Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 03:19 AM   #1  

Default Lean Out

Anyone tried Beverly Nutrition's Lean Out? I'm toying with the idea of buying a bottle.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:48 PM   #2  

What's in it?
Old 03-24-2007, 03:05 PM   #3  

L-Carnitine (600 mg): Maximizes the retention of muscle tissue while dieting. Helps convert stored fat into energy and keeps blood sugar levels stable.
Methionine (1000 mg): Speeds fat and cholesterol utilization, mobilizes fat from the liver to be released and used as energy.
Choline (1000 mg): A special emulsifying nutrient that helps break down cholesterol and prevents it from sticking to artery walls. Works with Inositol to utilize fats.
Inositol (1000 mg): Aids in fat transportation, metabolism, and redistribution of fat in the body.
Chromium (200 mcg): Aids sugar metabolism, improves blood lipid profile, helps fat burning and muscle gains. Moderates insulin release
CoQ 10 (10 mg): An important energy cycle catalyst, helps convert fats and sugar to energy in the cell. Protects the heart.
Betaine HCl (100 mg) B-12 (100 mcg) and Biotin (450 mcg).: Important co factors in the conversion of fats to energy.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:33 PM   #4  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

While none of those nutrients are harmful, I don't think they'll make a significant impact on weight -- if you take a multivitamin already you should be well-covered for nutrients (with a few exceptions, like Calcium).
Old 03-25-2007, 02:15 AM   #5  
kinesiologist

Beverly Nutrition nutrition has a solid product and always have, they are one of the few companies i would ever think about taking a protein supplement from. They are old school but their products work. Also I would really look carefully into what type of multi-vitamins you are taking a whole bunch of vitamins and even supplements at that contain tons of fillers.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:09 AM   #6  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgirl2007 View Post
L-Carnitine (600 mg): Maximizes the retention of muscle tissue while dieting. Helps convert stored fat into energy and keeps blood sugar levels stable.
Methionine (1000 mg): Speeds fat and cholesterol utilization, mobilizes fat from the liver to be released and used as energy.
Choline (1000 mg): A special emulsifying nutrient that helps break down cholesterol and prevents it from sticking to artery walls. Works with Inositol to utilize fats.
Inositol (1000 mg): Aids in fat transportation, metabolism, and redistribution of fat in the body.
Chromium (200 mcg): Aids sugar metabolism, improves blood lipid profile, helps fat burning and muscle gains. Moderates insulin release
CoQ 10 (10 mg): An important energy cycle catalyst, helps convert fats and sugar to energy in the cell. Protects the heart.
Betaine HCl (100 mg) B-12 (100 mcg) and Biotin (450 mcg).: Important co factors in the conversion of fats to energy.
If those claims were accurate, we'd all take it and there wouldn't be an obesity problem in America. Heck, I'd buy stock in the company Remember that supplement makers are allowed to exaggerate and even fabricate claims without proving them. They are not regulated by the FDA.

Some of the items on the list have been shown to have some benefit (for heart health, etc), but not in the dosages they provide. Some of the items on the list have been proven NOT to be helpful, but they continue to add them because most people don't read the studies, they just read the claims. You'll gain very little, if any benefit from this product.

If you eat a balanced diet, you'll get what you need. Methionine, for example, is an amino acid found in meat, fish, eggs, and dairy.

Betaine HCl - why is that even there? It can damage the lining of your stomach, and should only be taken upon advice of your physician.

I agree with AquaWarlock. Take a good quality multi-vitamin, eat a calorie controlled and nutritionally balanced diet, and you'll get everything you need to lose weight.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:15 PM   #7  
kinesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post

If you eat a balanced diet, you'll get what you need. Methionine, for example, is an amino acid found in meat, fish, eggs, and dairy.

I agree with AquaWarlock. Take a good quality multi-vitamin, eat a calorie controlled and nutritionally balanced diet, and you'll get everything you need to lose weight.
I would have to disagree unless your eating very organic very raw fruits and veggies I think it would be hard to get all the minerals and vitamins that you would need. Veggies and fruits are not the same that they were about 30 years ago, soils aren' that great of a nutrional source since we've really been depleating it and also pesticides is another thing to look out for. If your going with a multi vitamins get it from a good source.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:04 PM   #8  
it's always something

I don't believe that we live in an age where we need supplements to provide necessary nutrition to our diets. What we need is to eat balanced diets and eliminate the junk, and add more real fruits and vegetables to our diets. I do agree that organic is a better choice for several reasons, but organic is not always an available option to everyone. Even non-organic fruits and vegetables are powerhouses of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber, and many more nutrients essential to good health. Even the need to take a simple multi-vitamin can be debatable.

The real problem that we see is the incessant pushing of weight loss supplements. It's simply not necessary. Eat well, and get some exercise. Most weight loss supplements carry false claims and many are potentially dangerous. It should be a regulated industry. But I guess if it were, they might go out of business.

Our purpose, on this website, is to promote good health and a healthy weight through a balanced diet and exercise program, without the use of controversial products.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:19 PM   #9  
kinesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
I don't believe that we live in an age where we need supplements to provide necessary nutrition to our diets. What we need is to eat balanced diets and eliminate the junk, and add more real fruits and vegetables to our diets. I do agree that organic is a better choice for several reasons, but organic is not always an available option to everyone. Even non-organic fruits and vegetables are powerhouses of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber, and many more nutrients essential to good health. Even the need to take a simple multi-vitamin can be debatable.

The real problem that we see is the incessant pushing of weight loss supplements. It's simply not necessary. Eat well, and get some exercise. Most weight loss supplements carry false claims and many are potentially dangerous. It should be a regulated industry. But I guess if it were, they might go out of business.

Our purpose, on this website, is to promote good health and a healthy weight through a balanced diet and exercise program, without the use of controversial products.
While i agree with you, all i'm stating is that the quality of vitamins through food is not the same as it use to be. Hence why there is a need to sometimes supplement with high quality multi vitamins. Please note Suzanne that I'm not stating that a super dose of vitamins is requires I'm saying a hi quality. Most foods are already fortified with vitamins and minerals as it is. By spraying the foods with them cereals and breads. For those who are on certain diets that are mentioned here in sub forums a big part is supplementation of vitamins because if it's not impossilbe it's very difficult to get the required amount of macro and micro nutrients. This is why i believe a well balanced nutritional plan is required to sucess rather than fad diets.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:26 PM   #10  
Mel

In answer to the original poster- the supplement is NOT going to help you lose weight any faster than eating a clean, unprocessed diet and exercising to create a caloric deficit. If you aren't getting enough of certain vitamins and minerals, take a multi-vitamin. If you don't eat enough dairy, have a family history of osteoporosis or are post-menopausal, most doctors suggest that you take 500 mg. of calcium with magnesium in the morning and another 500 mg in the evening with food.

I take quite a few supplements, but not because they speed up weight loss. Because I've cut out entire food groups for health reasons, I need supplements to stay healthy.

Mel
Old 03-25-2007, 06:28 PM   #11  
kinesiologist

There are a couple issues that should be addressed, is their a problem with low bone density in your family esp in the female side of your family? How long have you been on it. I'm not sure but i think they suggest you take a break from it after a certain point. I would really talk to your practioner about it in more detail but there are a good 6 things you can do to promote bone health I'll list them for you. Exercise provides a local osteogenic effect (specificity), progressively increasing intensity promotes continued improvement (overload), people who have a low total bone mass have the greated potential for improvement, this is why i was asking about a history of this (initial values) also as you get older the gains you would normally experience will take more effort to get there. Another thing to remember while trying to promote bone growth is that bone cells become desensitized in response to prolonged mechanical loading sessions and once you stop exercising the overload reverses the positive osteogenic effects of the exercise.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #12  
lisa

S/C/G: 209.5/193/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi,
I was just reading a few threads and was wondering if anyone has tried Tonnalin(SP)?/ This is the all natural fat burner made with safflower oil. I didn't know if it would help boost fat loss. I actually should have my BMI done then try it to really be able to tell.
Lisa
Old 03-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #13  
Mel

Lisa,
The all natural fat burner is clean eating to create a caloric deficit, weight training to build muscle which is metabolically active, and cardiovascular exercise to improve your health and help burn fat.

Mel
Closed Thread