Old 03-27-2007, 04:28 PM   #1  
Losin' it forever!

Default Is this normal?

I KNOW I'm losing inches...I can tell that in my clothes...however, my scale is refusing to budge and it seems way too early in the game for that to be happening. Is this normal? It surely can't be a plateau after less than twenty pounds!
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:32 PM   #2  

How long has the scale been the same? I don't know about a plateau, but for me, it isn't unusual for my body to hold it's own for a couple of weeks, and then suddenly I'll lose a lot at once. I never really consider that a plateau since it only lasts a couple of weeks, and then it's like I lose 2 weeks' worth of weight suddenly.
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:45 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Kimberly, just how long are we talking here?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:31 PM   #4  
Losin' it forever!

When I first started changing eating habits in January, the numbers up to like the nine pound loss mark were pretty consistant with a pound or two a week. Since adding exercise over the last six weeks, it seems to be going much slower. I hit 297 about a week and a bit ago..checked my weight on Monday morning and I had dropped maybe two tenths of a pound, and then today, it had shot up to 299! So, I guess the scale moved but in the wrong direction!

Maybe I'm just being impatient and need to stop being a slave to the scale, but curiosity always gets the best of me!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:47 PM   #5  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Kimberly, I think you are just being impatient. A week and a half is way too short a time to say it's a plateau.

By the way, my scale is all over the place and has been since day 1. It's never been anything unusual for my weight to be up a pound, down three pounds, up four pounds, down five pounds within the course of a couple of weeks. So don't fret about that upswing. As long as the overall movement is down that's all that matters.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:02 PM   #6  
Losin' it forever!

Thanks. I'm sure you're right. It's funny that most days I am very content with how I feel as opposed to anything the stupid scale has to say and then I hit a patch of impatience...wanting to get into the 280s...wanting to get to that 20 pound mark. I know it is going to take time, but when the scale decides to shoot up a couple of pounds just for the heck of it, it gets me a little twisted!
Old 03-27-2007, 11:04 PM   #7  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I understand completely. That's why I'm "practicing maintenance" for a few weeks - to get the focus off of the scale for a while.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:20 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Sometimes our bodies need some adjusting to the weightloss. It kinda doesn't know what to do with this new life we're providing for it. But have no fear it will adjust. I know it's hard, but you've got to give it a little more time. If you get to the 3 week mark with no downward movement, and really I doubt if that will happen, then it will be time to perhaps do some tweaking, but I really don't think it will come to that. My scale also fluctuates with those same 2 lbs, back and forth, back and forth. Hang in there, it's soooo worth it. As long as you are sticking to your plan the scale will DEFINITELY move downward. DEFINITELY. Hang tight and stick with it. We're here for you to help you get past this.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

What Robin said!

Seriously, one of the biggest lessons we have to learn is not to let the fluctuations get to us. It's perfectly normal and part of the process.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

One thing that happens with me is when I get on the scale the morning after a hard workout my scale is up, not too sure why, so I don't get on the scale days when I know it may be up. Or if I do I get on it to see how much higher it will be. I lose SO SO slowly, I thought because I have so much to lose that I'd be losing so much faster, no luck there. My body just loses slowly when things aren't 100% perfect with my diet, and 150% perfect with water. Don't know if this could be the same issue you are dealing with, but definitely stick it out, SO worth it!!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:32 AM   #11  
Losin' it forever!

Thanks, ladies. The support here is incredible! I felt a little stupid whining about this so early! Like swimgirl, I just expected things to go faster because I have so much to lose and I guess my forty year old body isn't interested in fast.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:56 AM   #12  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I think you have gotten some great advice here so far...but would you want to post a couple days of a sample diet and include your water and exercise.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:00 AM   #13  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Kimberly, this happens to me occasionally, and in the past I would basically throw in the towel and declare it's not working. But there are so many factors that go into that number on the scale... TOM, pre-TOM, high sodium, not enough water, strenuous exercise, not enough exercise, not enough food, too much food... and I'm sure many more.

I would give it another week and then see. If you are in fact on a plateau, there are many things you can tweak with your program. But don't fret! We can do this!
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:15 AM   #14  
Losin' it forever!

Sandy, I'm going to give it another week and see what happens and if I'm still having issues, I'll give you a food/water/exercise sample.

Tiffany, thank you! I keep reminding myself that we are at nearly the same point and you're right! We'll do this thing!