Old 03-31-2007, 06:31 AM   #1  
Rooster

S/C/G: 237/233/180

Height: 5'11"

Default 30 Somethings Chat - Weekend March 31/April 1

You know, getting first post is easy without having to compete with RR. I'm starting to miss that friendly rivalry.

After so many straight days of walking, I missed a day. Between a hair appointment and wanting to get out of work a little early, I didn't take my lunchtime walk. In fact, I didn't even get to get off early and actually ended up leaving 45 minutes later! And no treadmill last night either because I just wanted to start to wind down. Anytime I started to think about work I consciously told myself to forget about it.

I guess I can take comfort in knowing that I didn't eat poorly or too much (I don't think -- I REALLY need to start calorie counting again. :P)

So, I was talking with my mom last night and it sound like my parents are going to come and visit with us while I'm on vacation next week. DW and I are very happy they've decided to do that since we do enjoy seeing them once and a while. Don't know what we'll end up doing, but I'm sure we'll figure something out if the weather is nice.

I've got a model train show in 2 weeks that me and another couple guys are exhibiting at. We're REALLY not ready at this point, but with my week off and a long weekend coming up we're confident that we can get things to a point where at least the trains are running. Things may not look beautiful, but it's probably more important that the trains do run...

So....that Hair Appointment actually turned into me checking off 40 Before 40 list -- and that's "Dye My Hair". Okay, not totally dye but I got highlights. First time chemicals have EVER touched my hair in my almost 33 years on the planet. And for the first time in a LOOOOONG time....I actually looked in the mirror and thought. "Wow. Not too bad." Won't do it all the time, and definitely only in the sunny months, but I think I like it.

Something that I'm going to try and do this week is get the DW and myself out to a maple sugar shack for some fresh maple syrup and a pancake dinner. It's something that I've never done despite the fact that I live deep in maple syrup country.

GG:
ACTUALLY it wasn't the good weather that's been kicking my butt to get outside and walk. It's been my stress level! I just needed to get away from my desk and exercise off some of the huge frustrations. As you said - it can boost your mood and I'm convinced that between walks, coffee in the AM and Chai in the PM, that's the only way I got through this last week. (And, no, things DON'T look to be any better when I get back but I'm not going to focus on that.)

Oh yeah....pizza. One Slice? Somehow that seems wrong. But good for you on your self control! Much like my cookie comment yesterday, when I'm dealing with pizza, the only time "one" is associated with "pizza" is when you're talking about "whole" -- as in "one whole pizza". I loooooooooove pizza. *sighs*

Sheila:
As much as I REALLY don't practise what I preach, it's really important to focus on what you DIDN'T do than what you DID. I think most people (but not all) respond better to positive reinforcement. I know if I feel bad about something I ate, it makes me unhappy. And I eat to make myself feel better. And then I feel bad that I ate it. So I eat to make myself feel better... See the bad repetition? If after I ate something and I knew it was bad, I told myself, "Okay, you shouldn't have done that -- but it could have been worse. Let's just try not to do it again, eh?" So, be proud of yourself that you didn't eat the whole bag. Besides, one or two isn't a bad thing. Everything is fine *IN MODERATION*. That's where most of us go wrong, I think. I don't want 1 slice of pizza, I want 1 whole pizza. And that's just not right. We're all closet Jugheads, I think.

"My daughter got her new glasses she asked me mom do I look like a grandma when I put them down on my nose still?" HAHAHAHAHHA. I remember doing that as a kid? We had a fuzzy white "wig" (I think my mom made it out of that fun fur stuff) and I use to put that on, get a stick and perch my glasses at the end of my nose and call everyone sonny! I was such a ham as a kid -- then I grew up and became self conscious. Blah. To be innocent and carefree again.

Melinda:
You know it's sad when you measure the size of your town by which fast food outlets you have. In our case, it's always about what stores are here AND how many Tim Hortons you have per block. (for those of you who don't know, Timmies is a Canadian Coffee shop - nay, a Canadian *tradition* - not fancy like Starbucks. Much more blue coller -- they server _coffee_. Not tall skinny soy mocha latte frappachinos with sprinkles. ) ALL THAT BEING SAID and it sounds like Kalamazoo might even be a little bigger than where I'm from here in Saint John, NB.

Wife is doing just fine now with her thyroid. The key thing about her hyperthyroid was that she was loosing hair to the point of developing bald spots. That was what concerned her and took her to the doctor. Since all the corrections have taken place, her hair is a luscious as ever though she notices when she starts loosing more and then goes to see the doctor. It's all good - so it's just time for you. If it doesn't pick up in a month's time, though, you'll probably want to see the doctor again. Maybe you're not getting enough/getting too much -- if you're just getting on the meds, then you'll probably be fine tuning your dose for a bit.

Christina:
My thoughts, based on personal experience -- I'm NOT a doctor.

It's definitely possible that you're tired because you're not getting enough to eat! Food is the fuel that makes the body go. It's also possible to be eating the wrong stuff -- bad fuel makes the body sluggish as well. Take "raw" sugar - like a candy bar - that'll give you a real quick energy burst but you'll crash when you come down. Best energy boosters are your carbs. Unfortunately, if you eat too many of those and aren't exercising, the body will happily store them for when you "may need them".

Two things which will energize you: balanced, regular diet AND exercise. It sounds counter intuitive but if you DO exercise, you'll actually feel more energized and a GOOD tired. Not just sluggish.

Tammy:
Who could forget that commercial, like, ever?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY0Ecn393qI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpD2B8J6ygE

Kerri:
Aw, thanks for wondering. I sometimes take a break from posting but I'm always reading. You guys are too great to be away from for too long. "Hey, maybe they'll burn the place down while you're gone." I actually read this yesterday afternoon while at work and actually laughed out loud. We're always joking about what we're doing will cause something to catch fire or to 'watch for the mushroom cloud'. We're such goofs sometimes.

Hanna:
Which nickname? 'Rooster' or 'RXZephyr'? ROOSTER seems appropriate for a guy amongst all the chicks.

OH YEAH! This reminded me: "don't stress over things not being finished before you leave on vacation" I _didn't_ get things done before I left. Things changed *again* and I ran into more difficulties with things outside of my control. But guess what? I didn't care anymore. Wahahahaha. 9 days until I have to care again.

Okay ladies, my presence is being requested in the kitchen to make French Toast this morning. I hope everyone has a great day!

Stay happy, stay focused and stay on program!

:Lawrence
RXZephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

woohoo..morning rooster. Glad to see you are back on a steady basis.
Christina - so how did you feel when you ate more...good for you. Sounds like you did well yesterday.
Morning all else. I have to work today..ugghh. I work every other sat. It gets tiring sometimes..but oh well. That's part of being a vet. Then after work i'm going out to a friends house to do some work on her horse..so i prob won't get home until 5ish. Then i'm planning to watch my gators in the final 4 tonight..and btw..last night..ughhh did horrible eating at the party..but oh well...back on corse today. bye all
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:55 PM   #3  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

Height: 5'7"

Good Morning 30's!!
Zephyr-- Man am I jealous!!! You're talkin maple syrup here and I'm stuck at school.
Report cards on Monday So that has to get done before I leave. Now I'm going to obsess about pancakes all day and the fact that I live not deep in maple syrup country but deep in ...umm... buffalo country??

GG -- Have a great day at work!!

After my marks are done we have game two of our soccer tournament. Lost last night, but it was a good game. Maybe I'll score a goal. Haha okay, maybe I'll just try to get through the game without an injury.

Anyhoo, everyone have a restful weekend!!
Tam
greeneggsandtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:35 PM   #4  

good morning...almost afternoon everyone...i did great yesterday...felt great yesterday....im startng out slow so far today but i am going to get it together and have a great day to day also...

i hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend...i will try to check in later gotta go shopping now...have a good one
Christina S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:39 PM   #5  

My goodness! I am so busy; it's not even funny. I had a bad eating day yesterday, so, I went out and bought a kitchen scale with grams. I thought I was going to die when I saw some of the prices. I bought the inexpensive one. The expensive one was up around $100. If it actually cooked my food for me I would think about spending the extra on it.
I also bought a little calorie counting book to keep in my purse so I have NO excuse. I guess my biggest realization was something I read in the book. It's the Calorie FAT and Carb counter from CalorieKing. (Can I say that on here since I believe he is a competitor?) heehee, Anyway! It said the actual weight of pre-packaged food is usually 5 - 10% more than the weight on the package! I did not know this. I am not eating that much prepackaged anything since starting my new lifestyle but Cripes!! Now I am obsessed with seeing how much everything weighs. LOL I only had an analog scale in ozs previous to this. It's a whole new world... one where I actually get to eat MORE because I am not guessing how much I can eat and then cutting back a little.
Aside from that, I am working at the moment. I know I work overnights, but I switch it up on the weekends to cover for others. I think if you are extra nice, God should let you be extra skinny because you deserve it. Then how many people would be overweight? NONE! It would be a utopian society. Now I just need to figure out who to approach to impliment this epiphany!

Rooster:
Nice to meet you. Do you have a lot of model trains? My son is in LOVE with trains. Well, I say "in love" what I mean is obsession. I bought him a model railroading magazine a year ago and he just stares at it every night before bed.
As far as the highlights go, I am impressed. LOL I bet they look fantastic. My DH, who is a HUGE comic book fan, dyed his hair with semi permanent for a Halloween party. he dyed it black... he was a little bummed when I told him it probably wasn't going to come out. The look was too important!
grapecoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:53 PM   #6  

good luck on your game greeneggs
Hey there grapecoffee...weighing really does help. hope work went well

Today was bad for me. I had a very long chaotic work day and then right at closing (2pm) i had an emergency c-section on a dog. So i had no lunch and i broke down..had one of the tech's run and get me McD's (about the only thing in this podunk town). And i broke down and had a coke. Man i've resisted all week. I was on day 6. Oh well. But boy do i feel crappy from the bad lunch and coke. It goes to show you how much eating right can make you feel good. Oh well...back to the no coke thing and def. avoid mcD's. Hopefully in a little while we'll take the dog to the park to play. Hope everyone else is well...bye
Old 03-31-2007, 05:39 PM   #7  
sheila

S/C/G: 198/164/125

Height: 5 ft even

Good Afternoon Everyone~

It has been a very busy day for me. We have been doing some spring cleaning. You would never have known we had a blizzard or anything. The sun is shinning it is 45 above Heat wave. My eating went well I however did have two beers last night but that is a rare thing so I didn't feel too bad.

Rooster: The glasses thing is too funny. You sound so busy . I love reading your posts they are so inspiring. As far as the eating thing I read you loud and clear. I will eat it then feel terriable for eating it. I have been doing so much better than I used to. Have a great weekend....

GG: Hey don't beat yourself up over McDonalds. You know I only order kids meals there when i have the cravings. Believe it or not it has worked. My doc told me if you try and chew each bite at least 20 times you will eat less, ya I believe it. One coke for the week! Great job! Most people can't even go that long.

Everyone if I missed you sorry I will catch up to you all. have a great weekend and hopefully your weather is bright and sunny!!!!!!!!!

sheila
sheila1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:26 PM   #8  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Hi All,

OK, I give up on trying to catch up...sorry. I just can't seem to sit here long enough uninterrupted to catch up.

Sheila, I don't wanna hear the word "blizzard", or anything related to it until at least December 2007!!

GG, Glad you're feeling like crap after LOL!! J/K...lesson learned, right?

Veronica, You just reminded me that I have a calorie counter book around here somewhere...should find it. We don't like to advertise the competition, but most people round here know about them. FYI, 3FC also has a nutritional database.

Christina, Glad all is going well for you!

Tam,

RX, Yeah, RR needs to come back out of the woodwork! You ARE going to post pics of the new 'do, right?

OK, I'm off for now!
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 264/149.4/140

Height: 5'8

hello everyone!
I posted this long response yesterday and something went wrong said I wasnt logged in when I was and I lost it. Soo frustrating.
Just wanted to say hi and have a good weekend to all. I am gonna try to read the posts but I feel like I would have to take notes to keep up!! Between my job, my kids and step kids and their activities etc...I don't know how I'd have to time for the daily posting but I will try to every once in a while!
NOT doing good at all food wise, but will try to start counting calories like others have mentioned. That always works for me when I keep good track of it. Looking forward to reporting a loss next week on the Memorial Day challenge!!
Laura
loganandlivsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:55 PM   #10  

lol at lbh...yes most def. lesson learned..will think twice before doing that
laura...if you ever get a message like that again..here's what i do (that usually happens to me on my work computer but not home puter). I just hit the back button and it will show your typed message. I then copy the whole message (just like you would do in word perfect)...then log in and paste your copied response in again. That works for me every time. Hope that it works for you...good luck
hey there sheila..yea spring cleaning.

okay t minuse 50 minus to tip off of the flordia game...just killing time until bb starts. Talk to you laters.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:36 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 240ish/240ish/160

Height: 5'2"

Hi, all

I was pretty busy at work today and alone (ie no tech to run to McDs ). So, busy I had to reheat my dang lunch 3 times. I finally gave up and ate it cold. It's one of the things I cannot stand about my job. No lunch breaks. There is a growing number of hungry/ exhausted pharmacists who might just insist on the pharmacy closing for lunch. I know some companies do, but not nearly enough. I mean doctor's offices close! Why can't we. We need down time too!!!! TEN hours no break, barely could pee. AAARRRRGGGGHH!!

Ok, I am better. Sorry, just frustrated today. Otherwise in a pretty good mood for once.
Couple of exciting things happening:
#1: Opening day is tomorrow for my dear Cardinals. WOOHOOO. Love the killing time till bb comment, GG.
#2: DH is coming to see me!!! He will be here Thursday. He is driving his motorcycle (loves the drive), so keep him in your thoughts and/or prayers this week. He leaves AZ on Monday. It has been 2 months since we've seen each other. I can't wait. Oh, and he's bringing my doggie too. Yes, on the motorcycle. Yippee!!

BTW - I can't remember who posted about the thyroid meds, but they do come in one lower strength than 0.05mg. They also come in 0.025mg. Just FYI in case you need to go down. Hang in there to the hypo people. It will get better. Here is my thyroid story: Had all symptoms of hypo (hair falling out, cold, dry skin, tired, etc). Went to MD (endocrinologist). He actually said to me, "So, you think you're hypo because you can't lose weight, right?) before he even examined me or ran tests. I wanted to punch him. I have been heavy since puberty. Wasn't blaming my thyroid...only myself and my big mouth. When he did exam, he could feel my thyroid was enlarged. Did an ultrasound....I had a freaking cyst on the thing!! HMMMM....not all fat people are looking for thyroid meds to lose weight. Maybe there is something wrong. No apology from the MD, but he did look kinda sorry.

Grapecoffee - Boy you are more organized than I will ever be. I can hardly cook the dang food, much less take an extra step to measure. And I can't seem to remember to log what I eat. I even have a plam pilot that would help. Heck I can barely remember to put appts and phone #s in it!!! Good for you!!!!

Rx - it's amazing how much better you can feel if you look good. My DH is always after me to look nice (not in a mean way). I tend to be very frumpy, no makeup, no hairdo, shabby clothes, no jewelry. But if I listen to him and do my makeup and hair, put on some bling, and decent clothes, I actually say....hmm I kinda look pretty today. Gives me a whole day of confidence. And I totally here you on the eating delima. I am the exact same. Food is my blankee. Hope the weather cooperates for your vacation!!!

Well, I am starving so I will go make some dinner. Will check in later.

Kerri

PS - Where are you Joan?? How's the house coming?
newFannie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:10 PM   #12  

newfannie..that does sux. I don't always get a lunch either...but at leat 60% of the week i at least get a 5-20 min lunch. Sorry to hear that...and btw..love "killing time" here. but unbelievably happy here..my team just made it to national champ game...go gators.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:10 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/195/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi all

Just a quick check in to say hi. This has been a very busy week. And I feel like all I did today was eat. Nice to drop in and read how everyone is doing.

Have a great weekend.
Clover2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:21 PM   #14  

WOOHOO for the gators!!!!
Old 03-31-2007, 11:25 PM   #15  

Oops...hit submit before I was finished. Sorry to hear about your lunch woes too, GG. I know most of us in the medical profession never get a real lunch or break. Even the MDs are usually working through their lunch. Just a little ranting and raving....
Still haven't eaten. I get sucked into this internet!!!! Must eat now. I know it's late, but I am sooooo hungry.