Old 03-23-2007, 02:12 PM   #1  

Unhappy Advice please... newbie to the forum

Hi all, well I'm newbie to the forum so I'm not entirely sure how the whole thing works yet, but I'm sure I'll catch on soon. I've been on the program for almost 9 months now and should have met my goal a long time ago. I'm on the purple plan w/o lites due to medical issues.

I am finding it difficult to keep going as according to my COD I should have reached my goal by week 19 and am now around week 36 . I'm not entirely sure what I am doing wrong and the girls at my COD aren't being entirely helpful.

I recently had what I am terming a "mental meltdown" because my stress levels are way too high (tax season and I work as an accountant). I took a day and a half off of work and in that time unfortunately slipped off plan and gained 5lbs. The counselor I saw for my first WI this week was pretty much unsympathic and basically gave me total crap for going off plan. In my efforts to get back on track I have been doing LA express (I think you guys call it FF, but I'm not sure) for the last 2 days.

I was back down 2 lbs this morning when I went for my WI which was really good, but I'm concerned cuz I can't seem to get my self past the 155lbs mark. I've been up and down consistently for the last 3 months and my COD is not really helping much for the motivation side of things (one girls even went so far as to admit that about half their clients never reach their goals... so totally not helping my cause of finding new motivation... and to boot, she said that I probably won't receive my money back either cuz I didn't reach my goal in the 19 weeks).

I'm hoping some of you might have some advice as to what I might need to do to get past that mark. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Stephie404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:25 PM   #2  
LAWL Salt Police

Hang in there Steph..

Stress is a major problem for those of us with weight problems.. Stress not only makes it harder for our bodies to lose, but that problem is compounded when we make the mistake of stress eating. Add to that the problems of losing the weight we gain when we go off plan because we usually end up eating the stuff we're not supposed to.

If you're dedicated to getting back on plan, plan your menus around the lighter proteins and starches. The best way to do that is have your counselor point those out in your plan book the next time you go in.. Basically, stuff like chicken and turkey are lighter, while beef and pork are heavier.. When you're done with your FF/LA Express, avoid eating the heavier starches and proteins for a couple days to maximize effectiveness.

Pleateaus are unfortunately a fact of nature when it comes to dieting, especially when you get really close to your final goal. It takes a lot of determination and will power to go that exta bit more..

Also, now while tax time is coming to its climax, try to make sure you do things to decompress that don't involve food, even the good foods.. Too much of a good thing is still too much, if you know what I mean.

Keep posting here in the LA Losers and Friends thread to bounce off idea and questions, and stuff like that.. We specialize in mindless banter which can help you decompress and help keep you focused!!

Oh.. And if you feel you're not being counselled (sp?) correctly, arrange to speak with the manager about your concerns.. They're supposed to be supportive, but also firm with their admonishions if we conciously stray off plan.. However, that's no excuse to be unsympathetic or caring. They're there to help keep us on plan, not turn us off to it...

Stay strong!

Last edited by Dan2112; 03-23-2007 at 03:33 PM.
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:46 PM   #3  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Welcome!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:48 PM   #4  
Kris

S/C/G: 260.8/248.8/180

Height: 5'8"

Welcome!
I too am an accountant working on losing the weight while trying to survive tax season. This board has been a tremendous help to my stress level and my sanity. It has been good to be able to find people struggling with some of the same issues I have and read their creative solutions.

Visit often and keep your eyes on the prize!

Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Hi Stephie and Welcome!

I'm not an accountant, but I am a paralegal doing real estate closings, so I know all about stress, and not being able to eat when working, etc. The best advice I can give you is to plan. Plan your meals for the week during this time. I have a big lunch box/cooler that I holds my breakfast, lunch and snacks for work. I pack it in the morning and I know that if it's not in my lunch box, it doesn't get eaten. It also keeps me out of the office kitchen where all the goodies are. The other thing after you plan your meals is that you actually have to take the time to eat them. You will be no good to your boss or your company if you are not taking care of yourself. Take 5 minutes to have a snack. Close your computer programs and take 20 minutes to have your lunch. You don't have to take a "lunch hour", but you do have to take a few minutes for yourself.

Good luck, and happy April 16th!
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:36 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlawchik View Post
Hi Stephie and Welcome!

I'm not an accountant, but I am a paralegal doing real estate closings, so I know all about stress, and not being able to eat when working, etc. The best advice I can give you is to plan. Plan your meals for the week during this time. ...
Good luck, and happy April 16th!

Thanks everyone for the support. It is great to know there are others out there who know what I am feeling.

bizlawchik : I can only imagine that the stress you deal with is probably far greater than mine... my firm is rather laid back and only employs 7 people... which is both a blessing and a disaster at the same time as we are all really good friends (all women too ), but between the 7 of us we process over 1300 returns in a matter of 3 months or less (April 30th... tax deadline in Canada) . Unfortunately I have a family history of anxiety problems and am really bad at dealing with stress. Even though I have been doing meal planning all along on the plan, some days the sweets and treats our client bring in for us get the better of me and if I get too stressed that I can't deal anymore... well all **** breaks loose and I go straight for the carbs. This is what happened earlier this week and my counsellor berated (sp?) for it saying I should know at my age how to deal with stress. She basically told me to suck it up... that everyone who has to file a single tax return gets stressed at this time of year. I bit my tongue at this, but I felt like saying to her that she had know idea what she was talking about, that she didn't know my anxiety history or the rest of the daily dramas of my family (which are too long and detailed to get into right now), that her job is no where as stressful as mine is, and that she should try having to process 1300 tax returns in a very short time span. The real problem I find with her being the one to give me crap about what I did was not only the total lack of support, but the fact that SHE'S THE MANAGER. You'd think she would know better how to deal with clients... you know be firm, yes, but also be supportive, not mean.

Anyway, I suppose that's enough ranting for now. I know I'm a little long-winded and I apologize. Thanks for "listening".
Stephie404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:56 AM   #7  
determined to succeed

S/C/G: 180/177/130

Height: 5

i am brand new too but welcome to you also I also have been in the tax crunch mode (we do taxes but mostly loans & collections) just 2 of us in the office and both of us are trying to lose weight the weekend before my boss was to leave for a week long vacation I joined lawl wow real expensive but must say that for the first time I have stuck with something and acutally lost 3.5 pounds this is huge for me the 2 couselors I have spoke with have been great and we have cried together in both meetings as this means everything for me to get healthy and stay healthy without diet pills or liquid diets glad to be here and look forward to learning from you all !
grace2lisamills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:08 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Stephie - No one has the right to berate you. And if this is the manager, that is even worse. You are the customer and you are paying for a service. I would remind her of that fact, as well as the fact that the service you are paying for is support. If that doesn't work, you can call the LAWL customer service number on your Lites box and lodge a complaint. Or ask one of the other counselors who her supervisor is.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:26 AM   #9  
LAWL Salt Police

I know what it's like to deal with the constant barrage of goodies and snacks that get brought into an office.. members of our staff routinely bring in cookies and doughnuts and when we're out on a fire, local community members are constantly bringing food and goodies into fire camp.

The best way to deal with it is to have a ready supply of your own "on plan" goodies.. and a healthy dose of will power.. Until you understand that you DO have the power to say no to your own cravings, the diet won't work for you.

I find my will power comes and goes but as time has gone on, it's become easier.

As for your COD manager, she was wrong to tell you to "suck it up" but in her own way, I think she was reacting to the common excuse that people give for not staying on plan.. Stress is a major player when it comes to going off plan and she's probably heard it a thousand times.. HOWEVER, that does not excuse her behavior if she was berating you and she needs to know that from you soon..
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:36 PM   #10  
Start Date Alli 1-4-08

S/C/G: 262/197.5/150

Height: 5'9"

Email the dietician or call corporate and let them help. I plateaued for 4 months and while I worked diligently with the counselors in the COD, they just couldn't help me. Corporate called and we developed a plan. It helped.
RaceGrl is offline   Reply With Quote