Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 05:20 AM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Cool ~fiber fanatics~

We welcome everyone with tips, recipes, support and general conversation. We’d love to hear how the boosting of fiber has helped you consistently lose weigh. We'll report our fiber count daily or weekly, whatever works best for you.

If your goal is to lose body fat, increasing your fiber intake can help in three ways:

The typical adult consumes less than 20 grams of fiber per day. This is about 50% of the recommended amount of dietary fiber for good health.Eat Fiber to Lose Body Fat.
1. High fiber foods can help control appetite by reducing insulin
levels in the blood, a hormone that stimulates appetites.
2. The body uses more energy to digest and absorb high fiber
foods than refined or low fiber foods (burns more calories)
3. High fiber foods are filling but low in fat (many are fat free)

High Fiber Foods:

Generally require more chewing time giving your body time to register when you're no longer hungry, so you're less likely to overeat.

Tends to make a meal feel larger and linger longer, so you stay full for a greater amount of time.

Less "energy dense," which means they have fewer calories for the same volume of food.

Speeding up the time it takes food to pass through the large intestines, thereby diluting toxic and carcinogenic compounds

Helpful for those who want to lose weight, since fiber absorbs water so you feel full and satisfied throughout the day.

Can help improve your eating habits, which can lead to weight loss and more energy!

Good Morning!
Everyone feel free to share whatever you want, especially ways of getting your fiber in. Those that are doing the Fiber35 plan can maybe give us tips from the book. W.Watchers that do core, Calorie counters, etc. can also clue us in on what's working for them.

Tuesday's Journal:
Calories... 1,020
Fat... 16%
Fiber... 53 grams

The majority of my fiber came from 2 serving of Fiber One and 1 Flat Out. I always eat 1 serving Fiber One dry with coffee while doing e-mails in the morning. Then later in the morning I made egg white/turkey breast omelets and toast. I use the low calorie bread that has 4 grams of fiber in two slices.

For lunch I had homemade tomato/spinach soup, no idea how much fiber in that. For dessert I toasted a Flat Out (I use a counter toaster oven rather than heating up the big oven), spray it with ICBINB (I Can't Believe It's Not Butter), sprinkle with cinnamon/Splenda or Stevia and topped with 4 oz. applesauce and SF/FF cool whip. Mock Apple Tart,hehe!

Stir-fried vegetables and brown rice pilaf with our chicken breast for supper, lots of fiber in the stir-fry. I think tomorrow I'll keep better track of my fiber instead of letting fitday do it.

For those who haven't tried the Flat Out wraps, they are quite large, (7" x 10") have 90 calories, 6 net carbs and 9 grams of fiber. This is my favorite food to buy because of the fiber and the many versatile ways of using it. You can make all kinds of wraps/roll ups with it or toast it in the oven and top with sweet stuff or make Pizza's with them.

The balance of my fiber came from my evening snack of Chocolate pudding mixed into 1 serving Fiber One and FF/SF Cool whip. Mock Haystacks? Stir the F.One in just before you eat this so it stays crunchy.

I can't wait to hear how you all get your fiber in, please share.
I'd be interested in hearing about some of the cleanses some of you were talking about, how often and the benefits, etc.

Have a great day, Bobbi
Old 03-21-2007, 07:30 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Good morning everyone. Don't kill me all, but I don't track EXACTLY to the "T" how much fiber I am eating. My meals are very often the same or very similiar, Since I know what the calories are already I don't bother to enter it into Fitday, hence I don't know the exact Fiber/calorie count. Maybe one day soon I will do it just for the heck of it - but not today.

My breakfast is always, always (for now) 1/2 cup Fiber One cereal and 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean Cereal w 1/2 cup skim milk. So that's 19 grams.

Morning snack is usually 1 Danon lite and fit yougurt with 1 tbsp or so of Fiber One so maybe that's another - 3 gms

Lunch is usually some kind of veggie burger with 3 cups of cauliflower, so that's another 12 grams of the stuff. I eat cauliflower about 5 times a week, it's great stuff. 28 calories and 4 grams of fiber per cup.

Afternoon snack is like Bobbo's, it tastes like chocolate pudding pie - 60 calorie chocolate jello pudding with a squirt of fat free whipped cream and about 1 tbsp of Fiber One cereal - so I figure another 3 grams.

Here comes the hard part. Dinner. Probably 3 times a week I have a stir fry. With chicken breast and tons of veggies like peppers, spinach, broccoli, mushrooms and zuchinni and whatever else is lying around the house. So I haven't added that up exactly. I'll approximate it at 7 grams.

And I had some plain Fiber One cereal just to munch on. I will approximate at 45 grams, though it was probably more.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:08 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

Okay, I just checked the label on yesterday's veggie burger. Actually it was a Morning Star Farms Chick Patty and it has 2 grams. So, yay!!!! There's another 2 grams in my pocket.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:51 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I actually don't count my fiber but maybe I should. I just know I try to get a lot in.

For example, last nights dinner was
1/2 cup of brown rice (1.8 g)
1 cup of green beans (3.7 g)
1 cup of bean mixture (approximiately 11 g of fiber)
3 oz or so of chicken breast (no fiber)

I also did decide to order some of the Fiber35 shake and bars. I wanted to try them, they have pretty decent ingredients and are pretty fibrous. They are really expensive though so I think it will definitely be a try rather than something I would use regularly.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:59 AM   #5  

Default My Tuesday:

Calories: 1200
Fat: 19.5
Fiber: 55

Breakfast: oatmeal, milk, orange (11g fiber)

Lunch: chili, pbj sandwich, milk (17 g fiber)

Dinner: casserole, banana (20 g fiber)

snack: fiber 1 (7 g fiber)

So, are the veggie burgers good?? What brand?? I am not sure how I feel about beef. We have an opportunity with a friend who will put a steer on grass only without any hormones and on pasture instead of corn fed. I really like that because I feel the biggest problem with beef is the hormones (milk too really). We can have it cut lean. I am not sure how I feel about all of that.

I haven't exercised for a couple of days. Normally, I exercise daily but it is that time of year when everything thaws and my allergies give me a little trouble. Maybe I will feel better with a workout but right now I feel a little excessively tired.

It looks like you are all doing great! What a group of fiber finatics!!

I forgot who suggested these cookbooks . . . but this questions is for you . . . how does this cookbook look??

The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking: Your Culinary Resource to Hundreds of Delicious Kitchen-Tested Dishes - Sandra Woodruff; Paperback

Are they high fiber recipes?? From what I saw on the reviews it looks like really normal recipes that would work well for this plain jane--er.

Gina

Old 03-21-2007, 12:26 PM   #6  
Just Me

As for veggie burgers, I think you need to try them for yourself to see if they are good or not. I love love veggie burgers that are entirely veggies. I hate veggie burgers that pretend to be meat like and are made with soy. I'm not a big fan of any product that tries to be meat like but isn't, I always find the taste wrong. I heard there is something such as black bean burgers as well? I might look into those but I'm also not sure if they try to add soy to them as well.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:32 PM   #7  

Default Thank you Nellie!!

The black bean burgers sound great to me. I have a bit of a thyroid problem and soy is apparently not good for people with that problem. So, maybe that is why soy tastes awful to me. I use to soy shakes and couldn't stand them. My girlfriends would go on and on about how good they were and all I could think was YUK I need to chug this so I only taste it once!!

Hey, for the people reading Fiber35 in the book she talks about a sauna. She had a PBS special and said we could "zip up" and get our sauna. Does anyone know what she is talking about??

later!! Gina
Old 03-21-2007, 01:38 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

Hi Gina, the only veggie burgers that I like are Morning Star Farms Spicy Bean Burger, and yes they are made from soy. I eat the Morning Star Farms Chick Pattie as well. Also made from soy.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:53 PM   #9  
Just Me

I actually like soy shakes but I also try to control the amount of soy I eat just because of the possible thyroid connection.

For some reason though, the fake meat thing gets me. I tried veggie crumbles, hiding them in food and still couldn't stand it. Oh well, I can survive without
Old 03-21-2007, 04:00 PM   #10  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi gang . . .

I'm here . . . I have two functioning eyes . . . only they don't work well as a set at the Bottom line - I'm feeling very lop-sided and probably will continue that way until the other eye is done in early May. Weird feeling - you don't know how much you miss binocular vision until you don't exactly have it anymore.

I was the one who posted about the Sandra Woodruff cookbooks, Gina. I'm not familiar with the one you mention, but i never met one of her books I didn't like. They are not high fibre specifically, just good I have are . . .
Secrets of Fat Free Cooking; Secrets of Fat Free Desserts; The Good Carb Cookbook; and Secrets of Good Carb Living. BTW . . . you double-posted . . . perhaps you'd like to erase one of them?

Guess I'll go back to the old thread and bring over the info on my week that ended yesterday.

Here it is . . . Average Daily for week ending March 21/07:
Total Calories = 1644.4;
Grams of Fat = 46.1;
Grams of Carbs = 200.8;
Grams of Protein = 106.5;
Grams of Fibre = 53.7;
Net Grams of Carbs = 147.1

Today, has not been one of my better efforts so far. Nothing too bad about it (all things considered) just nothing too good either.

Anyway, Chickies, I posted a link to here from the old thread and got it officially closed so that nobody will be able to post there by mistake. That's about it for me, for now . . . the computer screen is starting to waver around.
Keep doing the good stuff and be sure to have a great moving and shaking kind of evening.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:26 PM   #11  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

My Tuesday:

calories: 1232
fat: 33.7 grams
fiber: 39.5 grams

Nelie- please let us know how you like the bars and shakes. I am thinking of ordering the shakes.

Those flatout breads are great as a base for an individual pizza. Add some sauce, cheese, turkey pepperoni and it is a very filling meal.

Today I tried fiber one with my yogurt. It was pretty good. To me fiber one looks like gerbil food but I got past that fast. So I had a snack that was 160 calories and 14 grams of fiber.

So far today I have had 28 grams of fat. I am sure I will make 35 grams by the end of the day.

bev
Old 03-21-2007, 05:46 PM   #12  

Default Hey:

Hey Bev! I took a look at the fiber35 shakes. They don't have soy. Here is what it says.

The Fiber35 FitSmart Shake is a nutrient rich meal supplement you can enjoy with or between meals for a great-tasting energy boost. Each serving contains 20 grams of whey protein and 10 grams of natural acacia fiber to help fill you up and leave you feeling satisfied. Each shake is a delicious way to help you reach your daily goal of 35 grams of fiber with added vitamins, nutrients and beneficial enzymes. Indulge in one of three flavors: Chocolate Crème, Old-Fashioned Vanilla or Strawberry Dream.

I should have ordered that when I got my colon cleanse. Tonight I have a bunko party and it would be great to have a little shake before I go. I am going to have a hard time getting my fiber in today.

Also: TMI . . . I am gassy and understand the "flush" part of fiber35 and I am a little concerned about having a fiber bar before I go out. What do you think?? Will it be a problem?? It would help me with my fiber goal today but I would just die if I stunk the place up.

Gina
Old 03-21-2007, 06:15 PM   #13  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Quote:
TMI . . . I am gassy and understand the "flush" part of fiber35 and I am a little concerned about having a fiber bar before I go out. What do you think?? Will it be a problem?? It would help me with my fiber goal today but I would just die if I stunk the place up.
You are a riot, why don't you just eat the bar when you get home?
Old 03-21-2007, 07:44 PM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

Just curious. How many calories are in these Fiber35 Shakes? Anyone know?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:11 PM   #15  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

In 2 scoops of the shake there are:

calories: 160
Total Fat 1.00 gram
Dietary Fiber 10.00 grams
Protein 20.00 grams

I might end up ordered the chocolate shakes. I already have shakes but it doesn't have any fiber in it.

Bev
Closed Thread