Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-05-2007, 02:14 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up Extreme Measures to Exercise: Question on Lifting Weights

So since December I haven't really exercised consistantly. I would do t on and off for a week or two 3x a week and then take a month off. Anyway... so last week I ddid something drastic and hired a personal trainer. I am SOOO HAPPY -- he is amazing. I love the fact that I am actually feeling some of the muscles that I thought I didn't have and I love the accountability. So I have been doing it 5 x a week (I did say extreme ). I LOVE LOVE it but I can't afford to do it everyday.

I want to know how often one should do muscle training per week? Also, how long is the suggested time?

Thanks
Crescendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:16 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I do weight lifting 5 times per week for about 30 minutes per session. I don't do a full body workout each time though, I rotate which muscles I'm working on at the time.

It really depends on you and your goals. You could do it 3 times per week or more. I'd definitely consult with your personal trainer though on a suggested routine and frequency.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #3  
Meg

Lifting is addictive, isn't it?

Lots of people lift five days a week - but they do it in a planned and systematic program. I second Nelie - since you already have a trainer (good move!), let your trainer set you up with a weekly program. Your trainer should be able to give you workouts to do even when you're working out on your own and not in a session.

Have fun!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:36 PM   #4  
Mel

Same answer here I lift 4-5 times a week, but a different muscle group each day. Talk to your trainer about what you want to do.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:58 PM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

Lifting is addictive -- it feels amazing to feel all of these different muscles being used!!

I will ask my trainer once it becomes more habitual and once I FINALLY get a hold of the cardo portion of exercise!

Thanks for the replies.
Crescendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:13 AM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I do weights with my trainer individually three times a week and do a group session with him once a week. The group session is free and relatively new; before that it was just the three individual sessions. On the in-between days I do cardio on my own. I've definitely been very happy with the progress I've made with just the 3 sessions per week.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote