breathing ability any? I'm on claritin for spring pollen allergies - started 3/15 and will take until mid-May. I am finding, besides congestion, that my cardio/breathing seems impaired. I'm having a very hard time with my cardio walk (harder than my c25k runs bizarrely enough) and I don't know if it's cuz I haven't been working out every day lately or from the meds. I feel like I've gained about 20 lbs and am walking thru a swamp, it's horrible. It could totally be bc I'm not doing as much since I was back-injured in mid-March, and while I didn't think you could lose your cardio capacity this quickly, anything is possible.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I think you should be talking to your doctor about this. You may be having a allergic reaction. but to be sure ask your doctor what is going on.I have taken clariton and alavert with no problem.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:37 AM   #3  

I'm on generic Loratadine and I also have seasonal asthma. Could you be having that?
Loratadine works ok, but I still get congestion, eye problems and cough. It really just takes the edge off the allergy symptoms.
I'd go back to the Dr. and see if your lung capacity is compromised by asthma.
It's not the end of the world if it is, you just adjust your workouts during the worst of it. That and I keep an inhaler with me for 911. I have only used it for 1 week this whole year though.
If you are only affected by spring allergies I wouldn't worry too much.
I am on Loratadine year round.
aschenbrodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:46 AM   #4  

I do get cold-induced asthma, but not breathing difficulty (can't get air asthma). Mine is more convulsive coughing, and for that I do have an inhaler. I think this is mostly congestion. But thanks for responding. You are right - it just takes the edge off, but I still sit around crying (eyes tearing up), coughing and blowing crap out of my nose. But the nose stops dripping. It's either drippy, sneezy nose or congestion I suppose. Pick your devil.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I use an inhaler before going out for outside runs during the spring. My chest gets really tight and burning, and it's hard to breathe if I don't do the inhaler plus I cough like crazy after I'm done. Mostly in the spring, however, so I assume it has something to do with pollen, although I've never been tested for allergies. And I always have handkerchiefs in my pocket (or I run with it in my hand) because my nose drips when I exercise no matter the season. Don't know what that's all about, but it's annoying.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #6  
Life's tough Get a helmet

S/C/G: 195/195/145

Height: 5'3"

I take claritin for allergies. I dont seem to have any problems, but i agree with bargoo that you should talk to your doctor.
Spunkster5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:04 PM   #7  

Loratadine doesn't work for me.

No antihistamine is going to treat congestion. For that you need a decongestant (Sudafed or whatever's still available).
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:23 PM   #8  

It's actually the antihistamine that's causing the congestion. They do make claritin-D for people who get congested on claritin, but it has worse side effects like rapid heartbeat and insomnia, so I was trying not to go there since my heart can be a little weird beating on it's own, which has been looked into and is considered within the range of normal.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:50 PM   #9  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I used to take Claritan-D on a daily basis (for around ten years) but it caused digestive problems for me so I eventually switched to a combination of Zyrtec (an antihistamine), Nasonex (a decongestant nasal spray), and Elestat (eye drops). There are prescription meds that are much better for allergies than what is available over the counter. The nasal sprays, in particular, are much better than the decongestants taken in pill form because they target your nasal passages. I definitely encourage you to talk to your doctor.

But I'm sure that some of what you are experiencing is due to your back injury. I was out sick for less than two weeks earlier this year and I definitely lost a lot of my cardio during even that short period. If I'm out of my regular cardio routine for even just a couple of days, I notice the difference when I get back to my routine. When I was out sick, it took a full month before I was working out at my pre-illness levels.

So I'm sure that your difficulties breathing are combination of both your allergies and reduction in your exercise as a result of your back injury. At least the allergies are something your doctor should be able to help you with.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote