General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 12:16 PM   #1  
Yee Haw!

S/C/G: 278/220/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Childhood Obesity: Danger Zone

Food Network is having a special on 3/31 about childhood obesity.

Childhood Obesity: Danger Zone

Obesity—it's the fastest growing cause of disease and death in our country, and it's attacking more than 12 million of our children. The Food Network goes to the front lines of the childhood obesity epidemic to find out what's fueling the explosion in overweight children and teenagers and what parents, teachers, doctors and public officials are doing to fight a problem the U.S. Surgeon General calls "more serious" than terrorism. While weight is the last thing most overweight teenagers want to talk about, we profile a 500–pound 18-year-old who's become a radio celebrity speaking candidly about his own struggle with obesity and his last-ditch effort to finally get his weight under control. We travel to Arkansas where governor Mike Huckabee has turned a personal weight battle into a public policy initiative designed to target at-risk children. We also meet an inspirational 14-year-old whose dramatic diet and lifestyle changes reversed his obesity-related disease. We learn how one Connecticut doctor is fighting back against unhealthy food by teaching kids how to become "supermarket spies" and "nutrition detectives." Finally, we visit a New Jersey school that transformed a budget cut into a student exercise opportunity, and a professional chef who's turning school lunch in Cambridge, Mass., into a healthy dining experience.

AIR TIMES:
March 31- 9:00 PM ET
April 01- 12:00 AM ET
April 07- 5:00 PM ET
April 08- 6:00 PM ET
Old 03-27-2007, 02:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the "heads up" on this program. One of my children is an obese nineteen year old and I am always trying to encourage him to change his lifestyle to no avail. I hate to be on his case about this all the time but I don't know what else to do. I think his biggest problem is an obsession with video games and just plain overeatting. He is away at college and I am sure the endless availability of high fat goodies in the food plan is no help. I feel it is up to him to get serious and make a change but it is very difficult to watch him grow bigger every year.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:05 AM   #3  

Height: 5'6"

My school does things to improve our health. Like taking out the soda machines when the contract ends...and taking out the line with all the french fries, pizzas, etc.

Except how does this go over with everyone? Everyone gets really pissed off (most of the kids) because they say that if the kids don't get the junk at school they'll get it at home...and that if someone wants to get junk food, they'll find a way. (And also...because they only allow the junk food on Wednesdays, there are two boys who buy candy and poptarts and sell it for profit at school...a dollar for 2 poptarts...Now how is that any better? Now junk food is MORE accesible than before).

So let the restaurants keep serving their dishes, and the fast fast food chains keep selling...and let the schools have their junk foods and sodas. Society didn't make us buy the food. It's our decision what goes in our mouths.

Kids WILL find a way to get junk food if they want it. And the more you deprive a person of what they want the more they'll indulge on it when they can.

However, I don't buy sodas at school or get school lunch, and I'm 245 pounds, definitely obese. It's all wonderful to try and improve health...but for me, the schools aren't what needs to be improved that much.

It's the fast food chains and restaurants that are a big factor in my weight, and the fact that no one knows the nutrition in their meals at restaurants. And lots of people don't look at the calories in what they buy.

People HAVE to be more aware of themselves in our society, and it has to the concious effort of the individual moreso than society. Society SHOULD help us out...at least give up the information. We'll look at it. Then it's OUR decision from there on out that will be blamed.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:24 PM   #4  
Yee Haw!

S/C/G: 278/220/130

Height: 5'4"

At my daughters school they dont have soda machines. Instead they have ones with juice, water and gatorade. They do have snack machines. They are only allowed to buy something at their afternoon break. Not during lunch. They also dont have choices at lunch. One menu is prepared and thats it.

She was at a different school a couple years ago. The kids were allowed to bring snacks from home daily and allowed to purchase from the school one day a week. She always took baby carrots and dip, string cheese or something similar. Well we were in a rush one morning and I put a chocolate snack size pudding in her backpack. The teacher refused to let her eat it saying they only allowed healthy snacks at school. The next day they were allowed to buy snacks. What kind of items were they selling? Sodas, chips, candy bars and candy! Yeah thats healthy!!

Another teacher told her she would need to bring a better lunch to school. What did she have in her lunchbox? Baby carrots and dip, string cheese, yogurt tube and either milk or a yahoo snack box. The reason the teacher was mad is because my daughter didnt have a sandwich to eat!
Closed Thread