Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-28-2007, 07:16 PM   #1  
I'm on my *weigh*

S/C/G: 243/238/150

Height: 5'4"

Default CURVES *~* Love it or hate it? I'm thinking about joining...

Does anyone have any opinions of CURVES? I'm thinking about joining (have an appt on fri. to check them out) and would love to hear your opinions and experiences with them.

Thanks!
Homemommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am a Curves member and like it very much. I have been a member for 3 years and find it to be very beneficial along with dieting. I also find that they are not high pressure, they do not try to sell you something you do not want.As an example, I recently broke my shoulder when I called Curves they put my account on hold until I can come in again.I will not be charged during this time.I have experience with 3 different locations and they have all been positive, I cannot speak for other locations.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:52 PM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I've been through 3 Curves locations. I recently cancelled my membership because I just can't get there anymore. No one to watch the baby. But I miss it. I loved it. Even though I didn't care for the staff/policies at my first location, I STILL enjoyed the exercise and the way it's setup. It makes it really easy to get in a good workout and to not feel self-conscious like many people do in regular gyms. But its also very easy to fall into a lax mode and spend more time focusing on chatting than on the exercise. You just have to make sure you put your all into it in order to get what you need out of it.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/150/150

Default curves

It's a good program, I belonged for quite awhile, their hours weren't flexible enough for me. Now I belong to a gym thats open from 5am-10pm. hope this helps, any excereise you do will helps with the weight loss. Good luck
christabell3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:26 AM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

Yeah, I wish Curves was open longer, then I could go. But with hubby's job now, he's not home until after 6, sometimes later, every night. And Curves closes at 7:00.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:19 AM   #6  

I absolutely love Curves. I'm 65 and never thought I'd be able to exercise on machines. The ladies there have been a tremendous help and given me tons of encouragement. I've lost 11 pounds and 7 inches in 3 months and given the fact that I am hypothyroid, I am thrilled. I've started following the Curves 6WS diet plan and it is fantastic.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:17 PM   #7  
I'm on my *weigh*

Well, I had my meeting with curves today. I really liked what I saw and the director was so nice and super peppy. Plus as an added bonus she started out at the same weight (and our measurements were alike too...) as me and reached *my* goal in 4 months. YAY! Not to say I will definatly do it as fast... but it was so nice to talk to her , I walked away feeling very encouraged!

So Monday will be my first offical workout day.

I'm very excited about it!
Old 04-01-2007, 01:20 PM   #8  

Hi Homemommie,

I just joined Curves two weeks ago. I really love it so far and have gone eight times now (four times each week).

We have 24 Hour Fitness memberships too, used to go all the time, but since we moved it is hard to get over there (too far is our excuse). Curves is a four minute drive.

I love the variety of the workout and that you can put as much effort as you want into it. I was really sweating yesterday and kept my heart rate up. But even in week two, my heart rate is dropping so I can do more.

Also it is nice that everyone talks to one another and that members have before and after pictures up. At the regular gym, you don't know anyone's story. At Curves you can talk to the other members about their success and get tips, etc.

At first I was worried that I would join and not go, but with the minimal time involved, it is very easy to go for a workout.

Hours are somewhat limited. The last workout at my location is at 7:00 p.m. and they don't open until 7:00 a.m. But if they were open until 10:00 p.m. I would probably go home and sit down or eat, procrastinate and end up not going. Since they close at 7:30 I know I need to go home, change and get it done.

I see some very fit women working out there, they are very active on the recovery stations. I didn't think there would be "gym types" at Curves, but there are!

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Good luck!
Wiffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:54 PM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiffle View Post
I see some very fit women working out there, they are very active on the recovery stations. I didn't think there would be "gym types" at Curves, but there are!
Sometimes looks can be deceiving. I've had comments about why I was at Curves, because they didn't see the me before. At my last Curves location, there were a few of us (including the owner) who had all been over 200 pounds previously. I had lost my weight before Curves, so no one there knew me from before. They just see a normal sized gal coming in and giving the machines AND recovery stations all she's got. I kept getting the "I wish I had your energy" statement. And I'd respond with "I didn't use to have this energy until I lost weight."

We had a gal who had undergone gastric bypass and was working on her remaining weight. A teenager who's mom had her join with her. The girl was a stick. She was joining to build muscle, not lose weight.

There's all kinds of reasons people joining and a more diverse group than one might imagine.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:24 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostheaven View Post
There's all kinds of reasons people joining and a more diverse group than one might imagine.
Almostheaven, this is very true (in my limited two weeks experience).

When I had read up on Curves before joining, people were saying that Curves wasn't good enough if you were already in any kind of good condition. So, I expected that the people who looked like the "gym types" would graduate to 24 Hour Fitness or Lifetime Fitness or something with a little more perceived "oomph".

So far at Curves I have seen the aforementioned "gym types", older ladies, younger ladies, big, small, injured, etc. Just no men!
Wiffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:51 AM   #11  
Blonde Bimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiffle View Post
So far at Curves I have seen the aforementioned "gym types", older ladies, younger ladies, big, small, injured, etc. Just no men!
Ooooh, trust me. It's a coming. I also check in from time-to-time on a Curves forum that was posted at my last location. They have JUST this discussion going on. Men are pulling the discrimination card and signing up. They don't refuse them, the policy is NOT only to allow women, it's just geared toward women. But the discussion so far has shown that of the men at certain locations who HAVE bullied their way in with the discrimination threat...NONE of them have actually gone. Why they wanted to throw away money on a membership no one knows. Just to make a point??? ::sigh:: There was even talk about how if a man ever did come to a session, the ladies would all start talking about TOM, or something as equally embarrassing and see how long they'd stay. ROFL!
Old 04-03-2007, 10:51 PM   #12  
I'm on my *weigh*

I did my first curves workout on monday. I loved it! Here I thought I was getting in shape doing my exercise dvd's and walking.. but whoa those machines worked out some muscles that apparently I hadnt touched yet. LOL! I've going again in the morning. YAY!!

After our w/o we went to thr track and walked a mile. We plan to do the same tomorrow too. Hopefully this is just the kick in the pants we (my mom and I .. along with my daughter and gma) need to stay with it.

I cant wait to see what the scales and tape measure say at the end of the month.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:30 AM   #13  

I belonged to curves for a couple years. It was great when I was first starting to work out. I loved the program and the great people I met there.

I ended up quitting last year because the price was quite expensive. I joined at Bally's for 1/2 the price of curves. Also after a while I was interested in lifting heavier weights and curves machines are not adjustable.
Valerie Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #14  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

I joined Curves a little over a month ago, and like it very much. So far it's good that I don't know anyone there well enough to chat with, 'cause it definitely would be difficult to try to chat and work out hard
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:21 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 240/223/150

Height: 5'6"

I joined last month... I gotta say it is a great program if you're not ready for a "regular" gym... this has helped me get back into it and I like that I don't have to think of what I need to do, it's already there for you...

I also follow their diet and in a month I've lost 18 lbs and an 1" from everywhere...

eventually I may move on to a normal gym but for now, I love it!
Erica823 is offline   Reply With Quote