Old 04-02-2007, 01:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 291/see tckr/170

Height: 5'6

Default Birth Control shouldn't stop me from my weight loss??????

I have been on Birth Control For about a year and half, During my time takin the pill i didnt have any drastic weight gain, and if I did it was all on fast food, big portions, and no exercise. I stopped taking it in march cuz i had missed a couple of days so i couldnt make it up. Since im now single I really dont need them like that, hint hint hint, but i like to take them cuz im pretty much guaranteed a period on a certain day of the month. So I just took my first pill tonight, and I was just wondering if i would be ok....I workout 6 days a week; 20-30 minutes cardio, and 30-40min on weight training, and I eat about 800-1300 cals a day.

like i said before i didnt see a weight gain due to only that...and I know some women like to blame weight gain on their Birth Control pills.
Angela85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:37 AM   #2  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

I don't see any reason as to why bc pills would stop you from trying to lose weight. I know that there are some that have been associated with making it more difficult, but there's no reason as to why you can't see how things go. My only concern here is with your calorie levels. 1300 is okay, but 800 is too low, especially for someone working out as much as you are. If your calories go too low, some say that level is below 1000 (but others have different numbers), your body will go into starvation mode eventually which will actually prevent you from losing weight. You can probably eat way more calories than you are now and still lose weight at the same rate, depending. I'm certainly no expert, though, and I'm sure others will reply and give you a much more comprehensive response.

Good luck with your future weight loss efforts! 34 lbs lost is a GREAT achievement in such a short period of time. Way to go!
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:06 AM   #3  

When I was on Depo, I had a difficult time maintaining my weight and ended up gaining alot of weight... however, the gain didn't have much to do with being on birth control. I switched to Seasonale, and I love it. I don't feel that I have to worry about my birth control being a factor in my weight.

As for starvation mode, I don't know why that myth keeps getting perpetuated. Starvation mode occurs in those people who aren't eating anything... ie those starving children in Africa. Not to people who are trying lose weight and who are eating.
I wouldn't recommend eating 800cal/day without a doctors supervision, as there are some lab values that you should have monitored. However, as long as those 800cals are high protein, it shouldn't be much of a problem. Take multivitamins and a potassium supplement and get lots of fluids.
You shouldn't have anything to worry about with birth control pills as long as you aren't using it as an excuse to eat, or go off your plan.
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:30 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Welcome to the forum Angela. I'm gonna put in my 1/2 cent here. I see that you did ask me how I've lost weight on another thread so I'm gonna take that as an opening. I must tell you 800 calories is simply not enough calories. You simply can't get in enough nutrients on that little calories and you can't get enough energy to sustain you throughout the day.

You really should never go below 1200 calories. Of course we all have occasional days where we're just not hungry and can't seem to eat even 1000 calories worth. That's fine once in a while, the rest of the week will balance it out.

I'm sure you're anxious to lose weight. Not just temporarily, but FOREVER. I think you need to find a plan that you can live with forever and ever. No stopping when you get to your goal weight, cause that ususally results in going back to your old habits and pouring the weight back on. I think you need to look at this as a new healthy lifestyle.

If you were to eat only 800 calories a day, you would most likely be STARVING and therefore are more likely to veer off plan, big time. So it really is counterproductive. I myself never could stick to something so restrictive. I had to find a plan that I could actually STICK to. Because that really is key. It just won't work if you dont stick with it. I find eating 3 meals a day and 2 - 3 snacks to be something I can live with. I eat every 2 -3 hours so that I am never hungry. It is also very important to eat top quality foods, filled with protein, nutrients and fiber. This will also help to keep you full, hence staying on plan.

Of course we all have to find our "own" plan, because we know ourselves best. You've already lost a nice amount of weight, so obviously something is working for you. Glad to have you on board. Looking forward to getting to know you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:31 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I actually attribute BC pills to my weight loss. I did gain weight that wouldn't budge on one BC pill but I switched to a different one after that and it is better.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:24 AM   #6  
Method to the Madness

Like I said previously, I'm no expert, I was just saying from a lot of places I've read (on here, and again, a lot of people aren't experts) that your body will go into starvation mode. I know a lot of people claim that their weight loss stalled until they bumped their calories up higher when they were eating a low amount (still above 1200, though, just not enough for THEIR body), which was my point all along. Whether that's true or not, it would be next to impossible to get all of the nutrients your body needs to sustain itself, like Robin said, on 800 calories.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:43 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I have heard a lot of stories of women gaining weight on Depo ("the shot"), but as far as pills are concerned, I think as long as you work with your doctor to find the pill that's best for you, you'll be okay.

I've been on birth control pills since the week I turned 16 because I had to have emergency surgery to remove multiple ovarian cysts (which had gotten so out of control I had to have an ovary removed, too, since the biggest cyst had cut off circulation and killed it), and BC pills help to prevent cysts from growing (a healthy woman creates cysts every month as part of her cycle, but they typically get "flushed out" with everything else during TOM--mine were just stubborn and decided to have a party with my insides ).

Anyway, yes, I've definitely gained weight since I was 16 and on the pills. but I would never blame the pills for it. I blame the fast food stops, the college drinking, the secret bingeing... I did switch pills a couple years ago because I switched insurance, and my new insurance did not cover the same pills. There was a change in hormones, but I did not experience any major weight gain as a result.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #8  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Starvation mode was very real in my case. I was on this "diet" where I was probably eating 1000 calores a day. I was exercising my butt off, and I lost about 30 lbs in the beginning couple of months. Then it came to a screeching halt. I didn't lose a pound for weeks! So I eventually gave up and went back to eating the old way, and ended up gaining so much weight. I'm guessing because my metabolism had slowed down so much that I was actually maintaining on 1000 calories. So going back to eating 2000 - 2500 calories was just piling the fat on. So I'm definitely a believer in starvation mode, and how it can mess up your metabolism.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 260/259/180

Height: 5'11

i gained probably 70 lbs on the depo but now im on nueva ring and love it.
watchhershrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #10  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Each woman's hormonal system is so very unique. Some of us can gain weight if our hormones get thrown significantly off balance, but this does not have to be the outcome of birth control. If this birth control has a negative impact, talk with your doctor about switching to an alternate pill or method. There are many excellent choices on the market.

Regarding your calorie ranges - I agree with RockinRobin about planning for the long haul and not just for a quick weight loss. Can you really stick with only 800 calories a day for the length of time it takes to lose all of the weight? Being so strict might turn out to be counter productive for you.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:19 PM   #11  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

It's been a while since I was on the pill, but I never had any problem with weight gain because of taking it.

And as if you haven't heard it enough...
Quote:
I must tell you 800 calories is simply not enough calories
ditto! ditto! ditto! (Are you beginning to see that we don't think 800 calories is a good idea?? )
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:32 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 291/see tckr/170

Height: 5'6

OK OK OK LADIES!!!! LOL Tomorrow I will stop the the less than 1200 cals......im gonna go for 1300-1500 a day. Thank you ladies for your support, i really appreciate it. My questions about the BCpills have pretty much been answered.
Angela85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:40 AM   #13  
Method to the Madness

Good luck and remember to keep us updated!
Old 04-03-2007, 11:58 AM   #14  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Yes, good luck, and you are doing great so far! Keep it up!
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote