Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-06-2007, 01:36 PM   #1  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

Default Small is Big

I just got back from the grocery store. Ben and Jerry's is now selling their ice cream in 3.6 fl. oz. containers for a buck. Little tiny things. Anyone else see these? 220 calories per container. Man they are small but I'm thinking that's prolly what a serving is. Altough, isn't a serving of ice cream usually 1/2 cup, which is 4.0 fl. oz. Hmmm, must be some new math they got going! Anyway, better than buying the pint and eating the entire thing. Come on, don't say you never have!!

Jo
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:41 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I saw those at one point and thought they were a great idea on portion sizing. Then I saw the calories and said forget it. I have much better things to spend 220 calories on.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Yeah - I was excited when I saw those too, and then went HOLY COW on the calories. Extra premium icecream is still too caloric.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

And oh yeah, when I was in college we had 2" reading days" before finals and it was tradition to get a pint of haagen-daz (I dont think B&J existed yet) and eat the whole dang thing while studying every day. 1000 calories on icecream.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:08 PM   #5  
Just Me

Ennay, I got one better. My school had a cafe where they gave you $50 per quarter to use in the cafe. Cafe sold sandwiches, hamburgers, what not. No one ever ate there except they did sell B&Js. So at the end of the quarter, everyone would go buy pints of B&Js and finals would be a major B&J fest.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I ate an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's just last weekend. That's about 1000 calories. Yuck. I love premium ice-cream--especially B&J NY Super Fudge Chunk and Godiva Chocolate Raspberry Swirl and I'm never going to give it up entirely. I think the one serving packages are a stroke of genius on the part of Ben & Jerry's. 220 calories a serving is alot, but, really, sometimes a girl just needs some high quality ice cream, and it is MUCH better to have the portion settled in advance than to risk a debacle like my ice cream binge on the weekend. I just wish they would make the NY Super Fudge Chunk in the little packages...
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:47 PM   #7  
Just Me

I'm more than willing to give up high calorie ice cream. I haven't had any high calorie ice cream in years and I'm perfectly happy with that. Now if dreyers put their cookies and cream in one of those small cups, I might be tempted. For now, I'm satisfied with a small soft serve for under 100 calories whenever the ice cream craving hits.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:41 PM   #8  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is that really me View Post
I just got back from the grocery store. Ben and Jerry's is now selling their ice cream in 3.6 fl. oz. containers for a buck. Little tiny things. Anyone else see these? 220 calories per container. Man they are small but I'm thinking that's prolly what a serving is. Altough, isn't a serving of ice cream usually 1/2 cup, which is 4.0 fl. oz.
Yes, normally a serving is 1/2 cup. And, depending on the ice cream, a 1/2 cup can range anywhere from 90 calories to over 300.

220 calories isn't THAT bad for an indulgence, which we all need once in a while. But I usually buy the Weight Watchers ice cream cones, which are only 140 calories each and only 4 grams of total fat.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:48 PM   #9  
No description available.

Cool! Thanks for the heads' up. Sounds like a good trick for portion control.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:26 PM   #10  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

If only the Dreyers slow-churned ice creams came in a small container like that. I could totally fit that ice cream into my calorie plan and many of the flavors sound really yummy, but they only sell it in the large containers--what is that, a quart? a gallon? All I know is that it's far too much ice cream for me to have around the house, even if it is only 110 calories per serving.

I B&J fish food ice cream. I used to eat a half pint for dinner (and it was a sheer miracle I stopped there).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:33 PM   #11  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I buy the generic brand ice cream sundae cups (vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce) and rainbow sherbet cups. The sherbet cups have 130 calories per, and the sundae cups have 160. I eat one for dessert -every- night, and I consider it essential to my plan to have that little bit of dessert each day.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:36 AM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I just need to stay away from ice cream. Period. We don't get along very well. I kinda like it too much. Once I start I just can't stop, so I stay away from it, far, far away.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:28 AM   #13  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I buy the generic brand ice cream sundae cups (vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce) and rainbow sherbet cups. The sherbet cups have 130 calories per, and the sundae cups have 160. I eat one for dessert -every- night, and I consider it essential to my plan to have that little bit of dessert each day.
I agree that little treats are essential. As I've said before, I don't believe in deprivation. I mean, we're in this for life, are we not? Why give up favorite foods? Just eat them in moderation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I just need to stay away from ice cream. Period. We don't get along very well. I kinda like it too much. Once I start I just can't stop, so I stay away from it, far, far away.
Sounds to me like you and ice cream get along a little TOO well, LOL.

It's good, though, that you recognize a weakness. I'm like that with Chinese food. If I get around that stuff, I just want to keep eating and eating until I explode.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I haven't meet a ben and jerry ice cream that I don't love. I like the idea of them putting it in a single serving. When I was in college I would probable once a month have ice cream night with my friends. We would go to the C-Store and each buy a pint. Then sit and eat the entire thing. Now I realize what a bad idea it was.

On a side note awhile ago I had purchased a 1/2 gallon of the edy's slow churne ice cream. I was cleaning out my freezer and opened the carton there was several servings left and it was gross and freezer burnt so I tossed it. I would have never had ice cream in my freezer long enough to turn gross.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote