General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 11:28 AM   #1  
Committed Maintainer

S/C/G: 214/117.5/120

Height: 4'-11.75"

Default Tattoo Ideas?

So, I only have 11 pounds until I meet goal. I have said for many years that when I finally hit goal that I will get a tattoo. Now that this is becoming a real possibility, I am not sure what kind I want. I do know I want it on my left wrist. I have toyed with ideas about "bracelets" containing chinese symbols relating to perserverence, determination, transformation, etc. I have also toyed with the idea of a butterfly with one symbol or butterflies and symbols making up the bracelet. I want it to be small and feminine. I am just at a loss.

My question is to those who have already done this sort of thing. What is your tattoo? Does anyone have any cool ideas?

for reading!
Old 04-07-2007, 11:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I don't have a tattoo and personally do not want one, but my niece came home from her first semester at college with a tattoo on her lower back. Her parents weren't too happy about it, but she is apparently proud of it because she designed it herself. If I were you, I'd do a lot of research because this is something you'll see every day for the rest of your life (especially if you want it on your wrist!). I don't know how old you are, but also consider the ramifications--does your job allow you to have visible tattoos? Or are you going to have to wear long sleeves for the rest of your life at that job? (This happened to a friend; she hated it and eventually had it removed and it was a big one--Chinese symbols that ran down one forearm for about 5 or 6 inches. She still has a bunch of tattoos, but all are on her back now.)

I don't mean this to tell you not to get a tattoo--that is for you to decide. I think my thinking is if it is somewhere where I will always see it, will I get tired of seeing it? I know I would. It's like clothes--styles change and there is no way I want to wear "that" because it isn't in style any longer!! Haha, vanity!!!

I have a girlfriend that got a flower chain bracelet on her ankle--very, very cute! And another friend that got a lady bug on her breast. It's so tiny it looks like a mole. Yucky if you ask me.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:00 PM   #3  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I don't have any cool ideas but I do have a tattoo on my left ankle. It's a heart with a rose in it with our angel baby's name under it. I never tire of looking at it, I don't really pay attention to it honestly. It's there and I don't really notice. I do plan on getting another next month on my BD, a big heart (into hearts, lol) kind of hard to describe. It's like a patchwork heart, a broken heart that has been sewn back together with the needle sticking out of it. The needle is a cross. Going on my right thigh where I can see it, lol. My deal is why put a tattoo where you can't see it? I actually like your idea though and you can always hide it with a bracelet or watch.

And yes...WTG on the weight loss!

Last edited by FrouFrou; 04-07-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:05 PM   #4  
Addicted to potato salad!

Personally, I'm not a tattoo person for myself, but like to hear stories and reasons for other's tattoos.

I think that a nice little butterfly would be nice on the inside of your wrist, off to the pinky side of the wrist. Reason being is that a butterfly is symbolic of resurrection (sp) and that's kind of how you're feeling about your weightloss, right?

My daughter likes to put a temporary heart tattoo in this same spot and I have to admit...it's kinda cute! We put a butterfly there one time and I liked it...
Old 04-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #5  
Addicted to potato salad!

PS...congrats on an AWESOME weightloss!!
Old 04-07-2007, 01:21 PM   #6  
New mom, aspiring DVM

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Way to go on the weight loss!!

I've got a phoenix tattoo on the front of my left hip - I got it as a symbol of rebirth, to signify a number of things I have overcome and remind me that I can start over at any time and that every day is a new day. Kind of a reminder to own my own life and "reinvent" myself every day as the person I want to be.

The placement is ideal for me - since this is a very personal and meaningful symbol to me, it's in a place that won't be seen unless I want it to be seen. Even in a sport-style bikini it doesn't show, yet it's easy to reveal if I so choose.

I also have a sunflower on my foot, both in memory of my grandmother and just plain fun.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've also toyed with the idea of getting a tattoo when I reach goal. My husband looks sort of like a viking biker (his hair is long and auburn brown with some gray, and his beard is orange red, also with some gray), so you might think he would be into tattoos, but he always has said he's never seen a tattoo that he would want permanently on his body. He couldn't believe that I would even consider a tattoo (my appearance is much more traditional). I'm pretty indecisive too, and change my mind alot, so I doubt either of us is a really good candidate for a tattoo - at least not in a spot that's always on display.

We're both big kids though, so we bought a bunch of temporary tattoos we found in a clearance store recently, and ironically it's changed his mind on the tattoo idea quite a bit. I like the idea of sort of a "right of passage," and memorial for the weight loss - something that reminds me every day how hard I've worked. But the thing about symbols is they're very personal, you might consider doing a little research (library or web) on tattoos and on symbols and see if anything speaks to you directly. I think you'll know it when you see it.

I do agree that you have to be careful both with choice and placement, because it is pretty much permanent. If you even think you might consider removal or overtattoing at some point, you might want to discuss with the tattoo artist your choice, because some colors are notoriously difficult to remove or tattoo over. Another thing to consider is your skin color and type. My brother-in-law is african american and he has a couple of tattoos. One doesn't show up very well because of his skin color, and another scarred with keloids (thick raised scars). African Americans are more likely to form keloids, but you don't have to be black to form these kinds of scars. I tend toward them myself (and I'm about as "white" as a person can get without being albino), so I'm not sure I'll ever be willing to take the risk of a tattoo in a spot that's always visible.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:28 PM   #8  
Pending Email Confirmation

It is hard to say, because a tattoo is such a personal thing. Best think you could do is have a general idea of what you want and then go into a couple shops and take a look at their books and talk to the artists. Also look online at tattoo galleries to get some ideas.
I do urge you to keep in mind that the wrist is a very visible spot, like mentioned before, you do need to take into consideration your lifestyle, your job, etc.
I do have in mind my next tattoo as well... I am happy with mine, but I do make sure I can cover them if need be.
Congratulations on your weight loss and good luck on finding the right tat for you!
Old 04-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #9  
Pending Email Confirmation

oh we were all posting at the same time. I thought of a good general rule for a tattoo when it comes to changing your mind over and over...

a good general rule is to love the tattoo or idea for at least 6 months to a year.. if one month you love one thing, but then next month you love something else... you haven't found the right one yet.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #10  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Also, coming from a girl who used to hang out at a tattoo parlor a lot because she's very good friends with the piercer, you want to make sure that the tattoo artist WANTS to do your tattoo. Check his portfolio and everything. Sometimes, not all times, tattoo artists won't do as good of a job if they aren't particularly wanting to do a piece (and usually what they want to do is something unique, not from the flash on the wall). Also, the particular tattoo artist I'm thinking of would also do a better job on hot chicks than he would anyone else. I really don't know the best way to avoid this, except for maybe having the artist draw up a design for you to your specifications. That way, if you like it, it's his work and he's more likely to be excited about it? I'm really not sure. Sorry to be such a downer! Haha. I just cannot stress enough to check his portfolio. Also, most artists usually have a specialty, in terms of the kinds of tattoos they like to do. Some specialize in tribals (packing in color), some old school, some Asian, etc. You might also be able to get a feel for this from the artist's portfolio as well as his sketchbook, if he has one. Anyway, whatever you decide, best of luck!
Old 04-07-2007, 05:53 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

you need to find a tattoo that is personal to you..sorry i know it doesn't help. You can get ideas from the tattoo shop or you can look on line. I have three and each of them have a meaning. Make it your own. Personally to me..i think butterflies are over rated and seem to be over done..but if that's what you want go for it. Just think hard...its gonna be there a long time. congrats on the wt loss.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:50 PM   #12  

Thirding, fourthing, whatever the idea to think about how visible your wrists are. Hand (and neck/face) tattoos are hardcore-- you can't cover them with clothing and unfortunately there still are people who will judge you for them.

Congratulations on your weight loss.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:03 PM   #13  
Melissa

Height: 5'9''

I have a tattoo on my shoulder of a daisy. I went randomly with a friend one day and I drew it with a sharpie and then they guy drew it on me, kind of crazy but I love it! The wrist is a cute place to get one and if you want girly butterflies, flowers, hearts, stars etc... are just that. I think ladybugs would be super cute too! The words or symbols would be great too if you came up with something you really liked and would feel good reading everyday. Congrats on the wonderful weight loss as well! Good luck with everything!
Old 04-08-2007, 04:20 AM   #14  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I have a tattoo and it even happens to be on my left wrist. It is of a lizard. It winds around my arm--the tail starts on the underside of my arm, and then the body of the lizard winds around my arm so that most of the body, the feet, and the head appear on the top of my arm. The whole thing is about 4 inches long. I got it when I was 24 (I'm now 38) and I'm still thrilled with it. I work in a professional environment and, although I can cover it up with long sleeves if necessary, I rarely feel the need to do so. I love to show it off. In fact, I frequently wear 3/4 length sleeves just so that it will be visible. People don't expect it of me (I'm otherwise pretty conservative and straight-laced, especially at work), so it let's people know that there's more to me than meets the eye. I do a lot of public speaking and people comment on it not infrequently on my evaluation forms. Only once, in ten years, has anyone said anything negative.

My main considerations when I got it were:
  • Get it on a part of my body that I was comfortable drawing attention to and that I was confident I would still be comfortable drawing attention when I am old a saggy. Hence, the wrist, and not my stomach, butt, boobs, etc. Even when I was at my highest weight, I was always happy with how my wrists looked.
  • Get it in a place where people would see it. It was painful to get and, even worse, it itched like the dickens for days. I wasn't going to go through all that and not have people see it. Clearly, this isn't the way everyone feels, though, and I'm not trying to knock those who have tattoos that are hidden.
  • A picture that wasn't too cutesy, wasn't a naked woman or a motorcycle, and wasn't too nasty or scary either. The lizard fit the bill perfectly.
  • Get something that was different. The tattoo artist wanted to just put the lizard straight up and down on my forearm, but having him wind it around my arm makes it unique. I've never seen another tattoo like it.

I'd echo what others have said about thinking carefully about it. It is going to be permanent, so make sure you can live with it. I did think about what I wanted for at least a year before getting mine. Your wrist is going to be very visible, which is exactly what I wanted, but it's not for everyone.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:05 AM   #15  
Committed Maintainer

S/C/G: 214/117.5/120

Height: 4'-11.75"

Thanks for all the ideas and comments. I assure you I have thought about this for at least 5 years, and have never once wavered in my decision to get the tattoo or where I wanted it. I only have trouble with deciding exactly what I want. I know butterflies are overdone so I then thought about symbols regarding the things I needed to acquire in order to lose this weight. This tattoo would be a talisman and needs to reflect that. I also don't want something that will look out of place when I am older. I did get some good ideas from this post so thank you for replying. I'll be sure to post a picture when it is done. Have a great Easter!
Closed Thread