Old 04-03-2007, 01:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/230/150

Height: 5'6

Red face This is how bad I want to be skinny...

Im thinking about picking up smoking JUST to lose weight.... lol.. how stupid is that/??
but hey!
it would work lol
southernleftylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:04 PM   #2  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Yikes!

Yeah, it won't necessarily work. I know a whole bunch of fat smokers.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

My mom did that when I was a kid. It didn't work -- she coughed her way through a pack or two and then remembered that she liked being alive...

Plus, when you smoke you always smell bad. Sorry to offend any smokers, but the smell of smoke is seriously overpowering. So if the plan worked, you'd be skinny and stinky and have charred lungs. Sexy...

I know it sounds like I'm making light of it, but really...you already know it's not good to replace overeating with smoking because you're trading bad health for bad or maybe worse health.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I'm not sure that would work, but don't think I hadn't thought of it before myself. LOL. Seriously after a while our energy level would decrease even more due to the lung damage/ capacity so we'd probably gain wt. I see a lot of heavy wt. smokers out there. Not necessarily the prescription for wt. loss, IMHO.

I used to teach Stamp Out Smoking classes. We taught that a pack a day of cigarettes was just as physically damaging to one's body as being 100 lbs. overweight. Just food for thought.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My belief is health first, weight second. I want to be healthy above all things and I want to lose weight. Luckily, both generally go hand in hand. If I'm watching what I eat and exercising, I will be healthier plus I should lose weight.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/191/147

Height: 5'8''

I smoked for 14 years and gained 50 pounds over time. The longer I smoked, the harder it was for me to be active.

I quit a year and a half ago by the way.
eesabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:25 PM   #7  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Millie!

Go read a package of cigarettes. Fat trumps DEAD anytime! Please reconsider...especially for those kids of yours! Second hand smoke from YOU means smoke entering THEIR lungs, too. Do you honestly want to start something that could harm your children?

Cheryl

Last edited by Cheryl14; 04-03-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Almost 30 years got me an extra 40 lbs ... don't recommend that, nope.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/230/150

Height: 5'6

fine fine fine ...
i wouldnt anyway... lol but still.. ugh.. i wish i could just wiggle my nose and become skinny
southernleftylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:41 PM   #10  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hey Millie,

IMHO, you might lose a little weight at the beginning, but...in the end, you'd probably just have two horrible habits....overeating and smoking! I really don't think smoking would help you to lose the 80 pounds on your ticker. I quit smoking in October 05. I smoked 1 - 1.5 packs a day....and I was still 75 pounds overweight!

Have you ever smoked? If you have...please let me give you some reminders. If you havent, please let me share some insights.
When I smoked, I stunk....badly! Have you been near anybody who smokes lately? The smell of stale cigarette smoke in your hair, on your clothes and on your breath is majorly unattractve! When I smoked, I coughed up phlegm every morning. (Gross, huh?) I would cough for probably the first 30 minutes after my feet hit the floor. The coughing fits would leave me breathless and with a sore throat. My girls saw this every morning. How inspiring that must have been for them! I couldnt go anywhere without having to stop for a smoke and make my family wait on me. Disneyworld?...had to make sure I knew where every smoking area was and had to stop at each one. Dinner out? we couldnt just get in the car after leaving the restaurant....they had to wait for me to smoke...or, I would leave the table while Hubby paid the bill. On the way into Wal-mart, had to have that smoke....on the way back out to the car...had to have the cigarette. I didnt smoke in the house, so smoking meant spending a lot of time outside by myself and losing a lot of precious time with hubby and the girls. And, I havent even gotten to the money. At the time I quit, I was spending approximately $115.00 dollar a month on my nasty habit....that equals $1380.00 a year! I wish I had all of the money I've spent on cigarettes. Just think....I fired up a lighter and literally burned $1380.00 a year!

If all of this doesnt make you stop and think....here is the clincher. For the rest of my life, I will have to worry about getting lung cancer. Its a fact....smoking greatly increases my risk and that risk will never fully go away.

I understand how desperate you are to lose the weight. Second only to smoking, losing weight is the hardest thing I have ever done. Please notice...I said second only to quitting smoking. Quitting smoking is so very very difficult. Do yourself one of the biggest favors ever...don't start
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernleftylady View Post
fine fine fine ...
i wouldnt anyway... lol but still.. ugh.. i wish i could just wiggle my nose and become skinny
It involves more of an overall body wiggle, about 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #12  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

I second the Bewitched nose-wiggling myself to being thin. I -wish- I had that power! Haha. As far as smoking goes, I don't think I've really heard much about people losing weight while smoking, so much as gaining when they quit.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Glory ... I now have a mental picture of a bunch of folks 'wiggling' for 45 minutes each day.

Should we start a Wiggling Accountability thread?
Have you wiggled today?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:58 PM   #14  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Loved that reply, Glory! Very good, very creative!

I had actually read this post before any one had replied. I thought about replying at that time, but I knew that there would be some great advice coming from the others and I could just say "ditto"!! I think everyone would love to have a magic pill or something to make the fat go away. That's why the diet industry is so huge.

Could it be that because it is such a long, difficult journey, that it makes it that much sweeter with each success along the way? If it were easy, would you hear as much joy in these posts when people are able to wear that lower size jeans or lose a pound or two? I think of some of rockinrobin's posts (and others) who have expressed the pride they have in what they have done. It not only helps that they are so much thinner, but they have confidence and self-esteem that developed during the difficult times.

*** how profound was that???!!***

The big thing is that those sweet little faces in your avatar would be affected and that's not good!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:32 PM   #15  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm a fat smoker. Trust me, it won't work. And trying to quit is probably equally as hard as trying to lose weight. Please don't do it.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote