Old 03-29-2007, 11:30 AM   #1  
Losin' it forever!

Default Health Questions

Hi ladies,

I guess I'm just wondering and want to know if anyone else knows or has had any experience.

First question: I currently have sleep apnea and use a CPAP. There is a very good chance that as my weight diminishes that I will no longer have sleep apnea, right?

Second question: I take Zoloft for horrible PMS. Is it possible that my horrible PMS could be caused by weight as well and I might "outgrow" it with weight loss?

Thanks!
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

1) Yes, sleep apnea symptoms decrease and/or disappear substantially w/ weight loss. My mom used to have it and has lost 80 lbs and it's not an issue anymore.

2) I don't *think* PMS is worse in overweight people, I've never heard that correleation.. I could certainly be wrong though. All I know is I've ALWAYS had horrible, "im gonna strangle someone or suffocate myself" PMS, and it didn't get worse when I put on all my weight.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:54 PM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

The sleep apnea should definitely get better with wt. loss.

As for the PMS my Dr. told me it was correlated to my obesity. (But, then he told me all my ailments were because of my obesity). I had a hysterectomy before I lost the wt. so I really don't know the answer.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:29 PM   #4  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I had a hysterectomy in 2005 due to multiple uterine fibroids and a history of ovarian cancer in my family. The latest research has revealed that uterine fibroids are a symptom of too much estrogen in a woman's body. My doctors have advised me that I was estrogen dominant and most likely had this condition for years. In addition to the fibroids, too much estrogen can lead to infertility, depression, irritability, severe PMS... and....weight gain! And, some extra estrogen is stored in our fat cells! Losing the weight can lower the amount of estrogen in our body and ease the depression and PMS symptoms. I had problems with infertility. Both times I got pregnant were after I had been dieting and working out for 2-3 months. I have noticed that, when the weight is dropping consistently, I do have to alter my hormone therapy to account for the hormone fluctuations. Also, simple things such as too much sugar in our diets or too many additives and preservatives can all contribute to fluctuations in all of our hormones...so, eating a healthier diet in general can help ease depression and PMS.

Regarding the sleep apnea, I've heard that losing weight can often help ease this condition.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:48 PM   #5  
Losin' it forever!

Thanks, girls! Can't wait to not have to sleep with an elephant man mask on my face!

I always had a bit of PMS moodiness, but then about three years ago, it got really bad with constant weepiness/irritability up to a week and a half before my period would start. I would just love to be free of zoloft one day, but I guess time will tell!
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:58 PM   #6  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Lake Girl, My sister lost a lot of weight with gastric bypass surgery and it cured her sleep apnea. From what I have read/heard, that is quite common.

I've no idea about the PMS though.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote