Old 03-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #1  
Looking forward

Height: 5' 6''

Default Emotional Eater

I am having a rough time right now emotionally and know I have to be careful when I go home that I do not eat based on my emotions. I have been trying blogging and praying instead. Course, the fact that I am actually hungry doesn't help but I am trying everything I can think of to stay strong. Thanks for listening, this is my stop and think zone.
Jade235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 320

Height: 58

Hi Jade,

Well, you can always think of the 30 lbs you have lost so far!!!

I know its a tough road not to use food as a cushion but I know you can do it. So when you get home, make something nice, healthy and filling. So when you are done, you will be too stuffed to think of eating anything else.

Another thing that helps me when I'm craving food, is to write my feelings at that moment. It's always good to get your feelings out there, so you don't use food as a way of comforting yourself I know its hard, trust me). But this really helps me.

Either way, you are defintely on the right track and I know you well be OK.
mnms24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:55 PM   #3  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

It seems like you're on the right track! I thought I'd share a few tricks that I'm trying to incorporate into my life, as I've just discovered that I'm an emotional eater, too. Hopefully something here will be useful to you -- but if not, then just know that I know where you're coming from!

-I put on my headphones, play my favourite songs (usually ones that I know will cheer me up) and go for a walk. I find it very relaxing, especially if I stop now and then to admire the view. There are always things around the neighbourhood that I've never noticed before, and they often distract me and cheer me up. (Plus, it's exercise, but it doesn't feel like exercise.)

-If I really get the need to eat, I'll chop up a bunch of celery, or chew some gum. This often fills the "must eat!" urges. Plain popcorn, if I've got calorie leeway. If I'm REALLY fighting the cravings, I'll go to the corner store and buy one whip of licorice, or a single gummy or something equally tiny (taking only the exact amount of change with me so I don't get tempted), and then take tiny nibbles. Often get strange looks for it, but it's better than splurging on an entire package of candies (which is what I'd normally do.)

I should try blogging. I have a blog, but I don't use it for days when I'm depressed...going to start doing that now.

I look forward to checking back to this thread to see what other people do to help them get past these urges. Hope you're feeling better!
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:55 PM   #4  
Looking forward

Height: 5' 6''

Thanks everyone, I was able to refrain from binging on anything sweet. I ended up staying home from work today, which is sort of a hard thing both because I am missing out on my income, but also because at my house (I live at my mom's with my two sisters and brother-in-law) there are CONSTANTLY sweet treats everywhere. I just got through with lunch and saw that we have double stuff oreo cookies, probably one of my favorites (I'm a cookie fan in general, but I really LOVE those!) Thankfully I had a fairly large bowl of split pea and ham soup, so I'm feeling pretty full but I know I'm going to want to have some cookies. I had originally set a goal for myself to not have ANY baked goods or sweets until my wedding in October. That is still my big goal as far as keeping something out of my diet, but I figure if I break it down into smaller more managable goals, I will be more likely to be successful. So today I am thinking, "Orea cookies are not worth sacrificing my will power and resolve to what is BEST for me, not giving into something that will make me feel good for a fleeting moment". It's funny how everytime I start to write this out and think about what I really want for myself I feel very empowered. I used to fear food and now realize I don't have to because I am in control of what I eat, what I eat (or don't eat) is not in control of me. Thanks again for the responses and encouragement, it helps to stay strong.
Jade235 is offline   Reply With Quote