Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #1  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

Default Exercise before weigh-in?

Does anyone know if you are heavier (or lighter) after doing exercise? Not taking into account sweating..lol Would there be any reason NOT to do a last-chance workout before a weigh-in, for example?
(I do turbo jam and ride a recumbent bike, if it depends on the exercise, and I am not a sweater.)
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I will be down consistently after working out -- UNLESS -- I took in a huge amount of water during the exercise. Then it pretty much breaks even if I slosh onto the scale. But I really do think it all comes down to water weight - either sweat, or the fact that you've delayed your weigh in by an hour or two and maybe gone potty a few more times, lightening the fluids in your body. Why do you ask - anything specific, or just curious?
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:17 AM   #3  

well I had a weigh in last week, and I was up a pound..on only my second week and following plan, so I was trying to come up with possibilities as to why a gain..
Old 04-08-2007, 12:10 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I am definitely heavier after a workout. Muscles retain water after a workout specially weight training... But even after running I am heavier ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Hi Natalia,
I don't think weighing yourself after working out is going to be accurate--you'll either be up or down.

For me, I *only* weigh myself in the mornings, after I've gone to the loo and before I eat anything. I figure my weight during the day will depend on whether I've exercised, when I've eaten, etc, etc, but I'm pretty much empty in the mornings. This also prevents me from weighing myself obsessively--if I forget in the morning, then I know there is no point getting on the scale until the next day, so I don't.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm always heavier after a workout, sometimes as much as 5 lbs.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:22 PM   #7  

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

how long does it take to go back down? 5 hours or so? I am going to a weight loss clinic and I do my weigh in's at 5pm every day, and I worked out right before leaving the house.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:30 PM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Its the first thing Curves tells you not to do, weigh in AFTER you workout. If you forget to weigh in, they want you to wait until you come in the next time, because you can weigh more after the workout.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:10 PM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

how long does it take to go back down? 5 hours or so? I am going to a weight loss clinic and I do my weigh in's at 5pm every day, and I worked out right before leaving the house.
I wouldnt worry about it. Yes you were up 1 lb this last weigh in but you arent going to KEEP adding weight because of working out. Water weight comes and goes. If you can not control the time of your weigh in then you need to learn to look at the TREND, not the week to week number and not let a weigh in (especially a daily one) run your life or your program.

If you can CHOOSE your weigh in time then great, if not, then you are going to have variables (clothes, what you ate, what you drank, exercise, humidity, etc. etc.) and you just have to let it go.

Better to workout and weigh a little high than not workout just to get a lower number, but in the long run slow your progress
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:04 PM   #10  

thanks for the responses! It was actually a typo, I weigh in once a week, on thursdays at 5pm..
I wouldnt forfeit working out just to see a lower number, but I would just work out after my weigh in instead of before, kwim? if it makes a difference