Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-09-2007, 12:27 PM   #1  

Default How to Become a Fitness Instructor/Personal Trainer

Hi, I'm new to the forum and am interested in finding out how one becomes a fitness instructor or personal trainer.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
robbie3982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #2  
Life's tough Get a helmet

S/C/G: 195/195/145

Height: 5'3"

I would check out this website. I think this is one of the best organizations to become certified through. https://www.issaonline.com/index.cfm
Spunkster5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:25 PM   #3  
Mel

What do you want to do with your certification? Your end goals really determine what is "the best" certification. If you want to work in a gym or studio, call the head trainer and find out what certifications they deem accceptable. The current "hot" certifications are through NASM and NSCA. But that will do little for you with group fitness.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #4  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

When I get to where I wanna be I want to be a group instructor and personal trainer. IS the ACE certification any good anymore?
http://www.acefitness.org/getcertified/
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:13 AM   #5  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

No one knows?
Old 04-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #6  
Meg

Diva, ACE is one of the top five or six certifications. Almost any gym would accept their certification.

What people need to watch out for is the literally hundreds of bogus certifications available. You can pay a lot of money for a certification that's worthless.

Like Mel suggested, it's a really good idea to get in touch with places where you'd like to work when you're deciding which certification to get. Talk to head trainers about which certifications are held in the highest regard. I know that Ballys only accepts seven or so certifications, so if yours isn't on the list, you're out of luck.

Off the top of my head, I'd say widely accepted choices are ACSM, NASM (mine ), NSCA, ACE, and ISSA. But I'm not familiar with the group exercise ones.

Best of luck to you!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #7  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

Thank you Meg. I'm gonna save this info for the future me! I hope to work @ either the Pigeon Forge Community Center, which is REALLY nice, or @ the YMCA someplace. The BF and I are considering a move to PA (Northeast, Where he's from) next year, so I'd have to check things out up there when I get there.