Old 04-02-2007, 02:19 PM   #1  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default W.O.W.'s Mother's Day Challenge! An invitation!

You "dads" are welcome here of course also! I'd like to extend an invitation to each of you~join us on our incredible journey to good health! We're a really great group of wonderful and supportive gals, and the rules are so simple!

This challenge will run from NOW until Mother's day, Sunday, May 13th, SIX weeks. WE CAN DO THIS! Suz, forgive me for copyright infringement, but you explained it SO NICELY for the April Fool's challenge, I just copied/pasted the guidelines here....

As with all the previous W.O.W. challenges, the only real rule for this challenge is to BE HEALTHY. Be realistic, get enough calories, challenge yourself physically without hurting yourself. That's it!

Set yourself a reasonable, attainable weight loss goal to get to by that day. It's that easy! We will have Weekly Thread Chats, starting every Monday until the end of the challenge... we do a new one every week to avoid having to go through pages and pages of posts. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to check in as often as they like, to share whatever they like, and most importantly to give support and to get support.

We all monitor the scale differently... but a good portion of us have found success by weighing in only once a week. Please feel free to do whatever you're most comfortable with. You may choose whatever day you'd like for your weigh-in day. Whatever you choose to do, remember that successes are not ONLY measured by the numbers on the scale, but in the ways we change our lives for the better.

Women on... WHAT??

Okay, let me explain that "Women on WEED" is not what you might be thinking. During the challenges I mentioned earlier, a group of us formed a great bond, and we've been challenge buddies ever since. We use the word "WEED" as a mnemonic device to set daily goals, an easy and very specific way to remind yourself during your day to take care of your body, and to nurture your Mind, Mouth and Muscles... it really does help. After all, we are all taking this a day at a time, right?

If you join this challenge, you will see it often - and you are encouraged to give it a try. Here's what it stands for:

W - Water intake. Set a daily goal for how much water you're going to drink. Although there is conflicting research as to how much to actually consume in a day, we all agree it is important to drink lots to stay healthy. So make it a goal!

E - Exercise. Efficient, healthy weight loss isn't going to happen unless you incorporate some kind of physical activity in your life. Everyone does it differently; some go to the gym, some work out at home, and some find ways to sneak in little bits of exercise all throughout the day. Set yourself a goal, even if it's small. Little bits done often WILL add up over time!

E - Eats. Being that we all have different eating plans and weight loss philosophies, this is sort of a wild card. Whatever plan you're on, set yourself a plan-appropriate daily eating goal for the day. Don't forget to make it specific!

D - Daily goal/Daily affirmation. This is another wild card. It doesn't even have to be weight-loss related! This is the spot where you list something you want to get accomplished. Or, you can use "D" for a a daily affirmation - it's an opportunity to say something good and positive about yourself. Sometimes, when we fall short - and we ALL do sometime - we are tempted to berate ourselves. Although it's good to recognize when we don't reach our goals, it's also good to remind ourselves of the awesome parts of ourselves. So go ahead and remind yourself of that in the "D" part of WEED.
Okay - who's ready to join us? Who's ready to stop Foolin' and start getting serious about getting pounds lost, getting healthy bodies?

Lots of love and looking forward to keeping up with old friends and possibly picking up some new ones!
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

I am totally in. My goal will be to lose 5 pounds.
grammpaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:51 PM   #3  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

I'm in. My goal is maintenance.
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 292/?/150

Height: 5ft6in

Fun! Count me in! I love a challenge. I'd like to lose 10 pounds by Mother's Day.

Love the daily affirmation thing. I'm quick to criticize myself and slow to complement myself. That is a big part of my new healthy lifestyle-mental health!
Shellyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:57 PM   #5  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

SO~ I got a chance to post the intro but didn't have time to post my own goals/ stats.....so here goes. Plus I'm extra motivated because my gym is also having a contest a "Spring Shape-up" that runs April 1st-June 1st. We're put in teams of two and get points for various things (1pt regular workout, 3 pts for some mysterious "special" workout TBA, 3 pts for aerobics class, 1 pt each pound/inch lost, etc. etc. etc) Plus I keep mentioning that it was THIS time last year, one year ago that I committed to getting fit, and though I've lost some motivation and have been kind of lazy (eating-wise mostly) I am hoping that it is this time this year to hop back on board.

You will notice that I changed my ticker.....I'm a huge ticker-denial kind of chick. It used to say 224 but I was kidding myself for awhile there, so in keeping with being honest, I admit my scale said 228 this morning and the gym scale said 235 for contest weigh-in (I've found that the gym scale is about 7-8 pds heavier than my home scale but I'm okay with that).

So my goal is to get to 220....I've been there before, I'll be there again. My secret goal will be 215 but I'm officially announcing 220.

W- I drink 3-4 liters a day, so not a problem for me....I carry a one-gallon jug with me to work every night and the girls make fun of it, but it only costs a QUARTER to refill the thing at any Aquabar or wherever you fill your water bottles.

E- I am a total GYM RAT....I've been getting outside with the kids and walking around the neighborhood since the weather has broken, and I'd like to spend more time outside, getting activity in OUTSIDE of the gym. I'd LOVE to find a summer softball league, it's been my idea for a few years now, I'm not any good, so a fun league would be good....I wonder who I need to call to find one? And to keep climbing the stairs at work (I work on the 6th floor) I've been lax about that lately.

E- Ahhhh here's the thing! Portion control!!! Lean meats!!!! Vegetables! Chipotle = EVIL....lol I do need to stay away from eating out, fast food, etc even if it is healthy choices....need to cook more. More salads, more chicken. I'm good on fruit, its my candy these days. Oh yes and now that bowling season is almost over, drinking and beer won't be so much an issue!

D- To think more positive thoughts, to consistently post here, to stay honest and accountable. To be a more active and involved mom and wife and nurse. Physical happiness = emotional happiness for me. I just have to work on it.

I feel like I'm rambling a bit.....Glad to see you checking in, brandy and paula!

Welcome Shelly! Please stick around a bit! I like your smile! (I assume that is you in your avatar?) I'm a bit of a scrapbooker myself but I admit I've been lazy with DD's book (2nd child syndrome, LOL) but DS has several LOVELY books....OMG whatta mom I am, must work on Rachel's book!

So I did my lower body workout this afternoon and I am thinking about going to aerobics tonight at 6:30....we'll see, it might be a better bet to take the children to the park. Must do some Easter basket shopping this week. I don't work again til Thurs/Friday nights. So I have a few nice days off.
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #6  
Calorie Counter

Hi my name is Jeni and I am a WEED-A-Holic. Okay, last week was rough for me, I strayed from my weed. I am finding it hard to get in all the water I want, plus my job is getting more physical by the day so I am too tired to go to the gym in the evening. I don't know if I need to lower my standards for workouts (time wise)or just do what I can.

Any how my plan:

W= 80-120 oz of water per day.
E= 30-60 minutes of intentional exercise. It may mean walking on my break, or getting in time at the gym.
E= trouble area right now. I will stick to 1200-1500 calories per day
D= mostly housework or playing with the kids, Making sure I get in my WEE.

I would like to lose 5 pounds this challenge. I haven't reached any of my goals yet, but it sure is fun trying!! I will be happy with 2 pounds.
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 150/148/120

Height: 5'2"

Woo-hoo! I'm in! I'm so excited, this challenge is what helped me get to the lowest weight I've been at since freshman year in college.

My goal will be to lose 5 pounds....that'll put me at 138, only a couple pounds away from a "healthy weight." Let's get started I'll post my first WEED tomorrow. Good luck everyone! Gotta go make a new ticker!
LaBonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:50 AM   #8  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Good morning to each of you. I'm up and pretty much ready for my walk. Its supposed to be warm one last day near 70 but stormy and then the dreaded snow is coming back. I do love Michigan weather.

I did my run in the afternoon yesterday instead of the dark morning hour. It was really nice to be out in the sun and see so much more of the surroundings. It made me really want the mornings to get light NOW. That wont happen til June I think. My neurologist was right about 1 thing. In regards to the headache she told me not to exercise all out and to exhaustion. I pushed on my run to see where I was at for a coming 5K race and tired myself right out. An hour later I had a splitting headache that lasted til this morning. I wonder why that happens.

Busy day for me here. I have a funeral to play this morning, a class in the early afternoon, 5 lessons to teach, and a bible study this evening. Hopefully that'll keep me good. I should have to leave before the funeral dinner so I can avoid that temptation. Bible class will be the hard one for the day. So many temptations.

W-64+
E-4 mile walk
E-healthy and controlled
D-Keep a smile on my face
Jeni-Good luck adapting your schedule to your new routine. Its always hard to find that perfect balance but I know you'll do it. How's Tommy feeling?

Michelle-How fun to enter a challenge at the gym. I hope you are paired with a partner who is well suited to everything. This may be exactly what you needed to reinspire you on the fitness journey. Its hard to keep your enthusiasm but I think you do t well and are very encouraging to others. Thanks. I wish Canton was a bit closer to here, we're still looking for a few players for the womens team I play on. I do 2 leagues. Womens on Wednesdays and Coed on Sundays. I like Womens better because its just for fun, but sometimes the coed shows you what you can do in the sport. I cant wait for the seasons to start in May.

Shelly-Welcome! I hope you find a "home" here.

Well, I'm gonna finish my coffee and meet my friend. I'll check in later to see what you're all up to.
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:15 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Good morning everyone.

Of course I am in for the next challenge. I wouldn't have it any other way. I am going to set my goal by trying to lose 2 lbs per week. I don't know if I can still see those number consistiently anymore. The pounds are coming off more slowly as I get smaller. Being morbidly obese did have its advantages in that the weight was apt to come off more quickly. I weigh in today at 173 lbs, would like to lose 12 by the end of the challenge and be at 161. Wow, I'd love to write 160 or even 159, be IN the 150's, but I'm just not sure if my body will allow it.

My WEED will be the same every day.

W - 8 - 10 glasses
E - lots, walking, dancing, sit ups, resistance band, leg work, arm work, stretching, etc.
E - 1200 calories
D - To remember just how IMPORTANT this is to me and that any sacrifices I may be making is so worth it. To remember that all my hard work is waaaay better then being morbidly obese.

Good luck to everyone.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:30 AM   #10  
Calorie Counter

Shelly welcome to the group!

Michelle, I had to do that a couple challenges ago. It woke me up. I started working out harder.

Labonita, I cant wait for that Healthy weight mark for me either.

Brandy, snow in April is great isn't it. (rolling my eyes) We had a little snow here yesterday (which is strange for us) then it got near 60 in the afternoon. It was beautiful, but snow in April??

Robin I have no doubt that you will get to your goal soon. You have changed your habits so much. I am so proud of you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DH was late last night so I didn't get to the gym. but I did walk about 3 or 4 miles yesterday so that was good. Tommy is feeling great, now we just have to get Makie better (his sample came back normal). Tommy did have trouble sleeping last night, I don't know what I am going to do with that boy.

My work started a 26 week wellness program yesterday. I got a cute pedometer and a journal to keep track of everything. So in order to set a good example I am going to make sure that I bring healthy food and snacks to work.

I also found out yesterday that I have to work this weekend (bummer too on easter) I called to let them now at the restraunt that I worked but they stil want me to work. {shaking my head} I want to fill in for them, but I don't know I am scheduled for 56 hours this week that would put me at over 60! I am going to swing in and talk to them (they got mad when I said I wasn't sure). We are working straight until the 23 from the sounds of it. good overtime, but exhasted jeni. Okay I gotta run I have too much to do.

Happy healthy day everyone!!!

W 80 oz
E 45 minutes
E 1400 cals
D general housework. get to the gym.
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:34 AM   #11  
Cowboy Fan 4 Life!

S/C/G: 248/236.6/140

Height: 5'0"

i'll join. I'll shoot for 5 lbs. maybe i should make my goals smaller til i get going. but i'll shoot for 5.
Holyteror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:38 AM   #12  

Yesterday was a good day. The weather was beautiful. I got out in the flower garden and did some cleaning up. I'm going to do a little at a time this year. I usually try and do it all in one day and then I can't move for the rest of the week. My legs and back are tender today, but at least I was able to get out of bed. I took the dog for a walk in the afternoon. The spring flowers are all in bloom. It's so pretty.

Guess what I had for dinner?? Yep, tilapia. We grilled it this time with some grilling spices. It wasn't too bad. I also put some asparagus, new potatoes and corn on the cob on the grill. I think there's 4 more meals of fish in the box.

Shelly- I look forward to seeing more post by you. This group has really helped me stay on program.

Michelle- Sounds like you will have plenty of motivation for get the exercise in. Is the gym offering up any prizes for the top points winners?

Jeni- Your job gives you alot of physical activity. Don't over do it by doing the restaurant job. Sound like they should put a Help Wanted sign in the window.
Glad to hear Tommy is better. What are Makie's symptoms? Do you think it's the same thing as Tommy had?

Brandy- Your weather in Michigan is the same as Ohio. My hubby's golf league starts on Thursday and it's suppose to be in the 30s and snow. I'm going to get outside again today and enjoy it while it lasts. I'm ready for the hot days of summer.
Good luck with your eating at bible study.

Robin- I'm in the same boat as you are. The 160s sounds wonderful. I did it before and I can do it again. Thanks for being here to help in the journey.

Today's WEED:

W-3-4 bottles of water
E- 30 minutes walking and more flower garden cleanup.
E- Healthy stuff
D- Enjoy the warm sun while we have it.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:43 AM   #13  
Cowboy Fan 4 Life!

S/C/G: 248/236.6/140

Height: 5'0"

lol gramma you crack me up with the tilapia LOL

question, why are we doing mother's day instead of memorial day??
Holyteror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:02 AM   #14  
a new me

S/C/G: 200/192/145

Height: 5'2"

Thumbs up

Ladies,
I'm back! WOW, I missed you all. My trip home was great, and I even managed to eat pretty much on plan while I was there. I had a few slip ups, but I planned for them throughout the day. So i didn't feel too bad. I even did well while we were driving, which is sooo hard. At any rate, I weighed in on Friday and was at 184.4. So I did meet my goal. Not too sure that I want to weigh in today after the weekend. For the next challenge I am going to set my goal at 172. That's 2lb per week. Last week I went through my closet and started trying on all sorts of too little clothes. It was nice to be able to get into some of them. People even noticed that I'd lost while I was at home, which is always nice. I went shopping too and got myself a cute t-shirt. My hubby commented on it when I got back. So another goal for me will be to stay encouraged even when I don't see the scale move. It's soo easy for me to get down when those numbers don't move. I guess it's the fear of not succeding which is a huge problem for me.
Enough rambling. Glad to see everyone is doing so well. Sounds like many of you did change some habits for the better and that's good. I'll have to catch up on personals later.

So mother's day it is. That would be nice to be down 12 lbs. My brother is getting married on 7/7 and I want to look fantabulous. So there's some motivation.

Catch up with you all this afternoon. I need to get a workout in. My body is craving it. Along with some fruit and veggies
W-64 oz
E-3 mile watp and 2 mile this evening
E-Portion control. Detox from the trip...fruits and veggies
D-Get laundry and housework DONE!
lovemacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:35 AM   #15  

Love- Glad you had a nice trip and didn't go completely off your program. Sounds like you did very well.

Well, I should weigh less. LOL I just got back from getting my hair all cut off. It was at my shoulder and I now have it as short as Jamie Lee Curtis. All my color is gone too. I was letting it grow out so I could get all the color cut off. I'm now a grey haired lady. Actually, it doesn't look too bad. It looks kinda frosted in a way. I have to get my drivers license renewed so I wanted to have my hair short for the photo since that's the way I usually wear my hair.