Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 04-01-2007, 05:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/205/135

Height: 5'4"

Default What can you do for a double chin

RIght now its pretty bad but even at my skinny weight its still there and pretty obvious? IS there anything that can be done for that? After the weight loss?
silverose1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:28 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

This is JMHO.

There's an exercise that I do which I know has helped me. Kissing the ceiling. Yep.

Bring your head up to the ceiling and kiss it stretching your lips as much as you can (you'll feel your chin and neck pull) do this SLOWLY!!!! as you don't want to hurt your neck. Then lower your chin back down and repeat. Do this as much as you can a few times a day.... you can do it anywhere, like watching TV, sitting on the toilet just don't do it while your driving lol.

Also turn your head to the right and do a few and turn your head to the left and do a few, so you are stretching all sides of our neck/chin (remember slowly, don't hurt yourself).

Does this make sense ???

Well in any case, I believe it helped me.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:39 AM   #3  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I do something similar (altho I'm totally going to have to say Excuse me while I kiss the sky and try this!) Stretch your neck out tighten the muscles and stick your tongue out sounds silly but it works!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:31 AM   #4  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

You can also, of course opt for sugerical intervention (which I am not advocating for or against, merely pointing out). Lipo of the chin area and/or I think that they also do a chin lift.
But if you can exercise/weight loss it away then that is an obvious better solution.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default new treatment for double chin

Chicks, I did have a face lift which included lopping off my double chin. I lost 80#s and there was no way to get rid of the excess cuz I carry so much weight in my face and I especially hated my double chin. I am still paying for it, but it was so worth it. (am here with you all cuz I have gained 17 #s back from my low weight)

I have read two different accounts now, though, of a much simpler liposuction technique for double chins with a much smaller cannula (sp?)..it's the little tube they stick in and suck fat with...and, I think this one involves laser, too........anyway, the really important part is to have a great plastic surgeon, which I did....you don't want to go just anywhere. Mary
maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:22 PM   #6  

look into thermage. No, I have not done it and am only a bit familiar with it....its sort of like the new modern day lift withought undergoing the knife! It may not be suitable in all cases, check around and research, find a certified plastic surgeon (always) even with no surgery.....get referralls. Talk to your doc to find out if the procedure would benefit you, from what I understand, the lift is subtle and I surely do not know all the details though it is the current new rage! A good plastic surgeon can analyze your case and make the best recommendations. Perhaps even a combo of lipo with thermage, etc. Maryblu, I read about that, the smaller cannula, etc. yessssssssss. wow ha? amazing how they are advancing on techniques. Apparently, the traditional lipo left dimples (from scar tissue forming after lipo) but with a finer cannula the results (or so they claim) are much smoother. I bet the laser your talking about involves the thermage or even the newer technique! Don't know the name? Even if we never do these things, its just nice or comforting knowing the procedures are there somehow, without undergoing any cutting. As for the exercise techniques you ladies mentioned, cool! thanks : )
FullSteamAhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:52 PM   #7  

Wow..I have heard about teh exercised for your chin but really did not think they would work. But I did have a friend that lost about 80 pounds and she did some of that type stuff and said it helped...She does not have a double chin but I did not know her before she lost weight. I will givethese a try. How often should you do them? ANyway kow of any research on this? I would prefer to not do surgery but we shall see.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:06 AM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Silverose, I lost 150 lbs and with the help of these exercises by the time I reached goal, I did not have a double chin. But you know everyone carries weight so differently. I had such a porky face, turned up nose and you could barely see my eyes before I lost that weight.

I gained about 100 lbs back but am on the losing side again. I remember doing those exercises at least 2 X a day. It really is an effortless exercise and like I said you can do it anywhere (just not driving lol). I do them now every time I think about it and mostly thats when I have alone time in the bathroom LOLOL sounds silly but it works for me.

Give it a try.... what have you got to lose

But !!!! I want to say this. It took me 1 1/2 years to lose the weight I mentioned above, so it does take time.

Good luck, I hope this helps you.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Hey Pookie oookie bo bookie

Yes, turn your head (to the right or left) and then gently look up and kiss the ceiling, bring your chin back down and look strait. Repeat..... remember do this gently (can't stress that enough). You'll feel the skin under your ear stretch (oposite side you are stretching).

Old 04-02-2007, 07:41 PM   #10  

I wish I could see some pics of this exercise.. Now asking you to post pics of yourself but are there any online pics?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:05 AM   #11  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hi Ladies:
Pookie Anytime is a Good Time for Jimmy!
When I do Mine I face forward, I think Leens Works a slightly different part of the Muscles there so SUPERSET!
Ok back to the salt mines!
Kierie
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:10 AM   #12  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Yes Pookie, thats right.

Do it 3 ways, front, left and then right.

Silver, just sit in a chair, bring your chin up to the sky and kiss it relax and do it again.